Dalton to IR and Savage Signed

ArmyBengal

The is the first year with out season tickets although I started selling them after the Browns beat us down in Thursday night that one season. 

Had good seats.  Made a good profit.  But last year the demand dried up big time and I wasn’t going to shell out money to break even or lose. 

Attendance has never really recovered since 2010 season and ending of blackouts.     

I think season tickets are a waste for the Bengals.  Fan base isn’t big enough to make them worth it, you will always be able to find decent seats for a fraction of the cost.

Really the only value in having them for me was the prospect of having them for AFC championship game, but the Brown family isn’t committed to winning so that event seemed unlikely.

Sad to think about.  Grilled a lot of Brats and drank a lot of beer down there and the hope I had is dead.  

As I was finishing my military career and we made the decision to come back to Cincinnati, I thought for sure I would jump right into buying season tickets.
It never happened and never will.  While I will attend a preseason game when I can get a ticket for cheaper than a coke at the game, that's about where it ends with the Bengals.

The only reason I go to any NFL games anymore is because of my son and his love of the Texans.
While I don't "love" the Texans the way I have always loved my Bengals, they are a very close #2 team for me.
If I were ever to bail completely, that's the direction I would head.

MB seems much less tolerant since moving into PBS about declining season tickets and ticket sales.  The NFL buffers him incredibly well of course with shared revenue, but from what I understand, the concessions, parking etc.., pretty much go into his family's pockets.  

Take that away and he gets real antsy.  I don't think this has changed recently, but let me know if I'm wrong.

That’s not completely correct.

Revenue Sharing does shield Brown very heavily.   His main Payroll expense is capped.

But many of the merchandise and concession, signage etc. contracts are sold as “rights”.  NFL gets money up front with very little risk associated with volume and many time bonuses awarded for volume. 

Basically he doesn’t need you to show up at PBS.   He doesn’t need anybody to show up.  In terms up a viable business in the short term. 

But the “rights” contracts many are done as NFL deal vs localized team deal.

Papa Johns.  Bud Light. Coke. 

Mike Brown don’t care about slices, kegs, ounces consumed. Those vendors threw down money up front to get their product in the door.  Sales are the cost recovery and profit for that particular priduct.

Its been that way for a loooooooong time too.

Boycotts of PBS are a waste of time.   If you enjoy going, go.  If you don’t, don’t.

But you will not make a dent in any revenue for any period of time that will influence him.  Any hint of that is lip service. 

A story concerning Whitworth has hit the wire.   Bengals low balled him! 

What a surprise!  

They had offered a 1 year deal at around 12 mil.  Rams won with a multi year deal and have been rewarded.

But it’s not the difference of 1 year vs 3 years that make them cheap.  There was real risk giving Whit 3 years.

Cheap is the 1 year at 12.  That says you want him for a year.   Just franchise his ass for 2 mil more and call it a day.

That’s the cheap part.  

Nobody in their right mind can argue they care about winning when you are balking at an extra 2 mil for an All-Pro at franchise position. 

Dumbasses. 

• Like 1

I’m over Whitworth and the stupidity that was that decision. No reason to even think about that at this point.

Look at it however you like. Be it Mike Brown, the NFL, or others that stand to make money, no one is trying to see an empty stadium in game day. Yes, I’m all for seeing that as well.

They've made just a myriad of mistakes over the past few years.

Letting Whit walk.

Whiffing on Ougbuehi and Fisher.

Spending a mid round pick on Jake Elliot, then cutting him, then watching him develop into a good kicker and become a Super Bowl champ.

Refusing to ever instill any discipline into the team, resulting in frustration penalties that gave a playoff game to our rival, a game we had in hand.

Letting Zimmer, and to a lesser degree Gruden, walk out of here to head coaching jobs just because they wanted Marvin to get some sort of legacy-cementing playoff win/run.  Fail.  Could have had Zimmer!

Watching free agency ascend in the league as a way to obtain top players, and refusing to ratchet up their own involvement.

Keeping Paul Alexander for about ten years after his expiration date.  

Falling so in love with rookie contracts that Mike's probably fucking them in the PBS file room.  This love for rookie deals has lead to, among other things, Eric Ghuiacek and Russell Bodine being handed starting jobs for multiple years at center when their play was very obviously complete crap.  There is only one explanation - Mike loves those CBA-price controlled rookie deals.

This is just a list of the most obvious mistakes.  The Broncos game this last Sunday had a halftime show that featured frisbee catching collies.  I could write ten pages on that.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, COB said:

They've made just a myriad of mistakes over the past few years.

Letting Whit walk.

Whiffing on Ougbuehi and Fisher.

Spending a mid round pick on Jake Elliot, then cutting him, then watching him develop into a good kicker and become a Super Bowl champ.

Refusing to ever instill any discipline into the team, resulting in frustration penalties that gave a playoff game to our rival, a game we had in hand.

Letting Zimmer, and to a lesser degree Gruden, walk out of here to head coaching jobs just because they wanted Marvin to get some sort of legacy-cementing playoff win/run.  Fail.  Could have had Zimmer!

Watching free agency ascend in the league as a way to obtain top players, and refusing to ratchet up their own involvement.

Keeping Paul Alexander for about ten years after his expiration date.  

Falling so in love with rookie contracts that Mike's probably fucking them in the PBS file room.  This love for rookie deals has lead to, among other things, Eric Ghuiacek and Russell Bodine being handed starting jobs for multiple years at center when their play was very obviously complete crap.  There is only one explanation - Mike loves those CBA-price controlled rookie deals.

