Preseason Game 4 - Bengals vs. Colts

ArmyBengal

Maybe I just don't remember...  Maybe who gives a shit ???  However, I don't recall ending the preseason against your week 1 opponent.  Seems odd.

That being said, I don't want to see any of the starters in this game Thursday night.
Short week, no reason to risk injuries, no reason to tip your hand for week 1.

Go into week 1 healthy and rested.  Any injury to a starter at this point is inexcusable in my opinion.
Just don't be stupid.

• ArmyBengal changed the title to Preseason Game 4 - Bengals vs. Colts
1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Maybe I just don't remember...  Maybe who gives a shit ???  However, I don't recall ending the preseason against your week 1 opponent.  Seems odd.

It's stupid playing the same team two weeks in a row. One meaning nothing and the other the opener.

I'm not sure it'll be a problem in terms of hindering the Bengals' chances on opening day.  It should impact both teams equally.  I would express some concern though that this will suck for the players who actually see the field in the pre-season meeting.  Neither team is going to want to reveal anything about their approach to the real game, and I anticipate the most utterly vanilla thing there is.  That might make it more difficult for these kids to put on any solid tape to maximize their chances of making either of these teams (or getting another shot elsewhere).

It's not really the Bengals' or Colts' problem.  Just a bummer.

12 hours ago, Stripes said:

I'm not sure it'll be a problem in terms of hindering the Bengals' chances on opening day.  It should impact both teams equally.  I would express some concern though that this will suck for the players who actually see the field in the pre-season meeting.  Neither team is going to want to reveal anything about their approach to the real game, and I anticipate the most utterly vanilla thing there is.  That might make it more difficult for these kids to put on any solid tape to maximize their chances of making either of these teams (or getting another shot elsewhere).

It's not really the Bengals' or Colts' problem.  Just a bummer.

I doubt either team wants do it except to save travel money like Amp suggested

I would typically make a trip down to the stadium to catch these games, but in this case I'm glad I have a school event to attend with my boys !!!

I agree with neither team caring and I don't think the fans do either.  Who created this scenario of playing the same team like this ??  Just a waste for all in involved.
What positions are still up for grabs at this point that they haven't truly figured out ??  If they aren't figured out, will this game really help in that evaluation ??
Just seems like the schedule planners really jacked this up.

The best thing about this week 4 of the nfl preseason is that it’s week 1 of college football and there are some good games.  Notre Dame and Mich in South Bend.  The NFL should probably do something about the money grab that is the preseason.    

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I would typically make a trip down to the stadium to catch these games, but in this case I'm glad I have a school event to attend with my boys !!!

I agree with neither team caring and I don't think the fans do either.  Who created this scenario of playing the same team like this ??  Just a waste for all in involved.
What positions are still up for grabs at this point that they haven't truly figured out ??  If they aren't figured out, will this game really help in that evaluation ??
Just seems like the schedule planners really jacked this up.

I don't think it's a waste at all.

There are a lot of things still to be settled on the back end of the roster.  I'm very curious to see all the RBs get good reps...I wonder if a guy like Flowers will stick around on the PS.

We just got a couple of DTs back that need some reps and tape (Andrew Brown, especially).

Can Tate produce given a larger share of snaps?

What can Darius Phillips do outside of special teams?

Maybe Woodside can finally get some reps in.

etc., etc., etc.  

Boring for us, perhaps, but very important for coaches and non-starters.

And, you can accomplish all of this without tipping your hat regarding the playbook.

I think the preseason is a waste and a money grab in this day and age.

But people watch on TV and those TV ratings beat a lot of other programming including trouncing other sporting events.

I think even preseason replays perform well vs other TV programs.

So networks pay.  Thus the games exist until they figure out a way to expand the season (which I think is mistake). 

But they ain’t giving up multi millions.  Therefore watch college football this Thursday instead. 

Same with Pro Bowl.  It sucks.  But people watch. 

I actually enjoy the preseason games.  It's a chance to see many of the young players get a shot that you might not see during the season as much.
I hate the injury risk that comes along with them, but I will attend the preseason games because I never pay full price.
Hell, tickets can be had for like $6 for tomorrow's game.  That's a cheap evening out.

The Pro Bowl ??  No point in that one whatsoever.  Now that players get in as the 5th standby, what's the point ??

I would go 2 games. 

Introduce revenue sharing for preseason TV coverage.  Right now  I believe local broadcast rights go directly to local team in the preseason. 

Then spread the 2 games for everyone over the 5 weeks of preseason (HOF weekend included.  

Have starters play a half in both.  

I just don’t want to see 17 or 18 regular season games. 

15 hours ago, skyline said:

I think 3 preseason games would be appropriate as opposed to 4.

Regardless, I'm one of those freaks that watches every play like it's  the Super Bowl.  My wife, who tunes out after two plays, simply does not understand.  :P

Great that you admitted it.  Now I don’t feel alone.  Hi I’m Gapcontrol, and I watch every play like it’s 4th and 1 on the goaline of the last 2 seconds of the Super Bowl and the Bengals are down by 5.  

I’m glad I could finally say it out loud.

• Like 1

And that's another part of the preseason I enjoy.  My attitude isn't affected watching a preseason game they lose.
I can watch them look like crap, lose the game, and go about my way.  During the season, I get heated seeing them blow games.
Don't get me wrong, it's not like it's impacting my family, but I feel it.

Sort of like that feeling I had in the playoff game against the Steelers when AJ Green caught the TD from McCarron, only to lose the game and season stupidly.
I STILL feel the irritation from that one. 

Preseason ??  Not so much.  4-0, 0-4, doesn't matter.