Jump to content
cincyhokie

Mark Walton, RB - 4th Round

Recommended Posts

Fast.  Check.  Change of direction.  Check.  Can catch and get YAC.  Check.  Plays hard.  Check.  

Take a look at this clip.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gio type of player - what's not to like ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

size to speed ratio for Gio is very good

size to speed ratio for this player is not good

Said another way: both players are small but at least Gio is fast, unlike this new guy with his 4.6 40

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Color me jaded...  I hated this pick.
Not the player, the pick.  Look at how many other players were still on the board to be had.
This one irked me for sure.

Wish good things for the young man while in stripes though !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That too, Army - we needed a potential OL starter at this pick, not a third string (and this would be best case) RB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, I can acknowledge the weak OL class that it was and there were two that went between this pick and the Bengals next pick in the 5th.

However, here are 3 I would have preferred:

Da'Shawn Hand, DE, Alabama-  Athletic with the versatility to play inside and outside on the d-line.
Anthony Averett, CB, Alabama-  A cover corner that has starter potential.
Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan-  Medical condition, yes.  First round talent who would be nice next to Geno, yes.

Basically, what they got later on but have a better chance of either making an impact in their rookie season or becoming a starter.
I just think these positions should have gotten the attention earlier than RB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

He ran a 4.6 40 at a mere 200 lbs....I would call that something other than fast

He injured his ankle in October.   Ended his season.   He claims he could have played in their bowl game but didn’t want to risk it.

Ran 4.5 at the Miami pro day after the combine.  

He’s a clone of Gio who was 2nd round pick.

He was available in the 4th round because of disappointing combine time combined with a strong RB class last year and this year. 

It was a very good value pick.  

Any negative grade on the pick itself would be based on need preferences.  Although the Bengals are down RB roster spot wise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Again, I can acknowledge the weak OL class that it was and there were two that went between this pick and the Bengals next pick in the 5th.

However, here are 3 I would have preferred:

Da'Shawn Hand, DE, Alabama-  Athletic with the versatility to play inside and outside on the d-line.
Anthony Averett, CB, Alabama-  A cover corner that has starter potential.
Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan-  Medical condition, yes.  First round talent who would be nice next to Geno, yes.

Basically, what they got later on but have a better chance of either making an impact in their rookie season or becoming a starter.
I just think these positions should have gotten the attention earlier than RB.

This rookie RB will have a chance at greater impact via special teams.

You could say the same for DB at this spot.

To be honest I don’t know what the hell they are going to do with all the Dline.

Somebody should run a depth chart.   

I thought they grabbed two impact DEs last year that will be studs that were underutilized.

MJ is probably goneunless he earn snaps as DT rusher BUT that was a Zimmer/Pauly thing.  

The rest of Dline is future because both Atkins and Dunlap are FAs after the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amphar: for all I know this 4th round running back may end up being the second incarnation of Emmitt Smith or LaDainian Tomlinson, but until that time comes, this pick was a major mistake. Should have been a ORT, although really, the ORT should have come in r2 or r3 and the DL/DB/LB picks they made there instead should have slid down to 4. You dont prioritize a third string RB over a potential starter at any spot - especially a pot of dire need - unless, of course, you are the moronic Bengals staff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Amphar: for all I know this 4th round running back may end up being the second incarnation of Emmitt Smith or LaDainian Tomlinson, but until that time comes, this pick was a major mistake. Should have been a ORT, although really, the ORT should have come in r2 or r3 and the DL/DB/LB picks they made there instead should have slid down to 4. You dont prioritize a third string RB over a potential starter at any spot - especially a pot of dire need - unless, of course, you are the moronic Bengals staff

I’m just pointing out his 40 time at his pro day and the fact he has a good chance to contribute to special teams.

Making this a good value pick.

We all can play the game of projecting  the absolute worse vs the best to hate or like a pick.

Why waste the time pissing and moaning over a weak class of offensive tackles? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All is true.  The draft is a crap shoot.  It's nothing but speculation.
I just base it off of what I watch, but then again, I'm not really watching anymore so who knows ??
Do 2 minutes of the game's highlights on Youtube the next day count as "being knowledgeable" ??

