2018 season

Scottishbengal

Pick up, dust off, get ready to go again.

Whatever happens with the coaching carousel will all be revealed in the fullness of time. Whoever we take in the draft and whoever we lose/gain in free agency it will be what it will be.

But we do know who our opponents will be next season :-

Pittsburgh (13-3 AFCN champs, 2017 play offs)

Baltimore (9-7 second in AFCN)

Cleveland (0-16 fourth in AFCN)

Miami (6-10 third in AFCE)

Indianapolis (4-12 third in AFCS)

Kansas City (10-6 AFCW champs, 2017 play offs)

L.A. Chargers (9-7 second in AFCW)

Oakland (6-10 third in AFCW)

Denver (5-11 fourth in AFCW)

New Orleans (11-5 NFCS champs 2017 play offs)

Carolina (11-5 second NFCS 2017 play offs)

Atlanta (10-6 third NFCS 2017 play offs)

Tampa Bay (5-11 fourth NFCS)

We play 7 teams with 2017 winning records, and 5 teams that made the play offs. If the home/away schedule is good to us we could potentially have a fair shout next season, all things being equal.

8 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

0-16

I see somewhere between another 7-9 to and a 10-6 season which can bounce up or down a couple of games due to home/away fixtures, coaching changes(or not), draft, and free agency departures/arrivals.

• 3 weeks later...

HOME GAMES:

Pittsburgh (13-3), Baltimore (9-7), Cleveland (0-16), Denver (5-11),  Oakland (6-10),  New Orleans (11-5),  Tampa Bay (5-11), Miami (6-10)

AWAY GAMES:

Pittsburgh (13-3), Baltimore (9-7), Cleveland (0-16), Kansas City (10-6), L.A. Chargers (9-7), Atlanta (10-6), Carolina (11-5),  Indianapolis (4-12)

20 hours ago, kingwilly said:

On a business note, I found this interesting:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22212592/atlanta-falcons-drop-prices-make-more-money-mercedes-benz-stadium-concessions

Maybe Katie (pumpkin) can do a book report on this. 

This actually sounds like something Mike would do.  In spite of our completely legitimate lack of respect for some of the football strategic decisions Mike makes, he does care very much about the experience of the fans who come to games.  And I think he is mindful, to a degree, of the affordability of the game experience for regular families who want to attend a game.  

For instance, if you take your family to a game, your 9 year-old will love the dog riding monkeys flying all over the field at halftime, your wife will appreciate that you can sit in an alcohol-free family zone, and your 14 year-old son will like watching the Ben-Gal cheerleader who is also his 8th grade math teacher and who he doinked in the staff parking lot after the science fair that one weekend.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone heard of what day the schedule dates will be announced ???

We've been here before.  The team is having an optimistic offseason (in their eyes even Marvin staying is optimistic), the rest of the division is due to regress apart from Cleveland (a progression from whom isn't saying much of anything), and a decently talented core remains in place.  They'll win more games than they should.  Perhaps they'll even grab a wild card spot or fall into the division championship, lose to absolutely whoever in the first round, and enter another offseason feeling better than they should about the step forward.

• 1 month later...

I don't see an off-season thread, so will just bump this one. 

For what it's worth:

For those of you on the Willis train looking for a step forward from a good rookie year (that's me on that train anyway) - he had a really interesting interview with Dehner that was played on the Bengals Beat Podcast. One part of it that should catch people's attention - he's up to 280 pounds now, after playing around 260 last year, and says based on the measurements in camp, he's lost no speed...

Count me intrigued.

Jordan Willis has been mentioned numerous times in the writes up I've seen in the past month or so and the talk is that he will take MJ's place as the other DE starter.
Alongside Willis, I hope Carl Lawson gets a fairly large bump in playing time this season.  His 8.5 sacks in a limited role would seem to dictate a greater presence.
I hear people talk about MJ being a surprise cut, but he gave the team 5 sacks last season and would not save the team a large amount of money in that move.
I think Dunlap gets a new deal, but it's definitely MJ's last season.  The future of the DE position looks pretty good at this point and they added Hubbard this season.

Really hard to say at this point.  Nobody knows what the new DC likes to sub.

MJ had good success in the Zimmer/Pauly scheme of bumping a DE down to DT for interior pass rush last year. 

Gilberry/Hunt got extended roster life just because they could eat up pass protectors from the DT spot. MJ actually showed better  ability to get the passer to the ground over Hunt and Gilberry.

How will the new D-Coord sub along the line? 

Also how much of a green light will edge rushers get vs. Zimmer/Pauly G.   Do they still favor containment and batted passes over rushing from DE spot? 

