Potential Coaching Candidates

COB

3 hours ago, membengal said:

That indeed makes no sense. What I am hearing/reading is since Garrett came back, others had to go. Regardless, the Dallas line was monstrous under him in 2015 and 2016 and fell off this year only due to injury. Give me his scouting eye and voice in the draft room and his fresh eye on who is already in the room please and thank you.

also, since we often rightly complain at how slow the bengals move on hires, he was JUST let go in Dallas in last 24 hours. The bengals wasted no time getting him. This is a very nice development.  I know the default setting is suspicion and cynicism but this seems like a pretty great move. Going from Alexander to Polack??!! Awesome.

Right? You’d expect them to go with the guys they been thinking about last week but they were like nope Pollack is the guy and made it happen...Again even if it’s led by Marvin still like how our coaching staff is looking 

ps,Though I do question the DB coach not old enough to drive if that does happen

PA is a good coach.    Marvin had very good lines here for the most part.

Management and cheapness is what sunk the line and consequently the offense and probably any chance at playoffs. 

The new coach I believe has had or is used to having top centers.  I know Dallas has one of the leagues best and I believe Houston used too.   

So hopefully he can convince the organization to invest higher picks into the position OR find a hidden gem.  Maybe sign invest cap $$$$ in a vet, something like 6-8 mil a year.

Paul Alexander is known around the league as one of the best o-line coaches. 

The personnel sucks though they drafted poorly as of late, and they let there best o-lineman walk away in free agency! 

I don't care who he coach is without new personnel on that o-line they will fail again. So hopefully he can get this team to change its mind on how they view o-lineman and start to build again.

On 1/10/2018 at 6:50 PM, AMPHAR said:

potential ALL PRO player at each level of defense.

Atkins, Burfict, and WJ3

Burfict is unreliable at best and we’ve all seen great talent get wasted here. A big reason is the lack of talent around guys that are above average.

What other LB ??  What other CB ?? What other DT ??  Not saying we need a roster of all pros, but I’m sick of all the “talent” talk.

What other WR besides AJ ?? What o lineman at all ?? What RB ?? What TE ??

Im not saying there isn’t talent on this team, I’m just no longer buying into all the media talk for years that this team is just “loaded” with talent.

They need a better supporting cast around what talent they do have.

5 hours ago, Kazkal said:

PA is a good coach ?He had one great Oline with Levi steinbach bucket Bobbie and Willie? sense thenHe’s had a couple of okay lines only because Whitworth and Zeitler outside of that the guy has done nothing.

Yeah he is.  It’s nice to get some coaching turnover because things have gotten past stale but them going to the playoffs 6 out 7 seasons didn’t happen with crappy lines. 

The removed coaches with Marvin and Tobin still in the same roles are scapegoats  for the bad personnel decisions and horrible big game moments. 

These are nice hires, but come on in 2 years when they haven’t won a Super Bowl is it still going to be some random assistant coaches fault? 

Marvin had some of the best lines and defenses in the league and franchise history with PA and Zimmer.

Didn’t win shit.  The buck stops at the top with Brown and Blackburn but Marvin and Tobin own it too and they are “yes” men the owners are comfortable with. 

5 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Burfict is unreliable at best and we’ve all seen great talent get wasted here. A big reason is the lack of talent around guys that are above average.

What other LB ??  What other CB ?? What other DT ??  Not saying we need a roster of all pros, but I’m sick of all the “talent” talk.

What other WR besides AJ ?? What o lineman at all ?? What RB ?? What TE ??

Im not saying there isn’t talent on this team, I’m just no longer buying into all the media talk for years that this team is just “loaded” with talent.

They need a better supporting cast around what talent they do have.

Rattle off the free agents that have gotten plucked from this team. 

Marvin squandered the best teams this franchise has ever had.

They’ve won 6 and 7 games in the 2 years since 2015 with a bunch of 1 score wins but also losses with a horrible ass line. 

This team isn’t going to sink at all, IMO.

In my mind you have a proven choke artist at HC.  Then you have a self imposed hard cap.  

I would not be surprised at playoffs next year but I doubt they win anything with Marvin at the helm. 

They won 43 games in 4 seasons with 2 division titles.   It wasn’t hype.

In the after math of the high point they’ve lost significant pieces to other teams compounding the pre existing FA losses, again confirming talent was there.

Coming into this 2018 season the bengals will have the line to worry about no doubt. 

But you have Dalton,Green, Mixon, Gio, Atkins, Dunlap, Burfict, WJ3 on paper already. 

The bengals will push for the playoffs this season but they do have big questions about the offensive line.

In my mind, Bengal fans divert too much blame to Assistant coaches.   The ceiling of this team next 2 seasons will limited to Marvin Lewis and the Bengals self imposed hard cap.

Go ahead today and pick out the long time Bengal assistant that’s going to be the root of the reason they can’t move past the wild card the next 2 years. 

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Go ahead today and pick out the long time Bengal assistant that’s going to be the root of the reason they can’t move past the wild card the next 2 years. 

Just because the beams in a barn are rotten doesn't mean you shouldn't fix the bad roof sheeting.

And we had bad roof sheeting.  Years of Alexander acting like Guy-check could play sickened this team.  It emboldened defenses, they blitzed right up the center time and again.  It gave momentum away.  Then his draft pick at center struggled as well.  

