Preseason Game 2 - Bengals vs. Cowboys

ArmyBengal

Well, back-ups looked good.  1st teams...not so much.  It's just nice to see a QB other than Dalton play, and play well.  I'm just so tired of watching Dalton, like really tired, to the point of boredom.  I don't care if he has a few good/great games a year, more often its frustration and the same old inconsistent crap and that stupid shit-eating grin coming off the field after he has one of his many f*ck-ups.

1 hour ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Well, back-ups looked good.  1st teams...not so much.  It's just nice to see a QB other than Dalton play, and play well.  I'm just so tired of watching Dalton, like really tired, to the point of boredom.  I don't care if he has a few good/great games a year, more often its frustration and the same old inconsistent crap and that stupid shit-eating grin coming off the field after he has one of his many f*ck-ups.

I think Dalton should be praised for trying to work behind that line play against Dallas.  You know he has to to be praying every night that Ced doesn’t suit up ever again.  Hart struggled tonight as did the whole first team oline.

Dalton missed atleast 3 easy throws tonight.  Still heard footsteps from last year’s debacle.

31 minutes ago, GapControl said:

I think Dalton should be praised for trying to work behind that line play against Dallas.  You know he has to to be praying every night that Ced doesn’t suit up ever again.  Hart struggled tonight as did the whole first team oline.

Dalton missed atleast 3 easy throws tonight.  Still heard footsteps from last year’s debacle.

My confidence in Andy isn't good.

They looked great last week and people thought they might be going to the Super Bowl.  They looked bad this week and the sky is falling.

The 2015 week 2 preseason game was probably the worst we've ever seen them.  Go look it up.  We all know how their offense turned out that year.

I only have three notable takeaways:

1) Ced is just...so bad. I was willing to give the guy another shot with a new coach and scheme, but man. They won't cut him since they need bodies on the right side, but he's got to be a last resort at this point.

2) Those young D-lineman need to be on the field.  It's hard not to be excited about Hubbard and Lawson.

3) Jon Brown, man!  It kills me that he has zero chance of making the team.  Wasn't that effortless 55-yard field goal gorgeous?

There were no major injuries last night and they go some good tape to look at.  I call that a win.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

So Jon Brown has no shot to make the team?  That’s a mistake if true.

Radio broadcast said he claims to have hit 70 yarder in practice.  

Radio broadcast also praised one kickoff in which he hit the crossbar. 

Lewis said last night that there is no kicking competition. One has to assume that Bullock is the guy.

To be fair, I don't know how consistent Brown has been in practice. I always like to give the benefit of the doubt. And, his lack of game experience is a legitimate concern. The 55-yarder last night doesn't change that.

From the outside looking in, though, it feels like last seasons mistake all over again. I say go for Brown and find someone on the waiver wire a few weeks in if it doesn't work out.

5 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Glad the bengals won.  Didn’t hear about any injuries. Preseason don’t mean shit.

Winning is immaterial, as you rightly point out, doesn't mean shit. The first teams looked awful. 

19 hours ago, GapControl said:

Yeah I'm just done making excuses for him at this point.  My advice to him would be to grow some balls and quit freaking out every time he gets some pressure, but that's never changed and won't now.  He's effective when they have a top 5 running game and defense and his penchant for mistakes is limited - of course that almost never happens.

As for that starting 0-line, Hart sucks, they need to just promote guys like Westermen and Redmond, or anyone else, and get rid of some of these losers they're clinging onto.  They can't be any worse.

19 hours ago, GapControl said:

I think Driskell secured the backup QB tonight.  He looked good on a lot of different throws.

I would hope so.  Also screwed that post up as Ross' catch was a 2 pt conversion (watched everything but didn't have audio going at the time - unless you want to hear Munoz say "I'll tell you what" a million times.

2 hours ago, Stripes said:

It's Jake Elliot all over again.  Why does Bullock get a free pass?  He is the definition of unspectacular.  If Brown is kicking his ass, then Brown should have a shot.  Very irritating.

Yep, I mean Bullock is decent and reliable for the most part, but I'm not counting on him to make a 48-55 yard FG to win a game.  It'd be nice to have a guy you know you have a decent shot with over 47 yds.