11 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya like? Vote category and name your guy as comment

• Corner
    • O line
    • LB
    • D line
    • S
    • RB - QB - WR (catch-all)

NFL Network guys give the pick a B+ (for what that's worth).

Apparently the Bengals' aren't high on Williams or Illoka.  Do they want to move Illoka to SS? Bates is a true NFL FS. 

I will say that Williams is terrible, and I don't really get the Illoka love (inconsistent at-best), so Bates is going to probably start, so I don't understand why the media here hasn't reported more about that situation and the Bengals' seemingly desperate attempts to acquire a S this off-season.

Just now, ShulaSteakhouse said:

NFL Network guys give the pick a B+ (for what that's worth).

Apparently the Bengals' aren't high on Williams or Illoka.  Do they want to move Illoka to SS? Bates is a true NFL FS. 

I will say that Williams is terrible, and I don't really get the Illoka love (inconsistent at-best), so Bates is going to probably start, so I don't understand why the media here hasn't reported more about that situation and the Bengals' seemingly desperate attempts to acquire a S this off-season.

You don't understand why the media could give two shits about the Bengals? 

I used to think you had some sense. 

2 minutes ago, kingwilly said:

You don't understand why the media could give two shits about the Bengals? 

I used to think you had some sense. 

I'm talking about the local media who cover the team.  I've never heard anyone explain why they are so hot after a starting-caliber S when they have two of them under big, multi-year contracts that were signed before last season (2016).   Both of them run through 2020.  Granted Williams sucks, but then why draft a FS? Why look at them in FA? 

1 minute ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

I'm talking about the local media who cover the team.  I've never heard anyone explain why they are so hot after a starting-caliber S when they have two of them under big, multi-year contracts that were signed before last season (2016).   Both of them run through 2020.  Granted Williams sucks, but then why draft a FS? Why look at them in FA? 

Nobody knows with new D Coordinator.

My guess is the back 7 is becoming more and more role specific.   

Iloka or Williams weren’t big contracts comparatively. 

Trading down was a terrible decision.  We need quality, not quantity

I could be proven wrong, naturally, when this FS is named a first ballot Hall of Famer, but for now, this pick is gawdawful.  WE NEED STARTERS in day 1 and 2 picks and this schmoe ain't a starter.  We also have multiple needs at other positions more than DB.  This guy is small for a S and yet also isn't all that fast.  The draft profile calls him a "ballhawk" yet he's got exactly one pick to his name.  I'd be ok with this pick if it was round 6 or later, but it ain't

The rotting cherry to top this turd sundae is that they passed up a better S with more size AND more speed from a bigger better football program.  This better S went to Texas just a few picks later so the silver lining is that this shoulda made Army's kid happy.  

THIS PICK SUCKS DEAD DONKEY DONG

and I wrote that for Dimster, as a summary

I don't often agree with Kid Steakhouse, but yeah, there is some problem with one or more of the safeties we have on the roster that neither the team nor the media have bothered to explain to us.  The reason, whatever it is, plus the subsequent bumbling with the two veteran safeties we brought in, is what led us to this gawdawful pick.