The O-Line Roster

GapControl

Fisher has sucked admittedly I didn’t watch in detail like I have in past years but they Ced and Fish give up ground in the pocket too quickly.  Then Fisher is not the road grader you typically see in the NFL at RT.

Given Fisher’s versatility and play at FB, I’ve always ticketed him to RG but that hasn’t materialized.  

I think, hope,  that if you take away the threat of getting beating around the edge with Ced you would simultaneously help him against the bull rush.   I think he gets up to the second level very well in the run game.    So I think LG is his last chance.  Only a miracle transformation could make him viable at LT.  

On 3/28/2018 at 11:12 PM, AMPHAR said:

Fisher has sucked admittedly I didn’t watch in detail like I have in past years but they Ced and Fish give up ground in the pocket too quickly.  Then Fisher is not the road grader you typically see in the NFL at RT.

Given Fisher’s versatility and play at FB, I’ve always ticketed him to RG but that hasn’t materialized.  

I think, hope,  that if you take away the threat of getting beating around the edge with Ced you would simultaneously help him against the bull rush.   I think he gets up to the second level very well in the run game.    So I think LG is his last chance.  Only a miracle transformation could make him viable at LT.  

If someone takes LG, where does Boling go?  RG? C? RT?  Boling won’t be cut that’s for sure.

I haven't paid any attention to the Bengals in the last few months, but since taking a look I'm left thinking a few things about the o-line.
Coaching.  I love that Alexander is gone and Pollack is in.  That's a win for the o-line before anything else is thought of.
Next is that Bodine is gone.  Another win, but it leaves them needing to find a starter in the draft.  I don't think that's a real problem.
What to do on the right side of the line.  I think they actually have a player capable of handling RG, but will need to draft a new RT.

So, in the first round give me that shiny new RT.  Everyone busts the guys butt as a LT prospect, but I like the thought of McGlinchey at RT.
He became an o-line starter at Notre Dame in his sophomore season at RT was more than solid.

In the second round give me OC Billy Price out of Ohio State.
Seriously, I don't think any of the top 3 Center prospects would be bad at that pick.

When looking at RG, I feel they think they have someone on the roster already.
I hope Westerman gets some time with the starters, but you can't forget they signed Bobby Hart from the Giants.
I know he sucked last year, but he played RT all season and he's truly a OG player.  Let Pollack see what they have in him.
Outside of that, there's also Fisher, who should get at least one more look at.  For me, I think they have their RG.

Glenn, Boling, Price, Westerman, McGlinchey
Obviously Westerman isn't set in stone at RG, but I like the looks of that line MUCH more than the one from 2017.
With Pollack coaching them and Lazor having a full offseason as coordinator, the o-line could make a decent jump in 2018.

Oh yeah, F*CK YOU Marvin Lewis.  Go eat a dick !!!

Mike couldn’t make the owners’ meetings this last week because he had a hip replaced.  Katie went.

Nothing against Mike, he actually had some correct ideas about the league that, though scorned at the time, turned out to be prophetic.

But it is time for him to step completely away from operations.  This is just stupid.  He’s going through the travails of very advanced age, AND he’s supposed to somehow keep running this complex, ever-changing, business?  

I’m convinced we have Marvin again because the prospect of the coach search and interview process was just a bit too daunting for Mike.  It’s over dude.  

• Like 1

There’s no doubt Marvin existing as Bengal coach is a product of laziness on the part of the Brown family. 

Marvin owns from A to Z every football process.   

They are comfortable and Marvin’s comfortable. 

Oh the headaches and the risk of bringing a new guy in.  Makes my hips hurt too just thinking about it. 

• Like 1

I see that AMPHAR and others are mocking a RG to us and there appears to be a couple excellent prospects but I'm going to cast doubt on that for a different reason.  I think we learned with Zeitler that you aren't going to sign a guard to a massive 2nd contract so we end up grooming these players for another team.   A corner, (Jackson, Alexander, Ward)   Offensive Tackle (McGlinchey) ,  Defensive End  (Davenport) or even a Defensive Tackle (Payne) can warrant a big second contract and the ensuing  cap hit, but being a small market team pretty much dictates how we draft.  

