Changing Things With Free Agents / Draft

ArmyBengal

Bold move by the Browns. Good for them for stepping up to make their team better. However, long term I don't think this will be a good decision. I could be wrong. But it doesn't seem like OBJ is thrilled about the move. On top of it the Browns lose one of their starting safeties. Peppers is a first round pick. They also lose their first round pick this year and a 3rd rounder. Then they will have to pay OBJ a very nice salary sometime soon.

All these moves by the Browns kind of feel like the Eagles attempt at the "dream team" a few years back. We all know how that went. And what usually happens when teams jump the shark. 

3 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Yeah they gave up way too much for him, and he's still owed a lot of $$ in the future.   But he and Landry will be tough on the same team.   The Browns aren't fooling  around.

The Bengals will counter by re-signing Tony McRae and Preston Brown, just wait!

They did sign Preston Brown!

oh and get this 3 years 21 million!!!

I like Brown but not for that kind of money. I'm telling you this front office has no clue!

Weird facts about Bobby Hart - the highest college honor he earned was 3rd team all ACC his senior year at Florida State.  He was a 7th round pick for the Giants.  Giovanni Bernard was his college teammate.  Bobby got his chance to start for the Giants after the first teamer got hurt.  That injured first teamer was Marshall Newhouse.

I really don't have a problem with Brown coming back.

Most thought that was a good add last year and that was truly the first time he's been hurt in his career.
He's still the best LB (I know that's not saying much) on the team.  Just add pieces.

Bobby Hart on the other hand can still go eat a dick.

The Browns must really be impressed by one handed catches during warmups, OBJ’s specialty.  To give up Jabril Peppers, a first, and a third for a player, dude should be a monster, and should have like many years left on a team friendly deal.  I honestly can’t believe that trade.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I really don't have a problem with Brown coming back.

Most thought that was a good add last year and that was truly the first time he's been hurt in his career.
He's still the best LB (I know that's not saying much) on the team.  Just add pieces.

Bobby Hart on the other hand can still go eat a dick.

I don't mind signing Hart or Brown, what I mind is how much money they are giving these guys. 

For the amount of money spent on these guys they could have gotten somebody who could have made an impact. Instead they give starter money to a backup. Yes for the money they are paying him he is starting.

This team sucked last year, but they continue to sign players who did nothing for them. While other teams are in the win now category, the bengals are always content on what they have, even if failed the year before. 

Marvin maybe gone, but I still feel like I have seen this story written before, year after year. 

32 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

#Groundhog Dey

Yup this is very true.

Go look at when Sean McVay became headcoch, and who the Rams got in FA for him in year one and in year two. No wonder why he had such huge success.

I don't want to say Taylor is doomed, but not sure the bengals are setting the first time head coach up for success here.

I really liked the hiring of Taylor, just wish Mike Brown or Duke Tobin or whoever does the hiring around here would do a little more to help him out. 

#Groundhog day for sure, with change comes the same story, just with different characters.

15 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

You can't expect people to be excited about, or even "ok" with it though.  It's more of the same bad personnel decisions they've made a lot of, the last 2-3 years in particular.   I don't understand why he cost them $7 mil a year, not sure who else would pay him near that much.  I'd rather have had Kroft back, and overpay him.

Disagree.   First this isn’t about excitement or acceptance.  At the end of the day Hart hasn’t been good on the team’s weakest position group.

Media and in depth fans should know Bengals typically have 4 main tackles on the roster.

Media and in depth fans should know by now that contract values in FA are never the reality.  It’s been 20 years.

At this point it’s fact to replace Hart with another bad RT cost you more. 

Still have 2 tackle spots to fill.  Hart will get first chance to start (guessing) If he is beat out his contract does not preclude from keeping as a 3rd tackle in the future. 

Look at the cap growth and league dynamics.  There has been a shortage of quality tackles for about 4/5 years.   Veteran back up low end starters are now in that 4-7 mil range.

It’s not worth the outrage. It was a one year prove it deal at market value. 

People got fooled by the reporting of $21 mil and ignorance of cap growth. 

4 hours ago, volcom69 said:

Go look at when Sean McVay became headcoch, and who the Rams got in FA for him in year one and in year two. No wonder why he had such huge success.

This is the big takeaway and why I thought this year might be different when it came to the front office.
They wanted the next Sean McVay, but did not approach things the same way.  I sure hope they don't expect playoffs in 2019.
To this point they have not improved any aspect of the team, let alone find an impact player.

The new scent of change has quickly faded from my nostrils.

Ravens also signing Mark Ingram, the RB from the Saints?

The Browns and the Ravens need to go to the Mike Brown Free Agency Seminar.  He gives it on Saturday afternoon in the conference room of a Holiday Inn Express in Madeira.  For the $185.00 seminar fee those morons running Cleveland and Baltimore could learn how you should only sign your own free agents, and only if they’ll take a hometown discount (looking directly at you Whit), and if someone else’s 7th round pick plays like dog shit on your team, but it’s passionate dog shit, you should throw 21 million in his face and call it good.

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Disagree.   First this isn’t about excitement or acceptance.  At the end of the day Hart hasn’t been good on the team’s weakest position group.

Media and in depth fans should know Bengals typically have 4 main tackles on the roster.

Media and in depth fans should know by now that contract values in FA are never the reality.  It’s been 20 years.

At this point it’s fact to replace Hart with another bad RT cost you more. 

Still have 2 tackle spots to fill.  Hart will get first chance to start (guessing) If he is beat out his contract does not preclude from keeping as a 3rd tackle in the future. 

Look at the cap growth and league dynamics.  There has been a shortage of quality tackles for about 4/5 years.   Veteran back up low end starters are now in that 4-7 mil range.

It’s not worth the outrage. It was a one year prove it deal at market value. 

People got fooled by the reporting of $21 mil and ignorance of cap growth. 

I'm not excited.  This signing, in and of itself, has dulled the whole offseason excitement I had.  New coach, new opportunities, but same outcomes.
Hart not being good at the team's weakest position, only to see him rewarded is a buzz kill for me as a fan.

Why not keep Marvin if all they were going to do is run the same turds in helmets out on the field ??

Would you pay more for cookies this year, knowing they tasted like shit last year ??

4 minutes ago, COB said:

Ravens also signing Mark Ingram, the RB from the Saints?

The Browns and the Ravens need to go to the Mike Brown Free Agency Seminar.  He gives it on Saturday afternoon in the conference room of a Holiday Inn Express in Madeira.  For the $185.00 seminar fee those morons running Cleveland and Baltimore could learn how you should only sign your own free agents, and only if they’ll take a hometown discount (looking directly at you Whit), and if someone else’s 7th round pick plays like dog shit on your team, but it’s passionate dog shit, you should throw 21 million in his face and call it good.

Whit doesn't count.  The Bengals simply didn't value him as a starter and were not going to pay him accordingly.
Whit's wife gave a detailed account of what happened when he left here.

The Bengals should be ashamed of themselves for that fiasco.

41 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'm not excited.  This signing, in and of itself, has dulled the whole offseason excitement I had.  New coach, new opportunities, but same outcomes.
Hart not being good at the team's weakest position, only to see him rewarded is a buzz kill for me as a fan.

Why not keep Marvin if all they were going to do is run the same turds in helmets out on the field ??

Would you pay more for cookies this year, knowing they tasted like shit last year ??

Dude White Castles don’t cost a nickel anymore.   So yeah, people pay more for shit. 

Like it or not Hart is a low tier starter/back up and his contract reflects that in today’s reality. 

The salary cap has gone up at least $10 mil a year for 6 consecutive years.   

There was half billion of cap room available at the start of FA.