Draft Grades and Reviews 2018

GapControl

I’ll start with Baltimore Beatdown- they give Cincy the best grade of the AFC North after Day 1and 2.

Cincinnati Bengals

The Cincinnati Bengals had several needs heading into the 2018 NFL Draft. They still need help on the offensive line as well as safety among other needs. In the first-round, Cincinnati selected Ohio State Billy Price, who was once considered the top center in this class. Price suffered an injury at the 2018 NFL Scouting Combine, which hurt his draft stock. Although he is expected to be ready for training camp.

Cincinnati had three picks heading into day two (46, 77 and 100), however, they traded back from 46 with the Kansas City Chiefs. Cincinnati acquired the 54th and 78th selections in exchange for the 46th and 100th picks.

The Bengals selected Wake Forest safety Jessie Bates III with the 54th overall pick. He is seemingly a perfect fit in Cincinnati’s defensive scheme. Bates III is a true free safety. He is a ballhawk, who is an immediate upgrade for the Bengals’ defense. Some considered Bates III to be worthy of a first-round selection, which makes this a great value selection. He was one of the surprise fallers in this draft.

With the 77th overall pick, the Bengals selected Ohio State defensive end Sam Hubbard. He has a ton of upside. Hubbard is not an athletic edge rusher, but he has great technique and is phenomenal with his hands. Hubbard adds another element to Cincinnati’s front-seven.

Cincinnati selected Texas linebacker Malik Jefferson with the next pick. Jefferson is excellent in coverage, and has sideline to sideline speed. Jefferson is not a strong run-defender and lacks the ability to shed blocks at times. With Vontaze Burfict’s future up in the air, the Bengals bolstered their linebacker corps.

Grade: A

Can someone tell me what the hell they are going to do with 7 more picks in the later rounds ??

Still need OT because if they roll with what they have, that’s a poor decision.  Get another CB to add some depth. Maybe another kicker ?? Maybe a QB but only if they shitcan Barkley ?? 

Maybe they still trade back up ?? I didn’t really like that trade back in the 2nd round and don’t like that they haven’t addressed OT yet. 

I still won’t complain with what they’ve done to this point though. Pretty solid on paper.

3 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

This draft is officially a steaming turd pile. 

Remaining picks (and there are too many to keep) will not help salvage it.

The only good thing they can do now is trade 5s and lower this year for higher round picks next year, when hopefully sanity will return to the draft room

Mike Brown just read this post and threw his dentures across the room.  He thought he had you this year.

So they added Price and that's it basically.  2 unsettled positions on the right side still, and no quality OT depth to speak of (I assume Hopkins will have to earn his position at RG again, but he's a back-up playing in a full-time starting role, IMO).  The Fisher/Ced picks are killing them.  Gets assistants fired.

I like the Price/Bates picks well enough, can come around on Hubbard's appeal here, but am suspect of another Texas LB who can't help against the run, was there not a decent OT or G prospect there? 

A RB, I guess, but why so early? Another garbage QB and a slow 6'5" WR who very likely won't make the roster, along with a mediocre NT candidate who is more of a PS project.

I have to give this one a C.  Then again I just don't think this draft had a lot of interesting talent, very bland class of players, so whateva.

• Like 1

It should have been 4th round OG and 7th round RB, not the other way around.

They must have felt pretty exposed with Jeremy Hill down the road in NE.  

Also - the fact that they have made no substantive attempt to fill Ross’ spot shows he didn’t really have a spot.  He was a vanity pick, a reckless swing for the fences.  

Agree they haven’t done enough to fix the line.  

B minus.

I was good with what they did early assuming they would further address the o-line. They didn’t do that until later which is just baffling. 

They seriously picked 11 new players. What the fuck are they going to do with 11 new players ?? What an absolute waste.

I liked the Price and Bates picks as well but can only hope Hubbard and Jackson turn out to be really solid picks although I have my doubts.

Afyer that the only pick that sparks any type of interest to me is Darius Phillips the CB from Western Michigan. Have any of you watched the highlights of that kid ?? VERY intriguing.

So maybe 5 decent to good picks and another 6 that will be lucky to make the practice squad. This front office just seems to have no clue what they are doing. No OT earlier ?? Senseless. It’s like we watch a different game than the coaches and owners.

Want to love this draft more but I can’t. 

I give it a C+ at best.

