The O-Line Roster

GapControl

I dont want an OG as I believe we have OG covered with players already on the roster. When Westerman and Redmond (finally) were inserted at OG late last season, our OL was far better. As such, I'd rather try to get a starter at OC or ORT with the pick at 21. Even if there is an OG there who grades out higher.

Don't get me wrong - I know a top notch OG can help us as well. What I am instead saying I that I believe a top notch ORT or OC can help us MORE, because our weakness at those two spots is far greater than any issues we have at OG

I'd be OK if the pick at 21 was used on an OC, an OT, or a coverage/speed LB. All are positions of extreme need. BPA be damned, we need some starters at these spots

If we take a RB, WR, CB, or TE at 21, I will be needing a new TV and possibly some repair work done on my home. I wont be happy if it is a S, DL, or a QB but I wont be taking out my fury on innocent household furnishings if thats the case.

I will not be the slightest bit surprised to see them NOT take an o-lineman at #21.
With Center being the huge massive hole to fill that it is, there is still a precedence of when Centers historically get selected.
Since I feel there are easily 3-4 of them I would be ok with, I think they can address that in the 2nd round.
What I would love to see them do (I know I'm pipe dreaming here) is trade back into the 2nd round and take an OT that will probably be there.
It might cost them their first 3rd round and a couple of 5th's but they can afford that since they have two 3rd rounders and three 5th rounders. (That was the cost last year for comparisons)

Something like this would be great:
1. LB
2a. OC
2b. OT

I would have no issue seeing them go o-line with the first 2 picks, but I won't be surprised if they don't.

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

I dont want an OG as I believe we have OG covered with players already on the roster. When Westerman and Redmond (finally) were inserted at OG late last season, our OL was far better. As such, I'd rather try to get a starter at OC or ORT with the pick at 21.

I'd be OK if the pick at 21 was used on an OC, an OT, or a coverage/speed LB. All are positions of extreme need. BPA be damned, we need some starters at these spots

If we take a RB, WR, CB, or TE at 21, I will be needing a new TV and possibly some repair work done on my home. I wont be happy if it is a S, DL, or a QB but I wont be taking out my fury on innocent household furnishings if thats the case.

I agree with not needing a RG, but it would depend on who else is there when the pick is made.  They could do worse. 
I know he gets slammed, but they got Hart from the Giants who played him at RT, when he's more of a RG.  I think he will provide good competition for that position.

OC, OT, LB ??  Yes, I agree wholeheartedly !!!

Of the other positions left, they only one I could see as a remote possibility is safety when considering they were trying to upgrade with a starter during free agency.
Could they shock everyone and take a QB early ??  Maybe Lamar Jackson ??  I find that highly unlikely, but wouldn't rule it out completely.
Then again, every off throw by Dalton will have the fans booing and chanting "JACKSON" loudly, so maybe it's less than highly unlikely.

Come to think of it, the extreme haters of Dalton might still boo and chant "JACKSON" even if we don't draft him !!!  :grin:

Point I tried to make before. 

Last year there was this prospect Lamp from WKU.  Played tackle but a guard at NFL.

It was a weak class at the top but there was plenty of hub bub about having to have him because he was the best graded of the group.

Purely from grade standpoint.  Nelson is a much better prospect.  Wynn and Hernandez right there with Lamp.  I think Hernandez should be higher right behind Nelson, IMO.

Flip side RT McClinghey is getting the Lamp effect this year.  He’s the best of a suspect tackle class.  

Teams drafting tackles in the first round this year are reaching.  I hope some do as long as it’s not the Bengals. 

Transform this line overnight is grab Center and on of these guards.  Combined with Mixon. 

Nelson, Hernandez, Wynn paired with a Center at 46 is one of A+++ scenarios.

Another scenario is the tackle from Texas not being a tackle but rather a guard.  If he purely projected as guard and had majority of film at guard how much higher is grade would be.   Center + him would be for me A. 

Lamar Jackson and Center A+ scenario

Any tackle in the first is C for me

Vea Vita or Alabama NT + Center/Guard B++ or A 

I think it's too difficult to say one way or another if they are truly "worth" the #21 pick.
Most of the guys being spoken about as 1st round OT's are guys that all played LT.

Wynn is being considered a OG even though he was a LT at Georgia.
Orlando Brown was a LT at Oklahoma, but had a miserable combine and who knows?
Kolton Miller was a LT at UCLA
Mike McGlinchey was a LT at Notre Dame, but started out at RT.
Connor Williams was a LT at Texas

At least those are about the only ones I've seen mocked to possibly go in the first round.
Outside of McGlinchey, those guys did not play RT.  Who's to say they would fair better or worse on the right side ??
Some guys say there is no difference, while others think it not even comparing apples to oranges.

My point is, that I feel it's hard to say what we would get out of any of these guys on the right side of the line.
I still feel McGlinchey is more suited for the right side, but would be a nice backup to Glenn should something happen to him.
I also think the guy will be gone before pick #21.  That in and of itself does not make him a great prospect, but I wouldn't complain if he were the pick.

