Iloka Released

kingwilly

1 hour ago, icehole3 said:

Ian Rapoport says it's financial

yeah that is what was saying by them, but there is always stuff they arent saying. I dont buy this one at all, not even 1 bit.

this would made more sense, if he was release because he was dropping to 3rd string and wont made it to final 53 roster so he is being let go now as a favor to him so he can catch team before cut down day. letting go starter for money when off season pretty much is over doesnt made sense

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s my question. What about this move makes the defense better ??

They wanted to bring in Coleman as a free agent before he signed elsewhere. They didn’t like the answer Reid gave them in his free agent visit. Then they turn around and draft a safety in the 2nd round.

Fast forward to 3 weeks before the season starts and they release one of their starting safeties. NOW they want to claim it’s financial ??

Im rooting that this is a great move and becomes a new approach in getting rid of perceived dead weight, but color me skeptical at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BengalszoneBilly said:

Mistake.

Right now, it makes the D less experienced, and it's minor financial savings. Considering how they'd paid Hall and Jones far bigger dollars for far worse performances. 

Can Bates handle the job? We can only hope. Maybe SoP has his eyes on a receiver who can step in (a laTab Perry). 

Never was a huge Illoka fan, but man are they thin at S now, if Bates' gets hurt they got a whole lot of nothing back there.  While I think signing Atkins is critical, I don't think anyone else on that side of the ball is, including Dunlap and Dennard (I wouldn't over-pay for either of them unless say, Dennard continues to play well like he did last year in his role - but how much is a decent nickel CB really going to cost them?)

So yeah, pray Bates' doesn't get hurt - no idea what SS is worth a crap on this team either.

I'm reading that they've been dissatisfied with his play since Nelson left. They complemented each other well, but Ilokas skill set hasn't worked well since his departure. They need a free range ball hawk while Iloka was more of a hard hitter.

They tried to replace him in free agency but opted for the draft when that fell through.

Why wait two weeks?  I suppose to be sure Bates is up for the job.

Still, it seems risky unless they have immediate plans for that money, which I don't buy.

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

What the hell?  I'm all for letting go of underperforming or aging players, but Iloka was a bright spot.

They keep junk OL players and let go those of value. I'm past trying to make reason why this is happening. It's as of an agenda of losing is what's intended.

16 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Here’s my question. What about this move makes the defense better ??

They wanted to bring in Coleman as a free agent before he signed elsewhere. They didn’t like the answer Reid gave them in his free agent visit. Then they turn around and draft a safety in the 2nd round.

Fast forward to 3 weeks before the season starts and they release one of their starting safeties. NOW they want to claim it’s financial ??

Im rooting that this is a great move and becomes a new approach in getting rid of perceived dead weight, but color me skeptical at this point.

Agree.  Eventually the proof will be in the pudding sorta thing.

We will see.   Better have more turnovers etc.  

I hope it works out but it’s a confusing move.  Couldn’t even trade him? 

They just better hope none of the safeties gets hurt, because there is no depth.
Just another reason to still have that confused tilted head dog face look this morning.

Agreed with the "couldn't even trade him" comment as well.
Nothing ??  Not even a late round pick for a starter ??

They let Whit walk and kept Ced.  

They let Reggie walk and kept Williams.  

This is a surprise but it shouldn’t be.  Mike loves, and I mean absolutely loves, guys on that first 4 year, CBA price controlled, contract.  Bates makes 480K this year.  His whole 4 year deal was worth a little more, grand total, than 4 million.  Once he showed he could play, that was it, goodbye George Iloka.

I'm assuming Michael Johnson is next.  I'm surprised it hasn't already happened.

Here's the word from Teryl Austin today, according to Katherine Terrell:

Bengals defensive coordinator Teryl Austin called George Iloka a 'true professional' and 'great teammate' but felt moving on was best for the team's long-term interests. He said the team really feels Jessie Bates has a high ceiling. Austin said "When we watched him coming out we knew he had really good movement, really good range. Got around the ball. The biggest issue was how is he going to tackle in our league? He's shown a willingness to tackle. He's been a really solid tackler. Really good angles. Getting guys down. That was the one question we needed answered."

Yes, Michael Johnson should be next on the list.  Too little production and too much younger talent.
Honestly, that would have made more sense initially than Iloka, but I get what Austin is saying.

It also covers what I mentioned earlier in that should a guy like Michael Johnson get dinged, they have depth to jump right in.
There's less certainty at the safety spot with Iloka being shown the door.

3 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Yes, Michael Johnson should be next on the list.  Too little production and too much younger talent.
Honestly, that would have made more sense initially than Iloka, but I get what Austin is saying.

It also covers what I mentioned earlier in that should a guy like Michael Johnson get dinged, they have depth to jump right in.
There's less certainty at the safety spot with Iloka being shown the door.

Something tells me this is the year of serious roster shuffling. 

Cuts:

Iloka.. I'm not seeing the financial reason, other than the Brown family is cheap af. 

M. Johnson.. Doesn't get to the qb the way Willis or Lawson do. He's not a 3 technique, either. 

Cody core.. There's lots of good wide outs, Malone, Ericsson, Boyd, Tate. Plus Mixon and gio are exemplary guys out of the backfield. 

Maybe cut:

Dennard... Isn't the player they thought he'd be. Guys like Bates, Russell and Shaw are suitable slot guys. 

Hewitt... With schreck, uzoma, kroft, there's not much need for Hewitt. Unless they feel like Eifert can't produce. 

Cedric.. What can really be said. He's not very good at all for half the price. 

The spots I'm concerned about are linebacker depth and backup qb. 

I would not be surprised if they snagged another linebacker and a veteran qb (Stanton, Manuel, cardale Jones, Grayson might be there to grab) 

• ArmyBengal changed the title to Iloka Released
  • ArmyBengal featured and unfeatured this topic