I love Marvin’s comments about not being able to fix an o-line in a season without 3 first round draft picks. As if they always only had first round linemen playing.

I call total BS. They had every opportunity to address that need and went with other players that I bet won’t make the team. I get not going OG as I said I think they have that covered, but getting a RT should have been a higher priority. 

No let’s fly with trying to get something from either Ogbuehi, Fisher, or Hart. A bust, a heart condition, and a guy that always played OG in college and sucked so bad at RT last year, he was cut.

Great plan guys, I’m sure we will see massive improvement.

Well the coaches must be more sold on the RT talent that is already here than i am.

Love the first two picks as need fillers, but would have rather had Conner Williams OT in the second.

We have all the WR's we need, RB bench depth was needed and they got more LB depth, but it seems like they missed an opportunity to really push the OL forward.

I give it a C+ with potential

7 hours ago, TJJackson said:

What a piece of shit this was.  A monkey pulling names randomly out of a hat could do better following r1.

I think it’s the worst draft I’ve seen by Lewis.  

Two guys to the O-line out of 11.  3 if you count Glenn.  

A ton of Secondary players.  Are they going to play dime every play with only two Lbs?

Its a D grade for me without Glenn C- with.

Ill give them credit for getting proven guys with talent but I can’t believe this teams offense is improved.

Here’s my thing. I get that it wasn’t a great OL class but you can’t tell me that they just shouldn’t have tried until late in the draft.

Hell, still what I would call late but in the 5th round they went Davonte Harris, CB over Tyrell Crosby. He grades as a RT and where does Harris fit on this roster ??  Crosby goes 2 picks later. Then later in the 5th they go Andrew Brown, DE over Jamarco Jones who could play on either side. Where does Brown fit on this roster ??

I get it, those two may never be All Pro players but at least they would fit a need and could compete with the bag full of suck they currently have.

Just not happy how it shook out.

The Bengals took the #12 overall pick in the 1st round and turned it into Cordy Glenn and Billy Price.  Grade A.

Second round they took one of the top safeties in the draft.  Could have had Connor Williams but passed.  Grade B.

Third round was Sam Hubbard and Jefferson to help the defense.  I've got no problems with this.  Jefferson provides good quickness for nickel packages.  Grade B.

Day 3 was a mix of what looks like talented players at different positions.  Only one pick for the O-line, however.  Where are they going to have room for 7 picks from day 3?  Grade B-.

Overall, I'll give them a B grade. 

Should be interesting to see how Jake Fisher looks at RT with his heart issue.  If he's a problem, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a recently released OT and strengthen that position.  Glad we have Pollack as OL coach.  The 2nd team OGs played well at the end of the season and if they can produce, this line with the additions of Glenn and Price, should be much better.  Again, we also have a new OL coach.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cincyhokie said:

The Bengals took the #12 overall pick in the 1st round and turned it into Cordy Glenn and Billy Price.  Grade A.

Second round they took one of the top safeties in the draft.  Could have had Connor Williams but passed.  Grade B.

Third round was Sam Hubbard and Jefferson to help the defense.  I've got no problems with this.  Jefferson provides good quickness for nickel packages.  Grade B.

Day 3 was a mix of what looks like talented players at different positions.  Only one pick for the O-line, however.  Where are they going to have room for 7 picks from day 3?  Grade B-.

Overall, I'll give them a B grade. 

Should be interesting to see how Jake Fisher looks at RT with his heart issue.  If he's a problem, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a recently released OT and strengthen that position.  Glad we have Pollack as OL coach.  The 2nd team OGs played well at the end of the season and if they can produce, this line with the additions of Glenn and Price, should be much better.  Again, we also have a new OL coach.  

After watching and reading some, I think they could easily do that or sign a guy off a PS somewhere like what happened to JJ Dielman last year.

I don't know about the kicker.  I thought they would as well, but then again, Bullock didn't have a bad season in 2017 either. 
I'm more surprised they didn't double tap the LB position myself.

