Changing Things With Free Agents / Draft

ArmyBengal

Not to beat a dead horse, but damn, the nfl really needs to change the timing of the draft.  Way too much time between the end of the season and the draft.

They want to capture the media cycle year round, but enough is enough.  It seems like we’ve been looking at these same draft picks forever.

1 hour ago, Passepartout said:

Really think that Andy if he is not cut or traded,  is really on borrowed time to get the team to the playoffs. And it is now or never.

Agreed, and various prognosticators have us taking Haskins if he’s there at 11.  The writing would be on the wall then.  Andy would spend a year or two getting body slammed while Mike continues his glacial pace O-line rebuild, then its Andy meet Mr. Clipboard.  Kind of a backhanded compliment, but Andy would make an amazing mentor for young QBs.

I think it's really hard to gauge because we just don't know what the new coaches think of the players they inherited. 

Maybe they love some of these guys, maybe they hate them.  That could easily shift the direction they go in.
What if they hate a guy like Billings and since Taylor came from the Rams, knows what two dominant DT's can do and takes DT early ??
Maybe they love Webb and Dennard more than we know and don't bother taking CB at all.

I tend to agree with you though TJ for the most part.

I think there will be two OT's taken sooner rather than later to account for our losses and the suck still on the roster.
Linebacker is a must position to address and TE needs beefing up with Kroft leaving as well.
Agree with RB with Walton being a complete dumbass.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, I took Ed Oliver (who was still there at #11) in the first.
I was able to follow that up with OG Chris Lindstrom, LB Mack Wilson, OT Tytus Howard, and TE Caleb Wilson.
I think I would be doing back flips to see a draft play out like that and who would have been thinking DT in the first ??

10 hours ago, TJJackson said:

tell me there wasnt a blue chip speed/coverage LB or a blue chip pass protector when you picked the DT at 11......I mean, you know I am the gimme a lineman guy, but we got serious needs at other spots

Nope none available but again following that with a guy like Mack Wilson at LB makes that pick a hell of a lot more tolerable. No guarantees though, I get it.

Ben Burr-Kirven, LB, Washington 

I've been on the conductor of the Burr-Kirven train for months now. He's my LB1, and a top 15 overall prospect on my board. Yes, ahead of Devin White (LB2) and Devin Bush (LB3). Of course, the latter two will be picked well before BBK. This combination means he's my biggest sleeper in this draft class. 

The main, consensus dings on BBK are his lack of size, length, and athleticism. At the combine, he measured in at 6-foot-0 with 31 7/8-inch arms. White was 6-0 with 32 1/8-inch arms. Bush was 5-11 with 32-inch arms. Yes, Bush (4.42) and White (4.43) timed faster than Burr-Kirven (4.56), but his 4.56 in the 40 placed him in the 88th percentile among linebackers at the combine over the past 20 years. And these comparisons aren't intended to bash the two Devin's. They're meant to dispel the notions that BBK is too small or isn't long or athletic enough. None of those things are true. White (39.5") and Bush (40.5") bettered the former Washington star in the vertical, Burr-Kirven had better three cone and short shuttle times than both of them. 

As for his actual game, Burr-Kirven diagnoses quickly, is an efficient block-shedder and traffic-sifter in the run game, tackles well, and is excellent in coverage thanks to lightning-quick route-recognition skills and the athleticism to close on the football in a hurry. 

For the analytics advocates out there (and I'd consider myself one), BBK accounted for 17.4% of Washington's solo tackles and 19.0% of the team's total tackles in 2018. While I don't have a comprehensive tackle share database, I've checked into some hits and busts at the linebacker spot. Between 15% and 20% is outstanding ... and then you have Luke Kuechly who had a 22.5% solo tackle share and a 21.9% total tackle share in his final season at Boston College.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-here-are-the-10-biggest-sleepers-who-will-prove-to-be-awesome-value-picks/

What's up Hokie ??
It would appear that NFL.com thinks this kid is a 6th to 7th round pick, but then has this to say about him.

-Plays the game with fatigue setting turned off
-Tackle zombie with 94 solo stops as a senior
-Outstanding instincts, football IQ and focus get him to the action
-Scrapes are instant, quick and controlled
-Replicates and mirrors runner's lane choices
-Adequate range speed
-Unafraid to stick his nose in and strike
-Makes a point of tackling the football
-Forced 6 fumbles and recovered 3 over last two years
-Excellent balance and rarely knocked off feet
-Takes it away if quarterback's eyes linger on target

Even if they think the kid is nothing more than depth and a special teams guy, who wouldn't want that on your team ??

That one caught my eye as well.  For as many strengths and weaknesses as I have read through over the years, that was a new one to me.
I do question the use of "Zombie" however.  Are we talking "World War Z" zombies or those lame ass walking slowly zombies ??
These types of questions need answers.  It's draft time and you can't go into the war room with questions of this nature.

• Haha 1

Jawaan Taylor visit this past weekend, which is who I would predict they end up with, if White isn't there.  If they pass on White, they're idiots, but I assume someone will nab him ahead of the Bengals, even if it means a trade.

I just hope they don't sit him behind Hart, instead of say, moving Hart to RG, or to the bench if Taylor earns it.

Jonah Williams might be a better G/C than T, so figure Jawaan gets the nod.  Either would be fine really.

Jawaan Taylor is my pick for the player that falls lower than they should. Probably due to trades that take place.

However, with this new coaching staff it’s hard to put too much into what they will do even though we are less than a week out.

Still figure they go either OL or LB...

Yahoo Sports mock has them taking Bush at #11 and Taylor going as high as #5., White #6.   The way things go usually, that wouldn't surprise me a bit either I guess.  Wishful thinking to get the best OT or LB in the draft at 11.  Hell I'd probably draft Jonah Williams before Bush, just seems like more of a reach to take Bush there.

Haskins should be there, so that could be interesting, but I haven't heard a thing about the Bengals' showing interest in him (which is surprising, considering he's the most Goff-like QB out of the top 4, and you know how MB likes his Buckeyes).

Oh there’s plenty of talk about the Bengals taking Haskins and have even seen trades suggesting they move to #3 to get him.

Thing is, I hate Haskins game at the pro level and do not think he will be the best of this class.

i don’t like Devin Bush either but if Taylor doesn’t fall he’s exactly who I expect them to take.

Here's my predictions for Thursday and Friday:

The Bengals will go DE, LB, and Ryan Finley in the first 3 rounds. Not sure if they go LB or DE in the first. Just depends. Finley will go in round 2 or 3. Only catch is if the Patriots are onto Finley in the late first round. If they are high on him, then he is a perfect fit for NE.

Book it.