Changing Things With Free Agents / Draft

ArmyBengal

So now it looks like the bengas might hire Jim Turner to coach the o-line,. That's a big no thanks for me. 

So he coached the Dolphins o-line when they had that big falling apart of guys threatening one another.

He coached are one and only Cedric.  He has also been suspended multiple times from Texas A&M and one for making sexual jokes at some women's conference for women.

So tell me why they want this guy again. Not excited for this hire when they had Pollack here.......damnit! What ever happened to Callahan maybe even his father in law, anybody but this guy!

This maybe in the wrong thread sorry guys move it if you want

Can't imagine Taylor won't run with the current group on offense for at least a year.  He'll have his hands full upgrading the o-line and LB's. AJ and Dalton are on the other side of 30,  either build a team around them immediately or phase them out after this year and do something with the cap space and draft picks if they suck, which is always a possibility if they sit on their hands again and sign Hart's and Brown's and garbage LB's.

Uh oh...(not a fan of Murray, these guys are just making this up obviously, but I don't think Taylor wanting to draft or sign his own QB is going to go away any time soon, at least until after the draft, and then if Dalton struggles at all during the season).  I'm not sure why these guys don't understand the Bengals' have other priorities like almost an entire o-line to rebuild first, and none of the QB's who will be available at #11 this year are likely going to be worth taking if the #1 LB or #1 or #2 OT is sitting there.

Taylor would be crazy to try to install a new QB.  Surely he'll stick with Dalton for at least one season.  Anyone who writes/opines otherwise just doesn't know much about the Bengals.

We all saw those reports of the Bengals possibly signing Tannehill.  That makes no sense whatsoever and is likely not being considered at all.  National media guys who suddenly have to deliver material on a team like the Bengals are bound to come up with this stuff.  They are just so far off base it's funny.

Inside Cincinnati Dalton gets more respect but still not a ton.   Outsiders he gets much much less.

Its a product of so many playoff and primetime meltdowns.

Outside perspective is going to have Dalton in the 20s.  Inside would put him 8-15 range. 

To move on from Dalton the only way that makes since is to acquire decent picks for him.   That concept is strange to the outside crowd.

However you are going to need supreme QBing to compete with Luck, Mahomes, and I guess still Tom Brady.   Not sure Andy is that guy.

I tend to want this new staff to compete first instead of starting over with new QB.  

There's that old saying that if you do not have a franchise QB, you go get one.
Thing is, I hate this QB class and while I like Daniel Jones from Duke, I don't think #11 is the right spot for him.

A further consideration is that he will likely be viewed as the best of the group and over drafted before we have to consider it.
That leaves a selection of turds that I would rather not have when considering what other players are going to be there for the taking.

There are worse things than Dalton under center in 2019.

12 hours ago, volcom69 said:

So now it looks like the bengas might hire Jim Turner to coach the o-line,. That's a big no thanks for me. 

I remember listening to a long radio interview with this guy a few months after he was fired.  

My impressions from that interview:  

He will be an effective coach.  He will instill toughness and tenacity.  

The situation in Miami spiraled out of control on him.  He trusted Ritchie Incognito, who by any reasonable account was a very tough, very effective, guard.  Incognito bullied tackle Jonathon Martin. 

Ritchie Incognito believed Martin was too soft to play in the NFL, and needed to be challenged and pushed.  Turner agreed with this approach. 

In reality, both men just completely misread Jonathon Martin.  What they perceived to be a passive young guy who needed to be toughened up was really a guy trying to deal with a yet to be diagnosed mental illness.  Poor Jonathon Martin really had no business trying to play in the NFL at that time.  The last thing he needed was a teammate calling him racial slurs and talking about doing various sexual things with his sister, but in the darwinian world of an NFL locker room, that's what he got.  

During the interview Turner basically defended Incognito.  He didn't agree that Incognito's tactics were correct, as the behavior he exhibited is abhorrent and seems to be pretty unique to him.  Instead he said Incognito shouldn't be blackballed because he actually was doing what Turner wanted.  He wanted Incognito to instill an absolute badass mentality on the offensive line.  Turner went on to complain about his own firing, and an under the table agreement amongst teams to blackball him.  He just said the situation they were faced with in Jonathon Martin was not something that anyone understood at the time. 

I recall the interviewer saying things like, "but no one should ever get this rough abusive treatment in the workplace."  Turner was really calm but took exception to those types of statements.  He said that look, you don't know that much about what goes on in the world of NFL linemen, it's violent and abusive by its very nature.  He also said stop calling it a "workplace" like it's similar to working in an office or a factory.  He said it's totally different than any other job, we pay these guys completely differently than any "workplace" you might know in your own life, and we hire them to pretty much engage in violent fights.  They do a job that's not like anything in our normal lives, and they treat each other and their jobs differently.  He said it takes a unique personality to thrive in it, and Jonathon Martin was at the other end of the unique spectrum.  

Listening to that interview really changed my mind about this guy.  I support this hiring.  In no way am I surprised by the allegations regarding off-color remarks about sexual matters and women.  It sounds like him.  We aren't hiring someone to run the PTO or teach kindergarten.  Tell him to keep a lid on his stupid opinions, and let him do his thing.  Honestly, after watching that group last season, our o-line room needs this.  

