Changing Things With Free Agents / Draft

ArmyBengal

Ok, so I started looking into some free agents and the draft a little bit more recently.

I have seen a lot of talk about new leadership wanting new QB's to lead their team.  Maybe so, but I don't think this is the year to do that and want nothing to do with Tyler Murray from Oklahoma. (5 foot 9 inches)
That being said, it's interesting to look at the fact the Bengals have bunch of free agents I feel comfortable seeing walk out the door, but not in 2020.
2020 has players like AJ, Boyd, and Gio from the skill positions and a starter in Boling, which may be able to be upgraded, but not sure if he's still average at worst.

I want to see them make a push for one of the top 3 OT's available in free agency.  Brown from the Pats (don't see that), James from the Dolphins, or Williams from the Panthers.
An absolute dream come true would be to see them top that by getting either LB in Hicks from the Eagles (should have drafted him) or Perryman from the Chargers.

That would set them up AMAZINGLY well for the draft, with them likely sitting on 10 picks.

For FAs, I think they need to get 1-2 average to sightly above average OLs, preferably a ORG and a ORT, who may be buried in the depth chart on another team but are starter quality. The OLT we need should be drafted. I dont see it being even remotely possible that we'll land a top FA at any position

I think we have ourselves a OC between one of Price or Hopkins

Linebacker (inside, outside, doesnt matter) is a spot that also needs to get a starter in FA and a top prospect in the draft. Any LB we pick up needs to have coverage skills

I am really worried about news I am hearing that our new DC will be a 3-4 guy. that really, really messes up our personnel for the next several years

I alluded to a possible change to HELP with the players we have. Running a 3-4 might actually benefit them when considering their players.

Dunlap, Billings and Atkins across the front with Hubbard and Lawson on the outside linebacker spots. Draft Devon White and a free agent for the middle and they are now a great strength.

Atkins isn’t that but Billings is. Yes would still need backups for some positions. 

Not that anyone has, but let’s not forget that the 4-3 is their base but when they ran the nickel in the past, which was often, that wasn’t always the case.

Hard to say until the coaches are hired but I am intrigued by the thought.

Again, in looking at our personnel they could turn them into a strength running a 3-4 scheme.

I have my dreams of Jordan Hicks wanting to play for his hometown team and coming back home. Then team him with Devin White in the first round and we are set.

Hubbard, Hicks, White, and Lawson 

Looks like a solution more than a problem.

I’ve been wrong about the backers for while.  I fell for the hobszone hype.  They and the RG RT and backup LT to Glenn are a must target.

Vigil May have the tools and he may eventually make the tackle but he isn’t mentally there.  He is so slow to react to the play that he just gives up 3 yards almost immediately. Now if that’s coaching, well, those coaches are gone.  I think it’s more on him as a pro player.

Burficts injuries and suspensions...

Brown injured.

Rey old and not a starter quality anyway 

after that , all flops so far

8 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Again, in looking at our personnel they could turn them into a strength running a 3-4 scheme.

I have my dreams of Jordan Hicks wanting to play for his hometown team and coming back home. Then team him with Devin White in the first round and we are set.

Hubbard, Hicks, White, and Lawson 

Looks like a solution more than a problem.

I have to side with the guys saying that we need another NT and I cringe to think about Lawson trying to cover small backs or slot guys.  He has had tons of injuries since he was in college

We have a bunch of picks to either move up into the 4th or 5th rounds and take fliers on guys. In my thoughts any type of scheme change requires a change in philosophy regarding free agency. Give me two higher end free agents and you can totally change the dynamic and direction of this team.

Ju’Wuan James and Jordan Hicks

James wants out of Miami and Hicks is a Cincinnati boy that has already won a Super Bowl. The Eagles being 18 million over the cap will be a challenge for them to hold him.

Well, what if the Bengals new coaching staff DOES want a shiny new QB ??

If that is the case, give me Daniel Jones from Duke.
I took some time to watch game highlights of the kid and wow can he toss the ball around.
At 6'5 he also won't see as many throws batted down at the line of scrimmage.
Oh, the dude can run as well.

14 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Well, what if the Bengals new coaching staff DOES want a shiny new QB ??

If that is the case, give me Daniel Jones from Duke.
I took some time to watch game highlights of the kid and wow can he toss the ball around.
At 6'5 he also won't see as many throws batted down at the line of scrimmage.
Oh, the dude can run as well.

Tall, lantern-jawed, rocket arm.  Mike can’t say yes fast enough.  

On 2/2/2019 at 6:43 AM, GapControl said:

They’ve basically played nickels with 4 man fronts for years... they just can’t find enough talent to get 2 lbs to cover the flats and the TEs

It's true, and they're almost always in the nickel these days.  They haven't had a SS who can cover in a long time either.  Brown's approach which de-values Safeties, LB's and interior O-lineman will never win a SB.  They're often harder to replace than WR's, TE's, RB's or CB's, which Brown loves so much.   My interest is always peaked when they do something different, or take a different approach, otherwise it's just sort of pointless.

IMO,  the last thing I do if I’m Zac Taylor is fuck with the Dalton/AJ Green combo.

Yes, Dalton is a limited QB. I go get Green an extension.  

That’s your best bet starting out.  

Focus all your power on getting better run blocking for Mixon and figure out how to get Gio to complete the back field and your on your way to earning the offensive genius McVay tag.

Fuck with it and have a misstep your and your a clown.

Offense has been so bad last couple years just approach top half first/second year then you can start screwing with QB, IMO.

Earn some cred. 

I don't think he should move on from Dalton, but only stating that sometimes coaches want to bring in their guy.
IF he were to decide to draft a new QB, who would you want ??  For me, I think this QB class sucks balls.
The only one I would want is Jones.

I think a new QB THIS year would probably hurt more than it helps.

That being said, I think it would depend on who was there, how they rate them and where do they think they will finish in 2019.
If Jones is rated highly and you think you won't finish as poorly (See drafting later) they may grab their guy and have him sit a year.
It's not like Dalton is costing them a ton.

I'd still rather Devin White in the first if it's all the same...