The O-Line Roster

GapControl

On 4/5/2018 at 3:21 PM, yang said:

I see that AMPHAR and others are mocking a RG to us and there appears to be a couple excellent prospects but I'm going to cast doubt on that for a different reason.  I think we learned with Zeitler that you aren't going to sign a guard to a massive 2nd contract so we end up grooming these players for another team.   A corner, (Jackson, Alexander, Ward)   Offensive Tackle (McGlinchey) ,  Defensive End  (Davenport) or even a Defensive Tackle (Payne) can warrant a big second contract and the ensuing  cap hit, but being a small market team pretty much dictates how we draft.  

Unless they see Billings making a major leap I can easily see them drafting a massive defensive tackle like the Da'Ron Payne kid.   I think they would strongly consider McGlinchey.    I really think that the center James Daniels is best pick.  We need a center and he has the mobility to get to the 2nd level and would solidify the line,  but that runs into the same contract problems as an OG. 

All of this depends on who might fall to us as well.  I think we go with BPA,  if a Derwin James or D Ward falls I don't see how you pass them.  The choice will be easy.  Who knows how we have them rated. 

I don't think they mind paying the initial 3-5 year deal for a G or even a C in the late 1st/2nd rounds.  I think a C or G is fully in-play with the #21 pick, it just depends how highly McGlinchy or another OT is on their board I think.

So yeah if they don't think highly enough of Hernandez, Daniels or McGlinchy, could see someone like Payne for them at 21.

All these stories you see that are headlined something like, “The Greatest Need for Each of the 32 NFL Teams,” or “Most Likely First Round Pick For NFL Teams,” I don’t even read those stories this year.  The brain trust let our o-line deteriorate into such a state of disrepair that there is no debate what we need.  It’s more obvious than probably any other team in the league.

Overlooked every year during draft time is the actual quality of the class itself by position.

Just from the rumblings of draft experts, I think you’ll be hard pressed to draft a quality starting tackle at 21.   They may draft one and everyone may nod in agreement but it’s a wide spread problem about tackle development.  

Probably why the traded for Glenn and moved down.  Just a guess.

Supposedly interior line will have starting quality player in 3rd and 4th rounds.  How soon?  Anyone’s guess. 

As we have found out recently just because you draft a tackle in the first doesn’t necessarily mean you solved anything.

Ced and Fisher we’re probably higher rated prospects than the tackles available at 21. Similar issue as last year. 

There was no T considered worth taking at 12, but that’s not true at 21. At 21 that’s the rifht spot for McGlinchy or the Texas tackle. Wynn is perfectly slotted there too and he’s a G/T type. They traded back because it solved LT and put them better into the sweet spot for C/G/RT types. If they want a lineman, they can get a really really good one at 21 without reaching. 

• Like 1

12 to 21 is 9 spots and that isn’t a magic wand.   

It jives with what the experts are saying about the tackles.  

I have my doubts about them drafting at tackle at 21.   

I think it’s another weak class.  

Question becomes Center?  Will they?  @21? Supposed to be deep and good class of interior line players all the way to the 3rd/4th round. 

Large pizza says Cornerback,lol

• Sad 1

I don’t think so.  9 slots lower won’t cover two aspects

1. Missed value at another position 

2. Boost overall ceiling of the tackle 

Could be wrong I don’t see them taking tackle at 21 and I don’t think you get instant quality starter out of this tackle class. 

I can’t tell if you are trolling or not, so will stop responding after this. The bengals may be insane enough to go corner at 21, but you are flat wrong to state that there are no centers, guards or tackles worthy of the 21 pick overall. On top of that, while getting Glenn was a great first step to fixing the line ( as was firing Alexander), there is more that needs to be done and if they punt their needs for further upgrades at line to the middle rounds they would be making a huge mistake. Again. The following players would be a great value at 21 AND fit a screaming need on this team: McGlinchy, Wynn (he’s my choice), Daniels, Hernandez and maybe Williams. If those five or some combo are available and they pass on them for yet another frickin’ corner (who would sit and only play special teams) I am going to lose my mind.

While agreeing that I feel they need to add some CB depth, I do not see them needing to address it in the 1st. 
It would seem that between WJ3, Kirkpatrick, and Dennard, they have the first three set in stone.
After that, there are some questions and why I see them adding to that position group later.

If we don't go o-line at #21, I would have no problem seeing them address the LB corps with a guy like Evans from Alabama.
He's probably the best LB that should be available at that pick and I'm also not a huge fan of this LB class beyond the first round

So LB, Center, RT, CB with the first 4 picks if they don't go o-line in the first.
Yeah, I would ok with that for sure.

