Preseason Game 1 - Bengals vs. Bears

ArmyBengal

Overall, it was good. Especially for a first pre-season game. Last year, the horror of what was to come at o-line showed up right away in pre-season game 1 and carried forward all pre-season into the regular season. Last night showed that the line has a chance to be simply average. Get average play from the o-line, and the skill players at WR, RB and TE can REALLY make plays. The flash from both the offense and first team defense was a reason to feel pretty good this AM, frankly, if you are a Bengals fan. 

• Like 1

I just read that when they did the fake punt, it was because they noticed the Bears only had 10 men on the field.
I even heard people in the stands make comments about not liking that in preseason games.

However, if that's what they see happening on the field, then they should take advantage of it the way they would in a game and make the effort to execute it.

It was Fej's call, based on the look. I have two quick thoughts:

1. Some growth from Marvin to let Fej have that kind of autonomy; and

2. I don't give a flying flip about putting it on tape. If you are going to be good at fakes, you have to practice them, and if it makes punt return teams slow their rush to guard against the possibility of this...good.

O line looked a ton better.  Ced got a long look.  He started slow, his worst 3 plays were in his first 5 or so.  After that he was decent.  I think it’s the different coaching.  The punch style instead of the hip catch probably serves a long armed guy like Ced.  Munoz didn’t try to hide it, he approves of the more aggressive style.  Alexander was a little bitch who’s long tenure here hurt this team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, COB said:

O line looked a ton better.  Ced got a long look.  He started slow, his worst 3 plays were in his first 5 or so.  After that he was decent.  I think it’s the different coaching.  The punch style instead of the hip catch probably serves a long armed guy like Ced.  Munoz didn’t try to hide it, he approves of the more aggressive style.  Alexander was a little bitch who’s long tenure here hurt this team.

All I know is that while the o-line didn't do much in the running game, they looked competent, no stupid mistakes and gave Dalton enough time (outside of Ced's typical blunders against back-ups) - nothing overly impressive, but that group really isn't any ways.   Of course they should get better..

Lafell's early release was also a Marvin pat on the back.  Let's him and his agent take their time surveying the various landing spots.  Marvin likes and respects veterans.  To a fault.  Though in this case I think Brandon Lafell earned it, he was nothing but a great teammate while here.  

17 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

All I know is that while the o-line didn't do much in the running game, they looked competent, no stupid mistakes and gave Dalton enough time (outside of Ced's typical blunders against back-ups) - nothing overly impressive, but that group really isn't any ways.   Of course they should get better..

I didn't notice the o-line at all during the game.

That's the way I like it.

Just an interesting note on James Daniels C who played against the Bengals 2nd team and maybe 3rd for the bears.  Looks like fans think he’ll be the starter by week 2->

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2018/8/10/17675050/chicago-bears-cincinnati-bengals-game-ball-james-daniels-iowa-center-harry-hiestand-cody-whitehair

19 hours ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

youtube Billy, next day highlights

Fuck that. If they can cover Nascar, they can cover all the NFL games. I shouldn't have to go dumpster diving to see my team's coverage of the game.

I usually go to YouTube as well.  It's the same highlights, only specific to your team.  Save's the time of sitting through all the other nonsense I don't care about.
I don't even watch much of the local channels anymore.  There's more detailed information available elsewhere.