Changing Things With Free Agents / Draft

ArmyBengal

I unlocked the thread now that the draft is over and it seems relevant since teams can start signing free agents tomorrow without any impact to the comp pick system.
Curious if there is anyone out there you guys feel would be helpful on maybe a 1-2 year deal to help fill some depth, if nothing else ??
I know they brought Danny Shelton is during the free agency period, but then drafted a DT.  Who knows if there is still any interest there ??

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

yep:  https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/05/13/jake-fisher-buffalo-bills-release-bengals-2015-second-round-pick/1188680001/

I really thought this guy would come on.  He had a very good first year playing all over - TE, hback......but just never put it together as a OT

One of the guys the Bills are keeping at TE instead of Jake is Tyler Kroft.

Sorry TJ, the Chiefs got Darron Lee from the Jets.  All it cost them was a 6th rounder.  

Mike spent the morning putting some new tabs in his 2019 Franklin Planner (Deluxe Edition).  He also had a nice talk with the young fellow who mows his grass, the youngster’s grandfather also had a hip replaced so there was a lot to talk about.

17 hours ago, COB said:

Sorry TJ, the Chiefs got Darron Lee from the Jets.  All it cost them was a 6th rounder.  

Mike spent the morning putting some new tabs in his 2019 Franklin Planner (Deluxe Edition).  He also had a nice talk with the young fellow who mows his grass, the youngster’s grandfather also had a hip replaced so there was a lot to talk about.

Where’s the outrage?  I practically started a riot at work when I read this, so I’m doing my part.  

Glad we hung onto next year’s 5th or 6th round pick.  We could get a depth guy who may be able to play teams.  Darron Lee?  Just a starting linebacker who’s better than everyone we have now?  Not for a valuable 6th rounder!

I don't care about someone else's rankings of Lee or the suspension to end last season.
He would have been better than any LB we had on the team immediately, which position group is still a big question mark regardless of the draft.
People can argue all they want about rather having the 6th round pick instead of Lee.  I'll simply disagree.

Again however, I will give this coaching staff the benefit of the doubt.

I know they said not to read into it too much, but Williams started practice at LT while Glenn kicked inside to LG.

While I don't think Glenn stays at LG unless Boling gets hurt, it would not surprise me to see Williams stay at LT come week #1.

Williams, Boling, Price, Miller, Glenn

Minus not knowing much about Miller or whomever else they stick at RG, that line already looks far better than the one they finished 2018 with.
I like that they are willing to move the pieces around and shake things up a bit.

They should be trying Glenn at ORT right now to make sure it works

Glenn at ORT almost has to be an improvement over Hart

They have several veteran players who can fill (and need lots of practice reps) at OLG while Boling is out - Westerman, Redmond, and Hopkins

What they dont have is a reliable ORT

5 hours ago, TJJackson said:

They should be trying Glenn at ORT right now to make sure it works

Glenn at ORT almost has to be an improvement over Hart

They have several veteran players who can fill (and need lots of practice reps) at OLG while Boling is out - Westerman, Redman, and Hopkins

What they dont have is a reliable ORT

my reading of the tea leaves is that Hart is their guy. I read OL coach Turner's quotes after Hart was re-signed... said that he was phenomenal. I also saw how much signing bonus the Bengals gave to him, and that was just two months ago. Maybe playing next to a top blocking TE like Drew Sample will motivate Bobby Hart to become better at, you know, blocking?

15 hours ago, princeton said:

I read OL coach Turner's quotes after Hart was re-signed... said that he was phenomenal.

Someone needs to ask coach Turner to define the word "Phenomenal", because it must mean something completely different to him.

I think the word he was searching for is "Abysmal".

• Like 1