MJ isn’t a dynamic edge pressure guy anymore. Was better at setting the edge and volleyball blocking. 

There's this to consider:
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/news-short/article-1/A-Closer-Look-Teryl-Austin-/05e28a27-940e-42cf-9076-1a3f08ceac8f

Austin’s defenses in Detroit were known for takeaways and not giving up big plays. They forced offenses to string together long drives to score.
Despite sustaining key injuries to the front four, the 2017 defense ranked third in the league with 32 takeaways and was tied for No. 2 with 13 fumble recoveries.

I have seen them talk about focusing on takeaways already to this point as well.

Housh and Kitna back in action:

We’ve got some more pro football to look forward to.  Out in San Diego for the AAF.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/01/san-diego-aaf-team-to-have-coaching-staff-filled-with-nfl-names/

—->

Jon Kitna will serve as the team’s offensive coordinator with former Rams and Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Larry Marmie serving as the team’s defensive coordinator. Hall of Fame offensive lineman Jackie Slater, T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Dre Bly will also coach on Martz’s staff.

<—

In regards to the team, outside of the O-line, I'm still left to wonder what to expect with the linebacking corps ??

Burfict- Missing first 4 games again.
Rey- Solid, but unspectacular.
Brown- Came from the Bills and have seen the same "solid, but unspectacular" comment.
Vigil- Hyped by coaches, but I haven't been floored by him.
Evans- Had a solid rookie season when given a chance, but who knows ??
Nickerson- Depth, special teams ??
Jefferson- Rookie.  Is he better than what we have ??
Worley- UDFA, but I always liked the kid.  Not sure he's much more than depth.
Joseph-  UDFA, Who ??
Lawson- He's not a LB, but due to how unspectacular the LB corps is, they can carry him there.

I like our front 4, but think if the defense struggles, it will be due to the lack of a playmaker from the LB's.
Those names are uninspiring at best.  Thoughts ??

18 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

In regards to the team, outside of the O-line, I'm still left to wonder what to expect with the linebacking corps ??

Burfict- Missing first 4 games again.
Rey- Solid, but unspectacular.
Brown- Came from the Bills and have seen the same "solid, but unspectacular" comment.
Vigil- Hyped by coaches, but I haven't been floored by him.
Evans- Had a solid rookie season when given a chance, but who knows ??
Nickerson- Depth, special teams ??
Jefferson- Rookie.  Is he better than what we have ??
Worley- UDFA, but I always liked the kid.  Not sure he's much more than depth.
Joseph-  UDFA, Who ??
Lawson- He's not a LB, but due to how unspectacular the LB corps is, they can carry him there.

I like our front 4, but think if the defense struggles, it will be due to the lack of a playmaker from the LB's.
Those names are uninspiring at best.  Thoughts ??

You couldn't say the LB group is anything more than average/fair overall, certainly not great and nowhere near stellar. Will they be "good enough" I really don't know. Divisional games could come down to keeping our O on the field and our D off of it, not convinced the Line has improved that significantly to allow that to happen

LB failure sticks out against the top conference teams like Patriots and Steelers.

Those two offenses excel at throwing the ball a little distance and getting big results.   They hammer the concept until it eventually “pops” a big play.  

Vigil is better than what most fans think about him although he’s not a standout.

I think you’ll have to factor in Safety into the conversation as well.  

It’s really the mix of the back 7 from down to down. Hopefully this draft will prove out they added speed and athleticism.  

I expect to see more nickel/dime packages with 3 safeties.  

I just hope we see some creativeness with the players and mixing things up from Austin.
It seems like they have to players to really change the pace of things during the game.
Austin is a big reason I'm intrigued in what we will see out of the defense.

Yep, I've seen a lot of write ups discussing more looks from their nickel defense.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the following offer from the Bengals, who appareantly know that I’m cheap.

1.  I pay them 200 bucks.

2.  They let me attend all 8 home games and both preseason games under the following circumstances:

a.  No consistent seat.  They assign me whatever seat they want before every game.

b.  No paper tickets.  They only send an e-ticket to my phone.

c.  Hardly any advance notice of seat.  They send the e-ticket to my phone a few hours before every game.

d.  Although not specified in the offer, I infer from the language, terms, etc., that I would not be considered a traditional season ticket holder, and therefore would not get the attendant benefits that come with that status.

I’m thinking about doing it.  Thoughts from season ticket holders and folks who attend a lot of games?  I’d likely miss 2 or 3 regular season games, and I’d likely skip both preseason games.

• Like 1