Changing Things With Free Agents / Draft

ArmyBengal

34 minutes ago, COB said:

Just read Cedric Ogbuihe is visiting Jacksonville, they have a big need at right tackle.  I read something like, “this could be a great prove-it spot for him.”

WTF.  Does Jacksonville know what video is?  Watch his tape you morons.  

Oh shit so hilarious....

right ? 

16 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Tyler Eifert back in a one year deal as well.

Jesus...

Saw that. Why? It's like 2018 all over again....sign a few mediocre FA's and resign bad or oft-injured players who can't stay on the field.  I wouldn't be surprised if they cut and resigned Burfict at this point.   I swear Mike Brown has taken over the reigns again, now that he has a new patsy HC.

They have very little depth across the board and a lack of playmakers on defense. What is their plan to make the team better? The draft? The draft will help band aid but that’s it. This was the 31st ranked defense in the NFL. Their offensive line needs to be top 5 to allow Dalton the chance to be decent. Any outsider can clearly see the issues on this team and know they are deficient. I just want to know what the plan is? Because simply drafting is about as much of a crapshoot as FA.

3 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

Because simply drafting is about as much of a crapshoot as FA.

One huge difference - free agents are on their second or third deal and are expensive.  Draftees are on the artificially cheap deal per the CBA.  

The Bengals spend money on players, the idea that they don’t pay players is false.  What I disagree with is the manner in which they deploy their resources.  

It seems they have certain principles, and stick to them no matter what.  Example - they whiffed on two high tackle picks.  Time to react, and by that I mean get some linemen in here through free agency, keep Whit, etc.  Instead they proceed as though they didn’t whif.  They send Whit away and start the draftees like nothing happened.  It makes no sense.  Mother than that, I’m fine with it.

12 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

No, Bengals doing what they always do.

Nothing.

How the hell do we end up with the largest coaching staff in franchise history?  Youngest/Inexperienced coaching in franchise history?  

Among youngest roster in the league?

and have done nothing? 

This could all fail miserably.   But this isn’t  nothing like what they’ve always done.

Football people are making the decisions. 

People claiming this is the same are a sleep at the wheel aboard misery train heading for depressionville.

10 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Just tell me how they have improved their roster this off season and I will get off the kick. I won’t hold my breath waiting for more than Bobby Hart.

It started with Atkins and Dunlap extensions. Keeping your own that you like counts for something wether  the mob on twitter/message boards agree or don’t.

Then Brown, CJ, and Eifert are all guys that are clear good returns that don’t have the elite player status such as Atkins/Dunlap.

Then they have upgraded the line John Miller at RG.

Hart is the questionable one.  but I don’t think they are done with the line. They have lost Ced. Prob Fisher.  Andre Smith.  There will be at least one probably 2 more bodies coming from somewhere.

B-Dub,Dub- Could be Dennard replacement but it doesn’t sound like they haven’t ruled out Dennard.  

Youth counts for something.  Other teams have pluses and minus too but their youth had flashed.  

Is this good enough or do you think a team with 2 1,000 yard WR, AFC leading rusher should just tank? 

They will be in the mix for wild card with a first year head coach.  

Dehner just had a write up on Webb.  Like 7 teams in 8 years.  

BUT  - he got the chance for the first time to play significant snaps in the slot.  And his DB coach that put him there is our new DC.

Ultimately, he graded on plays in the slot nearly identical to Dennard.  

Dennard wants over 10 million a year.  Ceiling for slot guys is 9 million.  

If Webb turns out to be Dennard 2.0, which appears likely, it’s a brilliant move by the front office.  3 years for like 10 million.  Frees up money for elsewhere (linebacker or Lumina upholstery), and we lose hardly anything in performance.  

In addition, there is the very real possibility that Dennard is just not wanting to come back, like he’ll never sign here.  He’s acting that way.

22 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

It started with Atkins and Dunlap extensions. Keeping your own that you like counts for something wether  the mob on twitter/message boards agree or don’t.

Then Brown, CJ, and Eifert are all guys that are clear good returns that don’t have the elite player status such as Atkins/Dunlap.

Then they have upgraded the line John Miller at RG.

Hart is the questionable one.  but I don’t think they are done with the line. They have lost Ced. Prob Fisher.  Andre Smith.  There will be at least one probably 2 more bodies coming from somewhere.

B-Dub,Dub- Could be Dennard replacement but it doesn’t sound like they haven’t ruled out Dennard.  

Youth counts for something.  Other teams have pluses and minus too but their youth had flashed.  

Is this good enough or do you think a team with 2 1,000 yard WR, AFC leading rusher should just tank? 

They will be in the mix for wild card with a first year head coach.  

THIS offseason.  Specifically, since they fired Marvin and hired the youngest head coach, who has never been a coordinator.
Can't count Atkins and Dunlap, which happened last offseason.  I loved both of those extension by the way.

I like that Preston Brown is coming back, simply because they had to keep someone and he was the shiniest turd.  Pretty sad considering how his season went and we got nothing from him.
Eifert is the same as Brown, but worse in regards to injuries.  Neither of them present an "upgrade" to the roster.
Hart isn't a questionable return, it was an abysmal decision made at a position they had no one else.  He was horrible all season unless 10 sacks and numerous pre-snap penalties are now the way to go.

I actually liked the CJ Webb get from the Giants only if it means Dennard does not get paid.  If they end up paying Dennard big money with Webb on board, both signings will be shit.
Can't forget they drafted two CB's last season, the higher drafted of the two (Harris) ended his season on IR.