Prior to Fagnow getting hurt he was probably the best Center in college football. His injury concerns me at #21, but would love to get him in the 2nd round. 

I have been looking at the LB class and think it’s very weak outside of the first round. I’m of the line of thought that thinks they don’t bother with drafting one until later. Since I thought they would go LB early (and they still may) I think things could get interesting in the first round.

How shocked would people be if they picked Lamar Jackson ?? If they aren’t going LB early, then draft Jackson, grab a Center in the 2nd and then use some of that draft capital to trade back into the 2nd round and grab a RT prospect that I think will still be there.

Boy that would shake things up and would surely excite a fan base that is certainly disinterested at best. Dalton haters should be salivating at that thought.

One ongoing joke among folks I talk to about the Bengals drafts is "so what injured player are they gonna take in round 1 this year?"

I like Ragnow. I like him a LOT. But the injury scares me terribly. He wasnt able to participate in the combine drills and this was many, many months after his injury occurred.

We need a player who can start right now (I emphasize, RIGHT NOW) at OC, and I am not sure Ragnow is that guy. You cant help the team from the trainer's room. See Eifert, Tyler.

To me, the ideal situation is one where we draft another center in r1 or r2 (Daniels, most probably, since Price also has injury concerns) and then wait to see if he slips to r5 or so, which is highly doubtful but not entirely out of the question due entirely to his injury. I would be thrilled to get him in r5 or later as a player I dont need to count on this year.

In this draft-2-centers scenario, assuming Ragnow is actually healthy enough to play RIGHT NOW -- whichever player of these two doesnt start at center most likely starts at RG, and the overall quality of our OLine is greatly improved

Lamar Jackson and Center at 46 would be an A+++ scenario for me

My best scenario would be a combination of Top Guard and Center

I’m Luke warm on tackle in the first.  

I’m luke warm on defenders in the first.

Both those could be higher to me if it included Center at 46.  

If they pass on the three centers in round 1, there is no guarantee one of them will be there when they pick in round 2. They need to get one of them in round 1. Unless McGlinchy falls to 21, that's my hope for what they do, one of the three centers. 

I would prefer Ragnow, and TJ, not sure where you are seeing that he is still limited? He went full in Arkansas' pro day?

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Article/Pro-Day-Report-Arkansas-Razorbacks-center-Frank-Ragnow-safety-Josh-Liddell-shine-116718349

Draft grades are what they are, but I like reading them and telling you guys about them so too bad for you.

However in the opinion of PFF Ragnow grades out near the Notre Dame guard Nelson.   Nelson is nearly a lock by everyone to be top 10 pick and most have top 5 overall.   They proclaim Ragnow is a top 10 prospect.

So yeah don’t fuck around if you got a chance to cure a huge weakness. 

But Mayock did put McGlinchey in top 8.  

On 4/20/2018 at 9:05 AM, AMPHAR said:

Point I tried to make before. 

Last year there was this prospect Lamp from WKU.  Played tackle but a guard at NFL.

It was a weak class at the top but there was plenty of hub bub about having to have him because he was the best graded of the group.

Purely from grade standpoint.  Nelson is a much better prospect.  Wynn and Hernandez right there with Lamp.  I think Hernandez should be higher right behind Nelson, IMO.

Flip side RT McClinghey is getting the Lamp effect this year.  He’s the best of a suspect tackle class.  

Teams drafting tackles in the first round this year are reaching.  I hope some do as long as it’s not the Bengals. 

Transform this line overnight is grab Center and on of these guards.  Combined with Mixon. 

Nelson, Hernandez, Wynn paired with a Center at 46 is one of A+++ scenarios.

Another scenario is the tackle from Texas not being a tackle but rather a guard.  If he purely projected as guard and had majority of film at guard how much higher is grade would be.   Center + him would be for me A. 

Lamar Jackson and Center A+ scenario

Any tackle in the first is C for me

Vea Vita or Alabama NT + Center/Guard B++ or A 

This, except for the part about Jackson, replace Jackson with Vea, Evans, or Ridley and you have my draft hopes in a nutshell.

Mayock has spoken.    Bengals take Ragnow.  

Mcglenchey and Nelson off the board.    Wynn, Hernandez, and Daniels on the board but taken in the first. 

That would buck some historical trends with 5 interior linemen going that soon 

So I guess you can say it’s better to Rag-Now instead of Rag-later _ rim shot, tip your bar tenders and waitresses, I’m here all week. 

• Like 2

I'd be good with Ragnow or Daniels, or McGlinchy if he's there, or if a can't-miss DB or LB falls (but they never do).

It's hard for me to convince myself that Mike Brown would pay a C 1st round money though - but he did draft Zeitler not too long ago at G, so at #21 I could see it happening - could also just as easily see them trading-down a couple of picks for an extra 6th or 7th rounder they'll just end-up cutting during camp.