Potential Coaching Candidates

COB

I have no idea if Mike will even be involved.  At this point he should be most concerned with whether today is pudding cup or jello day.  But if he is involved, you know how he loves to hire from in the organization.

Jim Hazlett is on this staff.  And he was head coach of the mighty ORLANDO TUSKERS!  Hire him now.   

Yeah I can't wait for the next phase to start.   Prior to this weekend I thought the Lewis era was ending.  Now it looks for certain to end.

So let's get some coaching rumors going.

Hue probably if fired.

Vance Joesph if fired

i think Mike Shula would enter the discussion 

Jay Gruden IF fired.

I would like former Line coach or QB coach to be next coach.  

Todd Haley because they like x-Steelers.  He's been a good O coordinator for the Steelers 

Former Steeler line coach that went to Hc of Arizona, can't remember name

I actually hope they don't worry much about offense or defense when they go looking for a coach.  I've always thought that mindset is short-sighted and contributes to the flash-in-the-pan nature of head coaching tenures around the league.  Yes, the offense is the inferior side of the ball right now, but that can change in a minute and then we'll all be yearning for the defensive coach instead.  I want someone who is well-suited to get the most out of the talent already in place while also at least proving competent in future talent evaluation.  I want someone who isn't going to tolerate bullshit.

I want someone in the vein of Tom Coughlin.

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Yeah I can't wait for the next phase to start.   Prior to this weekend I thought the Lewis era was ending.  Now it looks for certain to end.

So let's get some coaching rumors going.

Hue probably if fired.

Vance Joesph if fired

i think Mike Shula would enter the discussion 

Jay Gruden IF fired.

I would like former Line coach or QB coach to be next coach.  

Todd Haley because they like x-Steelers.  He's been a good O coordinator for the Steelers 

Former Steeler line coach that went to Hc of Arizona, can't remember name

I don't want any of the recent CTEelers coordinators or coaches. 

Just look how bad they farked up the end of the game last night. No thanks. 

I'd look to Patriots, saints, or Carolina. There's more than enough talent in that bulk group to evaluate and match against criteria that gets set. 

I'm not inclned to consider current or former NCAA coaches. This next phase shouldn't also be a career experiment for a college coach. No, it must be someone who has a breadth and depth of experience winning NFL games, thank you very much. 

It also should not be someone on the staff. Fuck no to Paul Alexander. Were that to happen, I think that would have to be the end for me. Can't, won't do it. 

However, it's not going to matter who they target as the Brown family is still in charge and won't effect the obvious and necessary meaningful changes before signing up a new HC. This means they have zero idea, or motivation, how to overhaul the front office and football operations to be attractive for a coach from that ideal pool of those available or worth pursuing.  

In the end, the loyalists among us will observe an even worse ends to this season of decline, fresh off a backslide of an off-season when the organization pushed or let walk legit talent, hurting this team for seasons to come. But it's nothing we have not seen before. Coaching changes,  no improvement. The 90s exposed many of us to similar inanity but those years were not after an extended period of modest success and improvement. This sequence here is all the more irritating because of the recent potential the team showed, back in 2015.

And maybe that's why I just don't care that much. Just another reason to divest of some of the emotional equity so many of us put into following this team. More than a decade (almost one and a half for me) as part of this forum, exchanging football observations and opinions, all centered on the Bengals. 

Nope, what we will get is an entitled, arrogant, Marvin sucking the last bit of spirit from the team, as the window on several careers shuts just that much more. We will also get a clueless front office that has no self awareness about how out of step it is, mention names like Guenther, Alexander, an obligatory mention of Brian Kelly, David Shaw and of course a guy that the media will chatter about but has ZERO chance of coming, Urban Meyer. 

While a few years ago, I thought Hue would have been a great replacement, I cannot say I feel the same way.
Even though he would not constitute an inside hire, he wouldn't feel that far removed from anyone on this staff either in my opinion.