This is just a list of the most obvious mistakes.  The Broncos game this last Sunday had a halftime show that featured frisbee catching collies.  I could write ten pages on that.  

Yeah there's really no reason for any sort of optimism with this franchise, I'm done with taking them seriously have been for some time, I enjoy the game and some of the talented players are fun to watch - but I ain't buying any Bengals' merch or going to any games until that ownership is dissolved, the team is moved or sold, etc.., at this point.  

I just don't think MB is capable of doing what it takes - he is not willing to make the effort and doesn't want to win badly enough.  They'll punt the rest of the season because they have to w/o a starting QB and #1 WR, but they have lost 6 of their last 7 games, Dalton only missed 2 out of those 6, so it's not like this is some recent trend.

This is a Junior NFL city, always will be until they clean house, including ownership.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

And out of nowhere my youngest son (now 7) has taken an interest in football and you guessed it, he wants his room decorated with Bengals stuff...

Good grief

You could always emphasize the Paul Brown era before the franchise became a joke.  There's plenty of genuine pride to be taken in Munoz, the super bowl teams, etc.

19 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Yeah there's really no reason for any sort of optimism with this franchise, I'm done with taking them seriously have been for some time, I enjoy the game and some of the talented players are fun to watch - but I ain't buying any Bengals' merch or going to any games until that ownership is dissolved, the team is moved or sold, etc.., at this point.  

I just don't think MB is capable of doing what it takes - he is not willing to make the effort and doesn't want to win badly enough.  They'll punt the rest of the season because they have to w/o a starting QB and #1 WR, but they have lost 6 of their last 7 games, Dalton only missed 2 out of those 6, so it's not like this is some recent trend.

This is a Junior NFL city, always will be until they clean house, including ownership.

Yea it really is just sad anymore, which is why not many people care anymore. We all know at the end of the day who runs this team, and how the outcome will be. Nobody can tell Mike what he does right or wrong, nothing matters but the way he and his family run it. I to couldn't tell you the last time I bought bengals gear or even wanted to.

He will give Marvin his 2 weeks to decide his future, then either Marvin will be back coaching or sitting upstairs, while Hue gets to coach the team. We see the writing on the wall, the bengals are afraid to make changes they are afraid to have a winning team or do things the right way, so they will just keep doing it the Mike Brown way!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stripes said:

You could always emphasize the Paul Brown era before the franchise became a joke.  There's plenty of genuine pride to be taken in Munoz, the super bowl teams, etc.

The little guy is autistic and we constantly expose him to and encourage him to explore new things.  He does very well to be honest and we are fortunate.
He has finally learned the basics of reading, can spell, write and has never met a stranger in his life (which is good and bad).

I've encouraged him and he attempted to play baseball, but that didn't work out so well.  Now, it's football, but only from a spectator perspective.
He asked to watch the Bengals game with me Sunday and we just happen to catch the end of the Broncos game.  He sat next to me and was truly into it.
I am pretty psyched about the whole thing, as he's always basically ignored me losing my mind in front of the TV while I've watched through the years.

So regardless of how I may feel about the Bengals at the moment, you know what's going to happen.
The wife already order some helmet Fatheads, a Bengals comforter, and some curtains.
Encouraging another generation of football fans for my boys !!!

I might have to take your idea and hang my Kenny Anderson and Anthony Munoz jerseys up in there for him.

2 hours ago, COB said:

You are lucky to have one that’s into the Bengals. My 14 year old is a Michigan fan and a Patriots fan.

I sometimes ask myself where I went wrong.  

Well, to be fair, my oldest is well aware he was born in Texas and is VERY serious about being a Texan, as most of them are.
He follows the Houston Texans religiously and I'm to a point that we travel around to catch the Texans play here and there.
That's why I say if I ever totally bailed on the Bengals, that the Texans would be my new team.  I know them like I know the Bengals these days.

Outside of that, he's a Buckeyes fan, but he's on the Longhorns and asking to go to Austin next year for a game. 
O-H-I-O's days are numbered for him I fear, but if it encourages him to want to go to college that much more, Austin here we come !!!

On 12/4/2018 at 12:28 PM, AMPHAR said:

That’s not completely correct.

Revenue Sharing does shield Brown very heavily.   His main Payroll expense is capped.

But many of the merchandise and concession, signage etc. contracts are sold as “rights”.  NFL gets money up front with very little risk associated with volume and many time bonuses awarded for volume. 

Basically he doesn’t need you to show up at PBS.   He doesn’t need anybody to show up.  In terms up a viable business in the short term. 

But the “rights” contracts many are done as NFL deal vs localized team deal.

Papa Johns.  Bud Light. Coke. 

Mike Brown don’t care about slices, kegs, ounces consumed. Those vendors threw down money up front to get their product in the door.  Sales are the cost recovery and profit for that particular priduct.

Its been that way for a loooooooong time too.

Boycotts of PBS are a waste of time.   If you enjoy going, go.  If you don’t, don’t.

But you will not make a dent in any revenue for any period of time that will influence him.  Any hint of that is lip service. 

I hear ya but there are plenty of big, local advertisers they use, are constantly advertising all over town for season ticket buyers, and from what I do understand, he would receive a smaller share of merchandising revenues the lower his are.  I have to believe it also lowers the value of his franchise.

Being a family owner, I have to imagine his "cushion" is a lot smaller than the corporate tycoons in big markets - it's still hard for me to believe he could survive more than a couple of years with a half empty stadium, or less.  I'd think the league would step-in at that point and do "something" if they aren't pulling their weight.