I'm very excited to see what the new o-line coach and dc can do for this team.  That defense could do something special.  Talent?  Burfict, Iloka, Atkins, Dunlap, our young corners - we've got a defense loaded with talent.

If the line can be turned around, the offense can stay on the field, we quit leaving our defense on the field for 45 minutes a game.  And we start winning games!  

True, Marvin might choke it away in the playoffs, but he can't be here forever.  

There's a new feeling to the way they went out and got those two new coaches from Detroit and Dallas.  I'm very optimistic about this team compared to last off-season.

PS - Leveon Bell is sowing discord within the Steelers organization the week of a playoff game.  Delicious.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

They have simply lost me as a fan.

Come back into the fold Army.  

After the Chad/Ocho debacle, they changed how they did some things and they got a lot better.  

The same thing is happening this off-season, I believe.  Just buy into it, it's all part of Marvin's 35 year plan to win a Super Bowl at the precise moment the first shovel full of earth hits the lid of my casket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, COB said:

Just because the beams in a barn are rotten doesn't mean you shouldn't fix the bad roof sheeting.

And we had bad roof sheeting.  Years of Alexander acting like Guy-check could play sickened this team.  It emboldened defenses, they blitzed right up the center time and again.  It gave momentum away.  Then his draft pick at center struggled as well.  

I'm very excited to see what the new o-line coach and dc can do for this team.  That defense could do something special.  Talent?  Burfict, Iloka, Atkins, Dunlap, our young corners - we've got a defense loaded with talent.

If the line can be turned around, the offense can stay on the field, we quit leaving our defense on the field for 45 minutes a game.  And we start winning games!  

True, Marvin might choke it away in the playoffs, but he can't be here forever.  

There's a new feeling to the way they went out and got those two new coaches from Detroit and Dallas.  I'm very optimistic about this team compared to last off-season.

PS - Leveon Bell is sowing discord within the Steelers organization the week of a playoff game.  Delicious.

I like the new adds.   However every offensive coach removed is a scapegoat to cover for horrible roster management from Brown down to Marvin.

Retaining high level linemen didn’t fit the hard cap plans of management.  

They missed badly on 3 critical line picks.

This team has talent but Management plays lip service to winning a championship. 

How in the hell can an 80 year old owner say he wants a championship and let a franchise left tackle walk into free agency over a couple million dollars?

The coaches they swapped out aren’t anymore accomplished than the ones that left. 

Roof sheeting wasn’t bad.  You have rotten beams that need replacing.  

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

However every offensive coach removed is a scapegoat 

Totally disagree - this is the guy who was creaming his jeans with the Ooglie pick in the draft and Oogle turns out just as much of a liability as Newhouse was.

I don't believe Alexander developed any talent, Zeitler, Whit etc were good in spite of him not because of him IMHO.  Fisher cam out of college as a highly rated O-lineman and what did PA do to develop his talent ???

4 hours ago, COB said:

Come back into the fold Army.  

I just can't COB.  I can no longer buy into something I know is complete and utter bullshit.
It's like going back to the same shitty salesman to buy a car, but even after the 15th lemon, continue to believe the next car will be better.

The front office is not capable of doing what is needed to actually win a championship.  (Please see annual results since 1968).
Marvin Lewis was brought back for two more years despite all of his incompetency's, due to the fact they are familiar with him.

I could go further into my feelings about why I feel the way I do about the "talent" topic being discussing, but why ??
The "WHY?" is what's getting me.  This is no longer fun.  Reading people's thoughts on the "why" is also no longer fun.
Bottom-line is that no one here truly knows and am at a point as a fan that I need more before I can go back to that well again.

I'm no longer "die hard".  With the decision from the front office about Marvin, I've died and gone to "fair weathered".
I'll worry about them doing something when they actually do it.  Until then, I don't even wish them good luck.
Coaching changes, free agency (yeah right), and the draft ??  Nope, I don't care.  Sucks to feel this way, but it is what it is.

I'm just finished with them.

46 minutes ago, membengal said:

Alex Van Pelt hired as qb coach. He was the qb coach in Green Bay for Rodgers previously. Another great hire from my point of view. For those who are still fans, anyway.

Far better than Kitna!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Alex Van Pelt hired as qb coach. He was the qb coach in Green Bay for Rodgers previously. Another great hire from my point of view. For those who are still fans, anyway.

Agreed he’s fine by me also Daronte Jones for DB coach and not sure if posted yet but another Lions coach coming to help with the Dline overall Like how the new coaching staff looks...

Yep, they're infusing this staff with new blood from a bunch of different organizations.  They're finding guys who've had significant success.  Aaron Rogers' qb coach, the Cowboys' o-line was really good, they went and got that dude.  And Detroit's D was very good, they hired that guy.

Contrast all that with what they did when Zimmer left - just defaulted to Guenther, and what they did when Hue Jackson left - just defaulted to Zampese.

They're doing things differently right now.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Yeah he is.  It’s nice to get some coaching turnover because things have gotten past stale but them going to the playoffs 6 out 7 seasons didn’t happen with crappy lines. 

Never won a playoff game in 20 years either.  There are a lot of better o-line coaches out there.  Alexander's junk.