Week 6 and 17- Steelers talk

Stripes

The early snaps from Dalton are a relic of the Marvin era, so I fault coaching there.  Palmer used to do the same shit, because Marvin Lewis has never had a clue how to manage a game clock.  I seriously wish they'd bring in a clock management coordinator.  Break new ground in the league.  Let someone have that specific duty who is properly equipped.

It'll never happen obviously, so whatever.

1 minute ago, AMPHAR said:

I heard this and not sure if it’s correct ,but...., 4 home games vs Steelers in a row they have lost after having a 4th quarter lead. 

That can’t be right it’s so absurd. 

It certainly sounds familiar starting with the playoff game.  Despite losing constantly the last few years they have given themselves a chance every time in Cincy... only to hand it away.

"We're better".  Congratulations, then, Bengals.  We'll tack that asterisk onto the standings to ensure everyone is aware.

Back-up receivers who cannot catch the ball are useless. The drop by Core killed a drive when the game was 7-7 and instead yielded a punt that led to a Steelers drive that put them up 14-7. I cannot imagine why Core is getting run ahead of Malone, but, whatever.

They do need Ross, if only to keep Core off the field.

I don't understand why Green seems to have such a hard time getting going in "big" games. Those two drops early were awful from him, and something we have seen too often from him in big games in his otherwise awesome career.

Mixon didn't touch the ball enough. Did they have him on a pitch count? Because he was off the field for the last half of the second quarter, I think, at least two full drives. Makes no sense to give those touches to Walton.

Defensively, they were so damn hurt that I am guessing they went vanilla to try and just slow Pittsburgh down, and I guess it worked? Until the end? 

Marvin and Andy's clock management on the almost winning drive sucked balls. They were first and ten from the 11 with two timeouts and snapped the ball with 1:27 on the game clock but had 18 seconds left on the play clock. You are either gonna score on that drive or lose, unless the argument is that slowing down hurts your chances to finish, I don't get what the hurry was by that point. That's simply a case of the coach and qb and staff not understanding the game or how vulnerable their defense was. That was what would have happened in Atlanta if they had scored too quickly. I am not advocating NOT trying to score, but they should have forced the Steelers to use a timeout or let those 18 seconds drain before snapping the first and ten.

Marvin has to try coaching big games eventually with an eye toward being up two scores late, leave it close, and the officials will never call it straight when one of the NFL's favored teams is involved. Put differently, if that exact same pick play happened and it was the Steelers running it against the Patriots, the flag comes out. Pittsburgh has the same problem beating New England that we have against Pittsburgh, and the Steelers fans complain constantly that New England gets all the calls in those games. Guess what? They do. Same as Pittsburgh gets the benefit against us. In the pecking order of preferred outcomes, we will always get screwed. 

I am tired of that game and losing it.

I thought could have run the ball more in first half when passing game was struggling with drops.

The second half opening drive punt was critical,IMO.   Just shows Marvin over valued his defense in favor of trying to play files position.  

End of game clock management seems like they don’t even consider it.

Colts game this year was the same way. 

Saw highlights and where was Dennard ??  Did he get hurt, requiring McRae to be on the field that last Steelers drive ??  McRae got ass raped out there...

Another thing on the Antonio Brown TD play.  I honestly thought it was a great play on the part of the Steelers and refuse to get worked up over that one play.
Want to get worked up on that play ??  Ask why William Jackson was playing off AB (his man) by more than 8 yards when you know an all out blitz is coming ??
By the time AB caught the ball, Jackson wasn't even in the camera screen.  What was he doing ??  I love William Jackson, but that was a bad look when all others were in tight coverage.

Oh, I happen to agree that the Bengals are just as good if not better than the Steelers, but hey Kirkpatrick....  Shut the fuck up !!!

2 hours ago, BengalszoneBilly said:

There were too many drops on easy catches. Pissed me off.

Bengals had chances to grab several INTs too but couldn't take the ball - this was a statement game and the statement they made was "we're the Steelers little bitch"

51 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Saw highlights and where was Dennard ??  Did he get hurt, requiring McRae to be on the field that last Steelers drive ??  McRae got ass raped out there...

