Week 1 - Colts Talk

AMPHAR

Sorry if this steps on toes.  I didn’t see a thread and got stuff on my mind about the upcoming game vs the Horses. 

Stuff I like: 

1. Colt fans don’t think their o-line is good, I believe our d-line is really good.  They couldn’t block us last year and I think we are better this year. 

2. Colt fans don’t think their defense is any good. Weak against the run.  Bengals need to carve out at least a little run threat.

3. Mixon nearly 100 yards receiving last year. He’s made his mark early in the passing game in preseason.  I think this is a huge factor. 

Stuff I don’t like:

1. Bengals play like shit every time they go to Lucas oil.  They’ve been drubbed so many times, I lost count

2. Couldn’t block them last year.  Couldn’t run or pass block.  Of course that was a weekly occurrence. 

3. Couldn’t stop Brisset in key spots last year.  Luck on paper is way better

4. I’m going and they get ass kicked every time since Boomer rallied them off the bench back in 1997 in relief of Blake. 

The Colts invested in their o-line in the draft.  While I think they look go on paper, it may take some time for them to get it all together.
That bodes well for our pass rush.

I can't say that anyone outside of TY Hilton poses great concerns from their WR corps and I think our secondary is more than solid.

While Luck will be back, it will be his first game in how many years ??  He's also dealing with a minor foot injury.
I like our chances catching him and the Colts in week 1.

Not to be disrespectful, but there's nothing about their defense that would make me believe they can matchup to the offensive weapons we have.
Switching from a 3-4 to 4-3 this season will put added pressure on them as well.

Just remember that Hewitt signed with the Colts this week.  Coincidence ??  I think not...

Bengals 34
Colts 17

I think Cincinnati is the better team here, but the uncontrolled factors will make things more difficult than they ought to be.  It'll be both the Colts' home opener and Luck's return (in a game of consequence), and that will likely energize the team and the stadium.  The Bengals should win, but if they **** around even a little bit I don't think they will.  Get it right.

1 hour ago, volcom69 said:

Funny how Mike Johnson gets cut and comes back and is still the starter lol.

He's not, really.  The depth chart lists the starters for the 4-3 base defense, but the team spends a majority of their snaps playing nickel.

So, if you go by snap count, Johnson will get far fewer overall.

I'd like to think that another year removed from his knee injury will see Andrew Billings make an impact from the interior.
He's one of the guys I will really be keeping an eye on moving into the regular season.

My concern on the defensive side of the ball remains squarely with the linebackers.  UGH !!!

21 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

And just like that, Castonzo is practicing today.

Him playing gimpy is just as problematic for the Colts. He has a hamstring issue and then has to deal with Lawson's speed off the edge or Dunlap's strength and speed? Good luck. 

1 minute ago, AMPHAR said:

I hope and think our D-line should feast, but if a QB can identify weaknesses in coverage that changes things. 

Dennard, DreK and William Jackson are a really strong defensive backfield. Weakness in coverage is relative. Soft spots are probably aiming at TE as usual. 

Luck will almost be like a rookie/1st start QB and we all know how such players tear the Bengals a new one every single time.

I don't think our O-line has improved substantially and maybe not enough to have a consistent run game throughout the season. Will it have improved enough to allow Dalton time to find the WRs with deep balls ....???

Overall we're a better football tea, but the Colts have home field and a vociferous crowd cheering Lucks return so that balances things out.

Hopefully Bengals D proves too much for Indy

Colts 17- 27 Bengals

On one hand I think the Bengals should be able exploit a weak covering Colts D that will probably play more zone that will help mask our offensive line weakness. 

I’m really thinking Jets 2016 opener here.   Jets couldn’t handle bubble screens and what not.  AJ Green feasted.  O-line was overmatched but Dalton was able to go confidently to first option all day. 

On the other hand.  Bengals have never won in Lucas Oil and for the most part have not even been competitive.    Majority of those meetings Colts were probably the more talented team. 

I just hope defense plays to expectation and I don’t think Colts will have an answer for Mixon/Gio/Eifert in the passing game underneath which in turn gives them manageable down and distance and keeps Dalton clean and bigger windows to throw into down the field to Ross/Green.

Plus Bengals sucked so bad opening weekend last year, I hope the chip on the shoulder factor comes into play.

I know I’m tired of going up there and by 3rd Qtr totally pissed off.