I did however go back and look over each of the picks again and here's where I am today:

Price-  I already like the pick, but being reminded by Hokie the team turned their #12 into both Glenn and Price is pretty awesome.  A
Bates-  The team stated they wanted to improve coverage skills from the safeties and it would look like the did just that.  Williams was on the board 4 picks prior to this pick. "B"
Hubbard-  They need some more depth at the position, but Hubbard just never jumped out at me and I'm a Buckeyes fan who watched them all.  I'll be fair.  "B"
Jefferson-  If he truly never got the help at Texas to progress with all the changes they made and he turns out to be a monster great.  Still a need.  "B"
Walton-  An injured 3rd RB behind Gio and Mixon ??  What's not to love ??  Still solid players on the board.  My new Shawn Williams pick.  HATE IT !!!  "D"
Harris-  We knew CB was going to be added to the mix and this wasn't a bad place to do it.  Small school but looks solid.  Fast. "B"
Brown-  DE that they say will probably move inside to DT.  Jamarco Jones, OT, Ohio State was still on the board.  "C"
Phillips-  Yet another CB, but this is your replacement for what Adam Jones brought to special teams.  Return BEAST (12 return TD's).  Love it.  "A"
Woodside-  While I don't love Barkley, he's here.  I do however, like Driskel.  Who is this dude ??  Not much left though.  "D"
Taylor-  Can't say as I love or hate the guy.  Seems more of a OG, than OT.  Too late for more o-line help (that won't).  "D"
Tate-  Now see, if you are going to take a flier late, this is the kind of guy I want.  A big bodied WR that has produced.  Not much room though.  "B"

I still come up with a "C" when looking at those grades and I hate the fact they didn't bother with adding a RT to the mix in any way.
If in fact Fisher is back healthy and capable of holding it down, then I will give it a B.
I still can't believe they just added 11 more dudes to the mix though.  Would have been great to get quality over quantity.

Then again, that's all perceived...

I’m not put off by the lack of not drafting an offensive tackle.   Not a great class.

Draft one everyone can stand and applaud but it’s unlikely even the top talent would have much of an offensive impact and could have very well struggled like an increasing amount of high draft picks.

I down grade the draft by not getting the second interior line player. 

Pre draft it was a loaded interior class and the talent went higher than usual to a historical level lending credibility to that thought. 

I like the athletic LB from Texas.  That’s what they needed.   Safety sounds like a center fielder so maybe that can give some more 3 safety options to get better underneath coverage. 

Probably a strong C+

On 4/28/2018 at 6:15 PM, ShulaSteakhouse said:

So they added Price and that's it basically.  2 unsettled positions on the right side still, and no quality OT depth to speak of (I assume Hopkins will have to earn his position at RG again, but he's a back-up playing in a full-time starting role, IMO).  The Fisher/Ced picks are killing them.  Gets assistants fired.

I like the Price/Bates picks well enough, can come around on Hubbard's appeal here, but am suspect of another Texas LB who can't help against the run, was there not a decent OT or G prospect there? 

A RB, I guess, but why so early? Another garbage QB and a slow 6'5" WR who very likely won't make the roster, along with a mediocre NT candidate who is more of a PS project.

I have to give this one a C.  Then again I just don't think this draft had a lot of interesting talent, very bland class of players, so whateva.

OK, Mr. Sourpuss. I give it a C+ for the same reasons but I'm not about to have an emotional episode over it. It's going to be ok. 

I think the Texas LB is exactly the cover ba ker they need. None of the others in that group can run as he does. Think a faster, stronger Lamur. 

Darius Phillips is another interesting pick but didn't we get that same type player last year? Brandon WILSON, maybe they are focusing on ST? 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000930801/article/2018-nfl-draft-five-teams-that-added-most-talent-on-defense

We arrived at these rankings using NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt's Hot 150 prospect rankings as the measurement. Points were assigned to each draftee based on where he ranked in Brandt's Hot 150. The No. 1-rated prospect received 150 points, the No. 2 prospect received 149 points, etc.

Cincinnati Bengals

(Behind Titans #1)

Score: 286 points (4 players)

The players (points): 

No. 52 in Brandt's Hot 150: Wake Forest S Jessie Bates (99) 

No. 63: Ohio State DE Sam Hubbard (88) 

No. 68: Texas LB Malik Jefferson (83) 

No. 135: Virginia DT Andrew Brown (16) 

The skinny: The Bengals made additions to every level of their defense with Hot 150 players, from a roaming deep safety in Bates, to an athletic linebacker in Jefferson, to a disruptive end in Hubbard. They allowed 339 yards per game last year, placing them in the middle of the pack league-wide (18th). With this draft class, they should be able to climb that list.

Edited by GapControl
  • Thanks 1