Hobson Article on the New Approach from Pollack for the O-line

membengal

36 minutes ago, GapControl said:

Is it safe to say that Bodine is a better NFL player than Ced?  Wonder if he has won the starting job in buffalo...

Now that he is no longer being coached by Alexander, and consequently being forced to pass block with the hip catch method, Bodine could turn into a different player.  

Bodine could do better in run scheme similar to what they employed in 2014.

After that year in it was more read and react by blockers and backs.

Bodine simply couldn’t execute reach blocks in which he gained ground/stalemated  often enough.   Most of the time he lost ground. I wrote about this concerning TV view vs end zone view you get on all-22. 

Memory serves that  Bodine was asked to lateral step to reach a guy in the B gap and then take him where he wanted to go.   With the RB reading that and cutting.

On TV it looks he is driven backwards.  All 22 different story.   

A good upper tier center will get stalemates in those reach blocks most of the time.  

Bodine would also lose leverage in pass pro often enough. Considering every Center 90% is in help mode and rarely one on one that is something he needs to get better at. 

Guys switching off guards simply could get under him and drive back. 

Not sure what Buffalo does.  Would not be shocked  to see Bodine start for a few years. 

Would be shocked if he was ever considered top half good. 

Similar topic Hill could have resurgence in NE.   Keep him going downhill and he’s a quality runner.

His best games post 2014 came against teams that would force DEs/LBs up the field.  Bengals would run more counter trey stuff which was perfect for Hill. 

Reading blocks not so much. 

8 hours ago, COB said:

His career might get up, but it will walk with a pronounced limp for the rest of his life.  

Just an FYI, the "American Limping Federation" or ALF has announced the word "pronounced" is a micro aggression and found to be offensive.
They ask that as opposed to the word "pronounced", people now use "strong".  While acknowledging they do in fact have a limp, it should be a "strong" one.
Also, related to football, the AFL will be petitioning the NFL to designate safe spaces in all stadiums to help all ALF members cope when exposed to such intolerance. 

IMO,  the front office/Marvin screwed the line more than Alexander.    Unless someone can find a quote saying Alexander would rather play with Hopkins and Ced over Z and Whit. 

The simple fact is they missed on 3 critical picks in a row with the line.

Marvin personally scouted Bodine.   They lost Whit playing money games.  Who was an “all pro” catching defenders. 

They simply were not paying a guard over 8 mil. 

Fisher and Ced are not even factors in the line competition for jobs it seems. Flops. 

3/5s of this line could be different in 2 seasons. 

Pollack has to be judged on how he duck tapes it together this season.  

Your right side might be Roland quality with a rookie center.  

Tough task. 

• 2 weeks later...

#Bengals rookie center Billy Price allowed zero total pressures across his 30 pass-block snaps against the #Bills on Sunday. Price has yet to allow a single pressure through three preseason games (59 pass-block snaps).

• Like 1

I hope line isn’t going to be as big an issue as last year, but the lack of running success is concerning.

At least pressure with the 1s seems to be good.  Although preseason is not know for game planning and tight coverage so a vet QB in a quick passing scheme should favor pass pro. 

7 minutes ago, Kazkal said:

Alexander wasn't the fault for losing zeitler and whitworth but he is at fault for not having replacements the guy has never been able to produce late round picks and nail in the coffin was  when his 1st and 2nd rounders turned in to busts.

Marvin and Tobin run the draft.   Alexander files scouting reports. 

Collective failure.  

Line probably needs infusion of talent before Pollack can be judged as a coach. 

The other part of this equation is Lazor.  I think the o-line will come around, but if their run blocking remains poor, then how well can Lazor scheme around it?  There are ways to get your guys in space.  Will they be creative enough to pursue them or will they insist on pounding it down the middle in crowded spaces?

I'm not a believer that good running sets up good passing or vice versa.  I think they are independent of each other.
That being said, if the run isn't working, go the route of the rest of the league and ensure you are able to distribute the ball creatively.

While looking at the 2018 Bengals, they appear to have done just that.
AJ, Boyd, Ross, and Eifert, along with Mixon and Gio out of the backfield is formidable.
People can hate Dalton all they like, but he's knowledgeable and capable enough to utilize those weapons.

While I would rather have an extremely strong running game to compliment the passing attack, I don't believe it's a "be all, end all" either.
If the passing game is their strength, then be the bully and make defenses stop it.

12 hours ago, Stripes said:

I think Erickson is a very capable receiver as well, and on a team with less depth he'd probably play a more significant offensive role.

He’s blown the ghosts of Ryan Whalen and that LSU Guy (can’t remember his name Treadwell?) out of the water of my memory.

Erickson not as good as Baby Hawk was though.

Hard to say...

Without Boyd and Ross on the team, his opportunities in the passing game would increase for Erickson and we would get a better idea if he was the better WR or not.
On the flip side, once Sanu and Marvin Jones were added to the roster, it made letting Baby Hawk walk away easier on the team.  There was no other role for him.
They also certainly weren't going to pay him the money the Browns did after investing in the WR position.
Again, he went to the Browns and had one good season.  After that, nothing more than 324 receiving yards in a season and 3 TD's combined.

Understand I am a fan of Baby Hawk.

15 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Hard to say...

Without Boyd and Ross on the team, his opportunities in the passing game would increase for Erickson and we would get a better idea if he was the better WR or not.
On the flip side, once Sanu and Marvin Jones were added to the roster, it made letting Baby Hawk walk away easier on the team.  There was no other role for him.
They also certainly weren't going to pay him the money the Browns did after investing in the WR position.
Again, he went to the Browns and had one good season.  After that, nothing more than 324 receiving yards in a season and 3 TD's combined.

Understand I am a fan of Baby Hawk.

All good points