I don't think they'll upseat Dalton this season but I do think a back up QB either through FA or draft is a must, Driskell proved last season that even with a run of games he just wasn't good enough

Turner, I dunno.     I remember him taking up for Tom Brady during deflate gate.   He basically feels he got rail roaded for being open and honest with Goodell’s investigators.

Was supporting Tom Brady not handing over the cell phone because you couldn’t trust them because they had an agenda vs objectivity.

Also read/heard the bullygate was BS.  Martin didn’t want to play anymore but he wanted to keep the signing bonus money.  So he comes up with this workplace grievance and mental illness.

The guy has ties with Sherman and Taylor so at the very least he’s their guy that is available to them.   I’m sure Sherman and Taylor know the real deal with Bully-gate. 

Well according to Jumbo Fisher the bengals are hiring Turner, and I hate this move.

Bengals will be bengals though always giving guys second chances. However this move goes against everything Taylor spoke about in his press conference.

We go from Pollack to this guy, I don't like it one bit. Hopefully this is just until they can hire Callahan from Washington.

Cant wait for him to come in and say he will get Cedric to play better, since he coached him at A&M.

Would have rather had Bill Callahan but he had baggage too.

At least they didn’t hire the other Dolphins Line coach that was sending videos of him snorting coke to a stripper before meetings.

We’ll see with Turner.  The bully-gate stuff doesn’t bother me Goodell is a clown see Burfict and Deflate gate. 

Still need some talent on that line. 

4 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Would have rather had Bill Callahan but he had baggage too.

At least they didn’t hire the other Dolphins Line coach that was sending videos of him snorting coke to a stripper before meetings.

We’ll see with Turner.  The bully-gate stuff doesn’t bother me Goodell is a clown see Burfict and Deflate gate. 

Still need some talent on that line. 

Hahaha yeah exactly!  I totally forgot about the coke-snorting stripper-loving assistant coach... man , no one knows how hard it is to run an NFL team!

So who do you target at #3 ??

Hmmmmm talk of a QB gets stronger with a move like that. I would hate to think of the cost of that move when considering other needs of this team in the coming seasons.

I would hate that move and think the impact of losing future draft picks would do more harm than good.

Ok, so here's the closest I could get in relation to trading from #11 to #3 overall.

In 2016, the Eagles and Browns made the Carson Wentz trade.  The trade involved the Eagles moving from #8 overall to #2 overall.  (A move 6 spots up the board for those challenged by math)
Along with the #8 pick in the swap, the Eagles gave up a 3rd and 4th rounder in 2016, a 1st rounder in 2017 and a 2nd rounder in 2018.

Now what would a move for the Bengals cost when considering it would be moving 8 spots into the top 3 ??  That sounds like a steep move for an unknown.
Would Zac Attack really give up the farm for a QB that could be there at #11 ??

Another player I see is Josh Allen, 3-4 OLB from Kentucky who is just a beast and WON'T fall to #11, but damn that's a ton for a LB.
That would also further shove the 3-4 switch forward, which would make sense if they bring the Rams coach over as the DC.

Overall, it just seems like entirely too much to consider when looking at the needs of this team and contracts coming due in the next couple of seasons.

Either way I'd be fine if this happens below: (and agree, no idea who they'd actually "need" this year in the top 3,  and if that rumor is true, am wondering if it's a Mike Brown deal, and he has his sights on someone like Haskins).  But I would "think" Taylor would be given the ability to lead with that kind of thing, so I wonder where that rumor came from, and how accurate it is.

As the Mock Draft Turns.....

Just watched McShay's 2.0 from last week and he has us taking Cody Ford even though Devin White is still on the board.
Stated you just can't have a player like White sitting there at #12 and pass on him.  I agree we need o-line help, but not more than a guy like White at #11.

On a side note, he didn't have QB Daniel Jones going in the first round at all.
I would hope at that point, they would be trying to make a move to grab him up, but surely wouldn't be the only team.

If Taylor does happen to be enamored by some QB, I kinda hope it isn't Haskins.  I mean, I know jack shit compared to NFL scouts etc... but every time I watched him, he seemed like he had a very slow release -- like Byron Leftwich slow.  Especially behind a shoddy line that would be a recipe for problems early.

Of course, I could be wrong and he'll be fabulous.  But we're on a message board, and talking out of our asses is our pastime.

What ??  You mean us fans don't know it all ??   BWAAAAHAAAAHAAAAA, whatever !!!  We are a bunch of football gurus around this joint.

That being said, If I could only pick one QB, it would be Jones out of Duke.
I'm a Buckeyes fan and don't want Haskins either.  Certainly don't want 5'9 Kyler Murray either.

After them, it doesn't appear good.  Might be the worst QB draft class in history.

The only thing wrong with Haskins (in my opinion) is his lack of starting college experience.   His highlight reel is one of the best I've seen from a declaring QB.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if Brown fell in love with him like he did Ki-Jana or Akili or Klingler, and wanted to trade-up to get him (given that he's an OSU QB).  I think drafting a QB at some point is certainly in the cards this year, if the right one is there at any point.  But meh, it's too early to predict anything right now until the combine/workouts are over at least.  Basically I'd have no problem drafting Haskins, or any of his WR's for that matter.