Changing Things With Free Agents / Draft

ArmyBengal

On 2/23/2019 at 2:32 AM, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Collins was rated worse than Shawn Williams last year, who ranked near the bottom of the league, I believe.  If not, very close.  Targeting a FA SS is great, but spending money on a bad one is not great.  You can likely find someone better than Williams in the mid-rounds of the draft.

The $$$ observation is a great point.

IMO, the rating of Collins is skewed as a safety.   He played down in the box more than he did in the secondary.

Had a lot of stops in the running game.  Effective vs. slot WRs. 

What do you pay for it?   I’m just saying Mahomes, Luck, and Brady kill you underneath rather than over your head. 

Bengals were bad underneath.  Easily the worse tackling team in a long time.  Bad, bad underneath coverage. 

Decade, schmecade....  Don't you know we Bengals fans love living in the past, basking in all our mediocrity ??  C'mon man...

6th rounders:
Essex Johnson 1968
Ken Riley 1969
Larry Kinnebrew 1983
HOLY FUCK how did I not know Kimo Von Oelhoffen was a Bengals 6th round pick in 1994 ??
Neil Rackers 2000
Thought to be in the running for the DC job this year Marquand Manuel 2002
No because he really did shit, but "Play Tab There" Perry 2005
Super Bowl Champion Rex Burkhead 2013

There are more names people would be familiar with, but whatever...
Hopefully this year, they package some of those 6th rounders and move up.

Don’t know what they can hope to get for Ross. I’m not optimistic in the return. Maybe they just don’t want to spend the money. He did show improvement last year. 7 TD’s in 21 catches is a great ratio. The lack of catches and yards is far less than a #9 should provide.

I would argue that tons of opportunities with a healthy AJ and Boyd, with Mixon out of the backfield are hard to come by. Get a speed guy in the later rounds I guess.

Not sure what they could get for Ross.

Was hoping late last season with all the injuries he’d put up an eye catching game, nope. 

Although Boyd had a horrible 2nd year to be followed up 1,000 yard year.  Boyd showed flashes.

Ross with TD catches was good to see, but just disappeared completely at other times. 

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Not sure what they could get for Ross.

Was hoping late last season with all the injuries he’d put up an eye catching game, nope. 

Although Boyd had a horrible 2nd year to be followed up 1,000 yard year.  Boyd showed flashes.

Ross with TD catches was good to see, but just disappeared completely at other times. 

He did but was it because Marvin and company did not use him the right way? 

Thats why I would have liked to seen him in a offense that uses him right? I guess Taylor's offense is not that unless Ross is the one who wanted out. 

Guess will see what happens, but I'm hoping he stays 1 more year, and he finally gets used the right way.

On 2/4/2019 at 11:21 AM, ArmyBengal said:

Well, what if the Bengals new coaching staff DOES want a shiny new QB ??

If that is the case, give me Daniel Jones from Duke.
I took some time to watch game highlights of the kid and wow can he toss the ball around.
At 6'5 he also won't see as many throws batted down at the line of scrimmage.
Oh, the dude can run as well.

Daniel Jones plans on meeting with Bengals

19 hours ago, JaxonFord said:

I mentioned this in the College/Draft board thread...if he's there, do you pass on him if he's #1 on their board? Mike Brown is still the owner and loves QB's, the new HC is a former QB and offensive guy, Dalton is in his 30's and is expendable from a contract situation.  It wouldn't shock me at all.  Same thing if Haskins is there (assuming Murray will go before them based on all the rumors).

Not saying it's the right or best move, but stashing a guy like Jones on the bench for a year or two while they rebuild the o-line and defense isn't exactly a horrible plan either.  At some point Dalton has to accept the fact he's heading towards FA or going to be replaced by someone younger.  It's not as if he's Big Ben or Brady or Brees. 

1 hour ago, COB said:

White ran a 4.4 or something and may have run right out of our 11th place draft spot.  It never ends!

Yeah hard to say still, have seen him mocked as low as #18 - obviously it all depends on how guys pan out after the combine and pro workouts, but that 40" time certainly isn't going to hurt him.  It seems like the Bengals' are never in a position to get a consensus #1 LB.

With all of these crazy work outs and 40" times this year, and the QB's improving their lot, the top 10 seems like a bit of mystery still to me, and may end-up that way until draft day. 

There's always hoping.  Someone falls that you don't expect and it happens every year without fail.

That being said, the Chiefs released LB Justin Houston.
Can't tell me he's not instantly the best LB on the team if added.

Then again, any body would be the best LB on the team if added.
Those guys sucked last year.

I'm taking a look now at players that have fallen to and past #11 recently.

2018- S Derwin James (Chargers) was thought to be a top 10 pick without question and fell to #17.
2017- CB Marshon Lattimore (Saints) was thought to be a top 5 pick and fell to #11.
2016- OT Laremy Tunsil (Dolphins) was thought to be the best OT and fell to #13 due to pics of him doing bong hits.
2015- CB Marcus Peters (Chiefs) was thought to be a top 10 pick and fell to #18.
2014- WR Odell Beckham (Giants) was thought to be a top 10 pick and fell to #12.

That's just the last five years and while they didn't drop far, they all dropped to #11 or a little further.
There are more than just those as well.  With the exception of Tunsil, they are all also Pro Bowl level players.

Gasmask Bongface is still my favorite draftee of all time.  It will take an incredible performance by some young athlete to unseat that dude.  Greatest draft ever. 

They'd show the video of the guy with the gasmask bong on his face, then they'd cut to Mort or somebody holding a microphone, looking all concerned.  The guy would say something like, "drugs are bad," meanwhile the kid is signing up for a career of brain trauma and CTE.  

• Like 1

There are roughly 15 names being talked about as top 10 worthy based on the really outstanding collective performances at the combine - and that doesn't include the 2 QBs likely to go top 10.  The Bengals will almost certainly have 3 or 4 names available to them at 11 that all can be difference makers right away.  Hopefully they don't overthink this and fuck this up when the time comes. 

I don’t think the Bengals will stray away from their talent over need roots.

Will be interesting to see, but @11 there’s a good chance need and talent intersect better than they would lower down the draft board. 

It will be interesting to see if the new coaches change their perspective on 4-3 lb value or is that still driven by Tobin? 

I’m hoping for a dominant offensive tackle.