2 hours ago, membengal said:

I can’t tell if you are trolling or not, so will stop responding after this. The bengals may be insane enough to go corner at 21, but you are flat wrong to state that there are no centers, guards or tackles worthy of the 21 pick overall. On top of that, while getting Glenn was a great first step to fixing the line ( as was firing Alexander), there is more that needs to be done and if they punt their needs for further upgrades at line to the middle rounds they would be making a huge mistake. Again. The following players would be a great value at 21 AND fit a screaming need on this team: McGlinchy, Wynn (he’s my choice), Daniels, Hernandez and maybe Williams. If those five or some combo are available and they pass on them for yet another frickin’ corner (who would sit and only play special teams) I am going to lose my mind.

Lol.  The CB stuff is a joke.  

For the court record:  I don’t think the Bengals will draft a tackle at 21.  Mostly based on what I’ve read about the OT class.

I do think there are Centers and guards a plenty to draft at 21.  So much in fact that they might not do it at 21 because it’s a deep class supposedly.

McGlinchey, or Tackle IMO will not be the pick. 

Last year Cam Robinson is a better prospect and would be the top player this year was had at 34.  He struggled on a good performing line that couldn’t lift up the Jags offense.   That’s the Impact you are looking at. 

Garrett Bolles.  Last years top tackle taken (probably a reach) gave up 8.5 sacks with 10 holding calls.  Hurries and Hits a plenty but with horrible QBing

Ram check another prospect that could top this year’s class.  Played well for the Saints was had at 32.  With great QBing and offensive system. 

Lamp the top overall OL prospect last year was acquired at 38.  

All these players rank higher grade wise than ALL offensive tackles this year. 

Nelson is the premier OL prospect this year and towers over Lamp.   Daniels Wynn and Hernandez are very close to Lamp, Ramcheck, Cam from last year. 

For reference both Ced and Fischer in were slightly higher graded prospects than this year’s tackle class and about even with last year’s

Ced’s grade influenced by injury but also his inability to anchor. 

Fisher had a lot of mentions of his fit in Cincinnati’s scheme. 

Last year’s tackle class was not highly respected and it played to that during the season as a whole.

We know the story of Ced and Fish

I look at the performance of Cedric and Fisher through and Alexander prism.  An Alexander prism is a lens that turns everything you view through it into a Pacific Garbage Patch, a pile of faded plastic that floats around and clogs everything.  Because that's how that fuckwad coached.  Those centers, Trampled-check and Bodine, were his masterpieces.  Kind of like Beethoven's 3rd and his 5th symphonies.  

There is a distinct possibility that either or both Ced and Fisher could end up significantly better than they are right now.  

So I say go center with that first pick at 21.  They're hosting Ragnow from Arkansas today, maybe they're thinking about him.  

If you hurry up and click on cincy jungle link below you can read about the highest rated FBS lineman in this year's draft, and, obviously, the highest rated center, Frank Ragnow.  You can also clearly see that Cincy Jungle, halfway through the writeup, refers to him as, "fagnow."  Probably a typo, not that I find something like that funny.  

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/4/18/17252022/nfl-draft-2018-bengals-hosting-arkansas-center-frank-ragnow-visit

Yes, it's still there.  Yes, I think it's a typo because his first name is Frank and they simply used his last name.  Yes, I find something like that funny !!!
While that is not something that people find endearing in today's PC world, I do. 
It's sort of like fart jokes, they are always funny.

Can’t draft Fagnow!  Already has his bust nickname.

Anyhoo.  Even in the loaded interior lineman drafts of 2012 and 2013.  Even in years with Mangold and others.  Years with Faine and Steinbach.   It is very very rare to see 4 guards/centers go before 46. I don’t think 5 have gone since Marvin has been HC. 

I have no idea who they prefer but there’s 5/6 guys you could start day one at guard or center.  

Just don’t throw the TV remote if pick 21 isn’t a tackle or offensive lineman unless they pass on Nelson.  

Another way to look at it: Who Dey nation will stand up and applaud any first round pick addressing biggest need of offensive line.

Conventional names bantered about:

Nelson, McGlinchey, Williams, Daniels, Wynn, Hernandez, Price, and Fagnow.

No matter who, Who Dey nation will nod in agreement.   

At least 1 if not more will be available at 46.    

Bengals will grade out high in first two rounds.  They’ll play the BPA game @21. The initial reaction on Friday morning will be negative IF not O-line.     Then wildly applauded when they swoop in and grab a player we all would and national media would have agreed with if taken @21.   

With a mediocre tackle class last year there were 4 offensive lineman off the board before 46 in 2017.

With the tackle class this year, I don’t think 8 offensive lineman go off the board before 46 this year.

any of those 8 most  Bengal fans would grade an A or B if taken at 21.