Mayfield - Browns made the right choice?

I thought he was the right pick for the Browns, at least as far as QB's go.  Will be interesting to see how far and how quickly he pushes Taylor (adding Landry and having Gordon back along with Chubb at RB makes them interesting for once).  Same with Jackson in Baltimore, who could make some teams look pretty bad for passing on him if he pans out early on, and Flacco struggles enough.  All it takes is an 0-2 or 0-3 start for either team, and we're seeing them twice a year I guess.

He looked good.  Numerous instances where he used his pocket awareness to evade the rush and find another little space to set up and get the throw off.  I know he'll face some less vanilla rush packages down the road, but so far I'm guessing the Browns are thrilled.  

2 hours ago, COB said:

He looked good.  Numerous instances where he used his pocket awareness to evade the rush and find another little space to set up and get the throw off.  I know he'll face some less vanilla rush packages down the road, but so far I'm guessing the Browns are thrilled.  

This.

He was very comfortable sitting in the pocket and going through his progressions.  When he did scramble he always kept his head up and his eyes down the field.

I watched all of his snaps live since the Bengals game wasn't on here, and as a Bengals fan...I did NOT like what I saw. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mayfield's a player.  The Browns are going to be a problem for us.  Honestly, after watching Hard Knocks, Hue Jackson seems like the weak link in that chain (also o-line).

They'll probably beat us once, and I can see them beating the Ravens as well.  Their defense is ***damn scary.  Myles Garrett is probably going to lead the NFL in sacks if he stays healthy.  

If they go 0-6 or something, I can see them showing Hue the door and promoting one of their coordinators.  

• 3 weeks later...

Mayfield changed the dynamic of that game when he came in.  You could see and feel it from your own living room.
If Hue makes the decision to go back to Taylor after last night, he should be fired immediately.

I was rooting for the Browns last night (yes, I feel dirty for it) and think with Mayfield, they are a team that will shock some people.
I mentioned it in the other thread, but the Browns are close to being a 3-0 team right now.

Oh don’t get it twisted. The “Cheering for the Browns” ended immediately after the game ended last night and will not be repeated.

Maybe it’s my disklike for the Jets, or maybe seeing Mayfield get his shot, but it was fun to watch when I really had no intentions of watching.

Just to be clear, FUCK THE BROWNS !!!

• Like 1

I'm disappointed the browns didn't botch it again by drafting Darnold or Rosen.  

I thought all along that Mayfield was the clear cut #1 and couldn't for the life of me figure out why the national talking heads were slobbering over Darnold and company.  Darnold was an interception machine at USC...what makes people think that'll get better in the NFL?

I was rooting for the Browns.  As Americans, we are all just innately pre-disposed to root for the underdog.  It’s in our DNA.  

If they end up beating us this year, forget it.  I certainly want them to beat Pittsburgh the second time they meet.

Wholeheartedly agree the dog and dog pound theme is tired, stupid, and needs to be retired.

• 4 years later...
On 9/21/2018 at 9:15 AM, ArmyBengal said:

Mayfield changed the dynamic of that game when he came in.  You could see and feel it from your own living room…
…think with Mayfield, they are a team that will shock some people…

You could have written last night instead of four years ago.  

Mayfield turned that whole Cleveland franchise around.  His intensity and win at all costs ethos did so much for that franchise.  Then he slips one season because he played hurt and they shoved him out the door.  

Much respect to that guy for going to LA with almost no time to learn the offense and gets enough done to win a game.  The Browns suck, their owner is a truck stop fuckface who doesn’t know shit about football.  I hope Watson falls on his face and they wander the wilderness for ten more years looking for a quarterback.  

• Like 1

Dude… it just goes to show the difference in talent level from the Panthers to the Rams. I think Mayfield was reading the playbook as he was walking into the stadium tonight. He was throwing passes to guys he had never met. Then he goes out and beats the Raiders on a prime time game with less than 48 hours time in the building.

Crazy !!

• 3 weeks later...

His #'s aren't terrible, just extremely pedestrian in LA.  Nothing around him, but he's probably showing that he isn't anyone's franchise back, but a career journeyman if he wants to keep playing.  Definitely a nice vet back-up to have.  Am guessing he'll have to accept competing for a spot from here on out, at best.   Will join Dalton and Brissett.

On 12/8/2022 at 11:42 PM, COB said:

You could have written last night instead of four years ago.  

Mayfield turned that whole Cleveland franchise around.  His intensity and win at all costs ethos did so much for that franchise.  Then he slips one season because he played hurt and they shoved him out the door.  

Much respect to that guy for going to LA with almost no time to learn the offense and gets enough done to win a game.  The Browns suck, their owner is a truck stop fuckface who doesn’t know shit about football.  I hope Watson falls on his face and they wander the wilderness for ten more years looking for a quarterback.  

Baker did turn the Browns around and must give him credit for that which was NO small task.. and the team did well with building a running game and giving him some weapons to throw to.  It’s stunning the organization managed to fuck all that up so quickly . 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 8:20 AM, ArmyBengal said:

As much as I don’t personally care for Mayfield, I would take him WAY before either Dalton or Brissett.  Probably before more than that actually.

Hard to say how much different he would look with a healthy Cooper Kupp and others that have been out for the Rams.

Dalton has not looked like much recently .  He still seems to throw picks that kill momentum.  Kind of like what Palmer did late for the Bengals and then in his only Super Bowl appearance.   Carson was at another level than Baker will ever see though. Unless he somehow maximizes all his strengths somehow before he ages too much. 

On 12/30/2022 at 10:41 PM, ShulaSteakhouse said:

His #'s aren't terrible, just extremely pedestrian in LA.  Nothing around him, but he's probably showing that he isn't anyone's franchise back, but a career journeyman if he wants to keep playing.  Definitely a nice vet back-up to have.  Am guessing he'll have to accept competing for a spot from here on out, at best.   Will join Dalton and Brissett.

So many QBs like Baker who came out highly drafted and touted then weren’t as good as many predicted.  Still a chance for Baker or the Sam Darnolds, Jeff Goffs, out there… but what about the Ryan Tannehills ?  Is Zach Wilson worse than Baker ?  Possibility Baker ends up a Jet in the future …  

I’m not sold on Tua either … so Miami will also have to consider the injury he suffers now and what if something grave happened to him ?