Unless they see Billings making a major leap I can easily see them drafting a massive defensive tackle like the Da'Ron Payne kid.   I think they would strongly consider McGlinchey.    I really think that the center James Daniels is best pick.  We need a center and he has the mobility to get to the 2nd level and would solidify the line,  but that runs into the same contract problems as an OG. 

All of this depends on who might fall to us as well.  I think we go with BPA,  if a Derwin James or D Ward falls I don't see how you pass them.  The choice will be easy.  Who knows how we have them rated. 

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, ArmyBengal said:

I haven't paid any attention to the Bengals in the last few months, but since taking a look I'm left thinking a few things about the o-line.
Coaching.  I love that Alexander is gone and Pollack is in.  That's a win for the o-line before anything else is thought of.
Next is that Bodine is gone.  Another win, but it leaves them needing to find a starter in the draft.  I don't think that's a real problem.
What to do on the right side of the line.  I think they actually have a player capable of handling RG, but will need to draft a new RT.

So, in the first round give me that shiny new RT.  Everyone busts the guys butt as a LT prospect, but I like the thought of McGlinchey at RT.
He became an o-line starter at Notre Dame in his sophomore season at RT was more than solid.

In the second round give me OC Billy Price out of Ohio State.
Seriously, I don't think any of the top 3 Center prospects would be bad at that pick.

When looking at RG, I feel they think they have someone on the roster already.
I hope Westerman gets some time with the starters, but you can't forget they signed Bobby Hart from the Giants.
I know he sucked last year, but he played RT all season and he's truly a OG player.  Let Pollack see what they have in him.
Outside of that, there's also Fisher, who should get at least one more look at.  For me, I think they have their RG.

Glenn, Boling, Price, Westerman, McGlinchey
Obviously Westerman isn't set in stone at RG, but I like the looks of that line MUCH more than the one from 2017.
With Pollack coaching them and Lazor having a full offseason as coordinator, the o-line could make a decent jump in 2018.

Oh yeah, F*CK YOU Marvin Lewis.  Go eat a dick !!!

As of now I like Hopkins more than Westerman for the RG spot, but Hart may be the starter there

I'm really at a loss what to do with Fish and Og.  I'm not convinced either could transition inside.   Unless they make some kind of miracle leap over the summer I'm not sure they're anything more than backups if they even make the team.   I see us taking a center and OT in the first two picks, at least in the to 3 and more later. 

5 hours ago, yang said:

I'm really at a loss what to do with Fish and Og.  I'm not convinced either could transition inside.   Unless they make some kind of miracle leap over the summer I'm not sure they're anything more than backups if they even make the team.   I see us taking a center and OT in the first two picks, at least in the to 3 and more later. 

They'll probably put a uniform on them and run them out there, more in homage to their draft spot than anything else.  

I guess we need to see what the new OL coach can do with Oogie.

That said, if I had any money to bet - and I dont - I'd put it all on him being listed at the start of the season as a second or third string backup at both OT spots and at the end of the year he will be told dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

I remain a bit more optimistic in regards to Fisher but this is definitely the prove it or get out year as far as I am concerned

13 hours ago, Wraith said:

Ogbuehi is definitely not Guard material....if he has trouble against power moves at tackle that would be double trouble inside.

Different world.   Ced had problems with power moves because he had to protect the edge.   He could not switch from protecting the edge to anchor. 

As a guard the first big change is the reduction of one on one rushes.  He will be in more assist situations vs tackle.

The edge is more protected inside because a rusher is limited horizontally.

But he is longer and dealing with more powerful and compact rushers so they probably will be able to fork lift him back to the QB.

Atkins will probably walk him back into Dalton’s lap about 30 times the first day and that will be the end of it. 

There is the distinct possibility this guy isn’t an NFL lineman.   

I do think he could get to LBs on the second level in the run game. 

That’s pretty much how I see Ced too Amp,  I’ve watched every game he’s been in.  Whatever the NFL and other experts thought they could get out of him as a 1st round prospect, they’ve all been way off.  

He would have been a good third string emergency guy in the 7th round.  Just a guy to use for real players to practice against before games.

On 13/04/2018 at 5:21 PM, AMPHAR said:

There is the distinct possibility this guy isn’t an NFL lineman. 

But this guy is "freakin' awesome" !!  Paul Alexander said so. :confounded:

• Thanks 2