I also couldn't care less if the replacement if offensive of defensive minded.  I want someone who can motivate, influence, and SHOWS EMOTION.
I would rather see a guy like Munchak, Patricia, or Vrabel that have both played and coached as a part of a successful organization.

Again though, I'm still stuck on wondering if any of it matters when the Brown family still owns the team ??
Color me VERY skeptical about this mattering much.

Stale!  That's a common phrase to describe the final years of Marvin Lewis.

Despite some great teams.  The excitement never grew to match his early days.  IMO, constant prime time drubbings and playoff melt downs were the reason.

A big downside to Hue is his record in Cleveland.  It will be a big target especially if he gets off to a slow start.

He was here for a lot of the meltdowns.  It's a joke in Cleveland. 

If I'm the owner Hue probably isn't enough superstition from the Lewis days.

But the Bengals really never care about that crap anyway.    

I don't really care about emotion.  The lack of 23+ point games against teams not Cleveland is an issue I hope they resolve.

You have to attack on offense.  Marvin type Ex D Coordinators are going to default calling an offense to protect a defense. 

Sterotype, I know, but give me an offensive coach that looks for points all the time.  

Score a touchdown ??  Stone-faced Marvin
Throw a pick ??  Stone-faced Marvin
Recover a fumble ??  Stone-faced Marvin
Stupid penalty ??  Stone-faced Marvin
Win a game ??  Stone-faced Marvin
Get blown out ??  Stone-faced Marvin

"We have to execute better"

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I enjoy seeing coaches get fired up one way or another on the sideline.

I wouldn't say outward displays of emotion is necessary for success.  There's one guy less emotional than Marvin Lewis:  Bill Belichick.  Still, I think the argument could be made that someone with fire would be ideal under the specific circumstances reflecting the 2018 Cincinnati Bengals -- a franchise just kind of drifting through a period of mediocrity but still with a solid core of talent.  That's why I want a disciplinarian.  I think it's what this team needs most.

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

I wouldn't say outward displays of emotion is necessary for success.  There's one guy less emotional than Marvin Lewis:  Bill Belichick.  Still, I think the argument could be made that someone with fire would be ideal under the specific circumstances reflecting the 2018 Cincinnati Bengals -- a franchise just kind of drifting through a period of mediocrity but still with a solid core of talent.  That's why I want a disciplinarian.  I think it's what this team needs most.

Fair.  But if you look at the most successful coaches for this city in each sport who are they?

Football:  Forrest Gregg and Sam Wyche.  Style?

Baseball:  Sparky Anderson and Lou Pinnella.  Style?

Basketball:  Bob Huggins.  Style?

This town loves and embraces passionate coaches.  It just does.  It's a better fit for Cincinnati.  Because it is.

Agree that passion isn't "necessary" for success, but I'm only speaking for myself in what I would like to see as a fan.
Of course I would want that passion to translate to success on and off the field, but passion is needed in my opinion.
I like Zimmer's hardline approach and you can see he has a passion for the game.

That being said, how much influence does anyone think old stone face has over these young millionaires ??
From what we've seen, his approach just hasn't translated.

Do your job
Pound the rock
Run on your own gas

It's old and no saying is going to turn this current team around this time.
Hell, we've been making fun of that shit for a decade.  Think the players view it differently ??
Again, color me skeptical.

19 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I saw Matt Patricia from the Pats mentioned but can’t see him wanting to leave that organization for this one no matter the price.

If I’m talking names that intrigue me, which would equal no chance, let me add Mike Vrabel from the Texans.

Vrabel almost made it into my screed. I'd like him to get a couple more seasons under his belt running an elite D but that' me. 

No to any Pittsburgh jerk offs. Nope. Keep it. 

10 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Saints OC is a good mention because he has proven to work in 2 talented backs within the same Drive.

Shocker!  That task was seemingly impossible here in Cincinnati. 

If they do not even seek to speak with a guy like him, you will know this ownership is unsalvageable.