John Miller from the Bills is also an upgrade and while he was benched after 4 games for the rest of the year in 2017, he graded close to top 25.
If we get close to top 25 from 2018 and not 2017, this will be an upgrade as well at RG. 
What kind of blocking scheme does Turner run ??  If it's a zone blocking scheme, this signing will suck.  That's why he was benched in 2017.

So a CB who will basically be a wash compared to losing Dennard and a RG that should be an upgrade.
Hardly the impact, a team needing to give their new, young, head coach a boost, you are looking for.
No OT, No LB.  I wasn't asking for the moon.  I simply wanted ONE, just one impact player at either position.
Hell, Justin Houston is still out there.  That would at least help the LB depth, which we have none of.

I've never suggested tanking at any point, so not sure about that thought for anyone else.
The wild card teams last year were 10-6 and 12-4.  I simply don't think Dalton and AJ account for 4 more wins last year or this.
I won't bash anyone for arguing they do and I will be rooting for it this year.  I just don't see it at this point.

3 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

THIS offseason.  Specifically, since they fired Marvin and hired the youngest head coach, who has never been a coordinator.
Can't count Atkins and Dunlap, which happened last offseason.  I loved both of those extension by the way.

I like that Preston Brown is coming back, simply because they had to keep someone and he was the shiniest turd.  Pretty sad considering how his season went and we got nothing from him.
Eifert is the same as Brown, but worse in regards to injuries.  Neither of them present an "upgrade" to the roster.
Hart isn't a questionable return, it was an abysmal decision made at a position they had no one else.  He was horrible all season unless 10 sacks and numerous pre-snap penalties are now the way to go.

I actually liked the CJ Webb get from the Giants only if it means Dennard does not get paid.  If they end up paying Dennard big money with Webb on board, both signings will be shit.
Can't forget they drafted two CB's last season, the higher drafted of the two (Harris) ended his season on IR.

John Miller from the Bills is also an upgrade and while he was benched after 4 games for the rest of the year in 2017, he graded close to top 25.
If we get close to top 25 from 2018 and not 2017, this will be an upgrade as well at RG. 
What kind of blocking scheme does Turner run ??  If it's a zone blocking scheme, this signing will suck.  That's why he was benched in 2017.

So a CB who will basically be a wash compared to losing Dennard and a RG that should be an upgrade.
Hardly the impact, a team needing to give their new, young, head coach a boost, you are looking for.
No OT, No LB.  I wasn't asking for the moon.  I simply wanted ONE, just one impact player at either position.
Hell, Justin Houston is still out there.  That would at least help the LB depth, which we have none of.

I've never suggested tanking at any point, so not sure about that thought for anyone else.
The wild card teams last year were 10-6 and 12-4.  I simply don't think Dalton and AJ account for 4 more wins last year or this.
I won't bash anyone for arguing they do and I will be rooting for it this year.  I just don't see it at this point.

I don’t really have a problem what they are doing personnel wise.   Really haven’t for a while.

Many Bengal fans and media would have been in favor of Marvin being moved upstairs.  Why? 

Because they had good players and good teams.   

Many Bengal fans and media wanted Marvin off the sidelines.  Why?  Because he choked constantly in the spotlight and when expectations were their highest.

That’s the true bottom line.   Yes you should count the Dunlap and Atkins extensions because not all teams can keep their players and it has been shown the Bengals operate their cap as a hard cap and many times they are able to get the late summer extension done as they are trying to shove cash spent into that year.   Many teams have to wait til March. 

28 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I don’t really have a problem what they are doing personnel wise.   Really haven’t for a while.

Many Bengal fans and media would have been in favor of Marvin being moved upstairs.  Why? 

Because they had good players and good teams.   

Many Bengal fans and media wanted Marvin off the sidelines.  Why?  Because he choked constantly in the spotlight and when expectations were their highest.

That’s the true bottom line.   Yes you should count the Dunlap and Atkins extensions because not all teams can keep their players and it has been shown the Bengals operate their cap as a hard cap and many times they are able to get the late summer extension done as they are trying to shove cash spent into that year.   Many teams have to wait till March. 

Once upon a time, I might have wanted Marvin upstairs, but that faded quickly.
Whatever he did or didn't do, it didn't produce results, unless people want to say that simply getting to the playoffs was enough.
My contention is they have not done enough to help Zac Taylor win, knowing he was so young and inexperienced.
No impact players and high school coaches.  All we as fans can do is hope and pray.  I hate seeing the front office do the same.

1 hour ago, COB said:

We needed Burfict when we needed him.  I hope he gets in shape and plays great for his new team that I hope will be in the NFC.

The problem is when they needed him he was never there. The NFL changed him and not for the better, but he also refused to change the way he played!

Players and tape both showed he did not give 100 percent this year. We seen that and all called it out.

Really sucks because I had high hopes for that guy hoping he would be the bengals Ray Lewis on the field. He was for one year, and was never the same.

We are about 5 weeks out from the draft and i'm really curious which direction they are going to travel in.

Do they bolster the linebacking corps should a guy like White fall to them ??
Do they continue building the o-line regardless of their apparent love for Hart ??
Do they go looking for a shiny new QB ?? (God I hope not)
Do they go in a direction none of us are thinking about ??

They really better hit on some players in the draft if they want to keep the momentum of a new coach going.