None of us really know I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, there are things that are more probable than others, like a new ORT would have a better chance to start (and ergo contribute) than a 3rd string RB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, if anyone was asking me.  It's not the pick that bothers me, it's what led to it.
When Connor Williams is sitting there why trade back to get more picks ??
He was one that was projected as a starter in the league and thought to be a solid RT prospect.

If you just needed to have Bates, then trade back UP to get him.  It would have cost a 3rd and 5th at best to get back into the 2nd round.
We give up who ??  Jefferson and Harris ??  Oh no.  It would have made this pick more tolerable.

I know, there's no telling what they did or did not try to do, but I just feel like when you know you have a hole, you go address it.
Be aggressive in trying to make improvements as opposed to sitting back and letting whatever come to you.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Army, whether this is true or not, I can't say, but in the Locked on Bengals podcast Goodberry said the Cowboys drafted Williams with the aim of him playing guard, and that a lot of teams viewed him as a guard. So he wouldn't necessarily have been the answer at RT, maybe. I have no idea how the Bengals viewed him, but if they viewed him as a guard, it may explain why they passed on him 2. Dunno. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I saw that as well.  I don't honestly know, but can only go by what many reported about him.
Starting LT for the Longhorns, but thought his best fit would be at RT or OG.
For me, I would have preferred seeing this team (who's o-line sucked in 2017) make all efforts to improve it.
Williams would have at least given competition to a group that I see very little from.

Ogbuehi, Fisher, Hart, and whomever else they want to toss in the ring. 
That (to me) is a large group of suck.

I certainly do get that this class of o-linemen was not the best though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TJJackson said:

why do I even bother replying to you? no, wait, dont answer that......

This pick has been described as a Gio Clone.

The immortal Rex Burkhead ran a 4.7

Oh the HORROR!   This is coming from a fan that wanted to fill the RT but the prospects weren’t there and that’s how it played out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

well, there are things that are more probable than others, like a new ORT would have a better chance to start (and ergo contribute) than a 3rd string RB

Lol,  it’s more probable that THE top tackle in this draft will struggle regardless as a rookie.

To think a 4th round tackle upends any existing right tackle on the roster pre draft isn’t impossible but highly unlikely.

You are not even presenting rational thought.   

It’s highly likely we will see this pick play special teams since he was very good at it in college AND they do get the ball to 3 backs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Again, if anyone was asking me.  It's not the pick that bothers me, it's what led to it.
When Connor Williams is sitting there why trade back to get more picks ??
He was one that was projected as a starter in the league and thought to be a solid RT prospect.

If you just needed to have Bates, then trade back UP to get him.  It would have cost a 3rd and 5th at best to get back into the 2nd round.
We give up who ??  Jefferson and Harris ??  Oh no.  It would have made this pick more tolerable.

I know, there's no telling what they did or did not try to do, but I just feel like when you know you have a hole, you go address it.
Be aggressive in trying to make improvements as opposed to sitting back and letting whatever come to you.
 

Connor Williams was projecting as guard.  

I believe there is some speculation about why the Cowboys announced him as a Guard when it was speculated that Collins was going to get that spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some dude on the radio commenting on Connor Williams and the Cowboys proclaimed league scouts don’t like Texas tackles with high picks from their most recent offense because it doesn’t translate to what pro tackles have to do.

There is a curve.   

But really that’s been a lot of programs,IMO,  you can run down a list of top draft tackles that have struggled big time recently. 

This notion that they could have upgraded in Round 1 at RT isn’t based in reality and much less talking about round 4. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They’re obviously counting on Fisher to fill the right tackle spot.  The thinking probably goes along the lines of his heart issue was hindering him, now his heart’s fixed so he’s a monster!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can argue that he isn't fast.  Ok.

You can't argue his quickness and change of direction.

He'll be the 3rd RB and in on some 3rd downs because he can catch and run.  Very few LBs have a chance of covering him.

He'll also be used for special teams.  But yeah, it's a wait and see thing.  The Bengals have been good in the 4th round in the past, so there's that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saying you can’t do something so you just don’t try is just lazy, if that’s what they were thinking. I have no idea if they were thinking that or not, but their actions speak fairly loudly.

The OT position outside of Glenn is pathetic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×