Another thing on the Antonio Brown TD play.  I honestly thought it was a great play on the part of the Steelers and refuse to get worked up over that one play.
Want to get worked up on that play ??  Ask why William Jackson was playing off AB (his man) by more than 8 yards when you know an all out blitz is coming ??
By the time AB caught the ball, Jackson wasn't even in the camera screen.  What was he doing ??  I love William Jackson, but that was a bad look when all others were in tight coverage.

Oh, I happen to agree that the Bengals are just as good if not better than the Steelers, but hey Kirkpatrick....  Shut the fuck up !!!

Dennard was injured could be out this week too.

They broke the last play down on Sunday Night Football.     When AB motions.  Jackson alerts McRae of the possible rub play.  

If the rub play occurs McRae has to beat the rub man inside and take AB while Jackson takes the rub man. 

If it doesn’t Jackson takes AB.  Rub play occurred and McRae was illegally blocked downfield.   Although I don’t think refs are ever going to be consistent on it. 

It will be an interesting Bengals line tonight because my theory is Fedj fucked up by continued blitz instead of dropping into the throwing lane.  See if Lap has the inside talking points on the last play.

Either way. Pitt has the FG in their pocket already.  

Not being funny, but none of Sunday Night Football's breakdown explains the massive cushion Jackson gave, regardless of the rub.  He took himself out of the play completely.

I see what you are talking about with Fudge as well.  Dropping back would have made that much more difficult, but I have no idea what the call was outside of an all out blitz.

The Steelers went after McRae that entire drive and Kirkpatrick didn't help with the holding call either.

Yeah, definitely in FG range.  Just poor decision making on the Bengals last scoring drive and poor execution on the Steelers game winning drive.

Granted, I didn't watch the whole game, but that's what I took away from the highlights.

Continued to be owned by the Steelers.  Marvin is no longer up to the job in big games, we’ve lost like 6 on a row now.  

Two people are key to these results changing, Marvin and Ben.  When they replace Ben, things should get better for us.  And when we replace Marvin, things should get better for us.

Just wait.  

Week 17.  Flexed to Sunday Night Football.  Bengals at Steelers.  AFCN title on the line.

Chances of Melvin Lewis curling up in a ball and coaching scared?  100%.  Bengals getting outcoached?  100%.  Stupid plays and penalties?  100%

Hell if I'm going to watch that shit show.  Mark and I will be offline.  

15 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

Just wait.  

Week 17.  Flexed to Sunday Night Football.  Bengals at Steelers.  AFCN title on the line.

Chances of Melvin Lewis curling up in a ball and coaching scared?  100%.  Bengals getting outcoached?  100%.  Stupid plays and penalties?  100%

Hell if I'm going to watch that shit show.  Mark and I will be offline.  

They’ll head shot AJ Green early or the punter.   You’ll see a fraction of the up roar that is being seen now because Burfict talked meanly Ju-Ju. 

Marvin will find a way to curl up in a ball. 

Watching it isn’t the problem it’s the week afterward that you can’t escape. 

Eventually the Steelers will add another pelt to their long list of cheap shots. They’ll win and not catch any blow back at all.  Just tough old school football there. 

Meanwhile Burfict participated in gang tackle of AB so the league had to investigate.  

Im just saying you can’t knock enough of them out ever.  

4 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Watching it isn’t the problem it’s the week afterward that you can’t escape.  

It's the week leading up to the game and all the stupid conversation that takes place in the media, between the teams, and even some of the fans.
It's the game where all the talk leads to stupidity on the field, which usually has a negative impact for the Bengals because they always play the bitch.
It's the week after when you have to hear all the follow on stupid conversation like no one has ever heard or thought of it before.

I'm pretty sure I've been making these same posts for the last few years at a minimum.
The stupidity never ends when it comes to the Steelers and Bengals.

Ending the season against them in Pittsburgh will be a special kind of hell win or lose.

• ArmyBengal changed the title to Week 6 and 17- Steelers talk