Andy Dalton's contract for 2018 and beyond

cincyhokie

If they identify a franchise qb, they have to take him.  They can trade or FA a good tackle.  If the qbs aren't franchise guys, forget it.  We've got Andy on our terms for as long as we want him.  True he chokes in big games, but with a new coach and hopefully a whole new system, who thinks we're going to be in any big games next year?

I agree that if they find themselves in a position to draft a QB viewed as "franchise" in the top 10, you have to do that.
I've asked before in, "how often will they find themselves there?".

The thing with that scenario in knowing you have glaring o-line concerns is targeting your 2nd round pick or making a bold move to get high enough to get your guy.
That and making a push (see spending money, lmao) to get a free agent to fill a spot.
If they could simply upgrade two o-line positions this year, it would be a win.  Then keep plugging away the following year.
God forbid they actually get an o-line coach that could develop late round picks.

I am all in on a QB in the first round.

Why?

1.  They will have a shot at one of the top 4 QB's.  Namely Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield.  Although, my favorite is Sam Darnold.

Technically, if the Bengals go 5-11 and draft 8th overall, they'd have the choice of the top 3 QBs.  However, there is a likely chance that the Colts, 49er's, Bears, or Bucs trade down to a team that trades up to take a QB.  Teams like the Jets, Cardinals, and Bills could all be looking to get into the top 10.  And we know how MB likes to sit on his hands and "let the draft come to him".

2.  If this team is going to get over the hump who do they have to beat?  The Steelers and Patriots.  What do those 2 teams have in common as a main reason they are consistent SB contenders?  Elite QB play.  (Yes, yes, I know they have better coaching)

3.  Dalton is not a strong leader.   Can he be counted on to win the big game?  Mentions of other QBs that are game managers are all QBs that have sporadic success depending on who's around them.  Look at Flacco.  If the Ravens had a top QB, they'd be right up there with the Steelers.   Alex Smith?  Tyrod Taylor, Jay Cutler?  Heck, Carson Palmer?  These guys can't even make a SB run and they're arguably much better than Dalton.

With the way the Bengals manage the roster and handle FA, wouldn't a star QB be a good idea to maintain success?

4.  New HC, new leadership.  Make the complete overhaul with a new QB.

5.  Will the Bengals be able to take another top QB in the future?  Drafting in the top 10 isn't a gimme, even with the Bengals.  This talent rich QB class makes it even more pressing they take a chance at getting a difference maker.

Add Mason Rudolph to my list.

I hadn't checked out his highlights but had heard that he played in a soft defense league.  

However, he has the arm and can make contested throws.  On top of it, he's mature, and he's definitely a leader.

If he slips down the first round and the Steelers take him, I'll be beyond pissed.

8 hours ago, COB said:

I can just see the Bengals playing their way out of a high draft pick, the top 4 guys go before they pick, and they say screw it we've got Andy on a team friendly deal.  They pick another corner or receiver in round 1 and my head explodes.

I think they lose Sunday and pick 9th or 10th.

Agreed, though.  Top pick has to be OL or QB.

I dont know that we will necessarily find a star qb in a single pick. It is far more likely we'll draft someone who turns out to be no better than Andy or AJ.

But I get it - if we were able to pick up a future star qb, it would help us turn things around more quickly.

That said, I remain a fan of having a strong OLine first, and then adding the other pieces - including (hopefully) the star qb - afterwards

I would take Lamar Jackson over any lineman.   Sure he could be a bust but he looks like a superstar.

However, the chances of him being in the range of the Bengals is slim to none. 

So hopefully the Texas and Notre Dame linemen projected top half right now solidify their draft projection.  

11 hours ago, TJJackson said:

I dont know that we will necessarily find a star qb in a single pick. It is far more likely we'll draft someone who turns out to be no better than Andy or AJ.

But I get it - if we were able to pick up a future star qb, it would help us turn things around more quickly.

That said, I remain a fan of having a strong OLine first, and then adding the other pieces - including (hopefully) the star qb - afterwards

I don’t disagree.  But why can’t they do both?  Get the star QB and build the OL?  Getting a solid OL doesn’t have to require a top 10 pick.  Getting a star QB just might require that high pick.  

• Like 2

So I checked into it a little closer and here's what I came up with.

Out of the 32 teams in the league, 11 have starting QB's that were NOT drafted in the 1st round.
Of those 11, five are 2nd rounders, two are 3rd rounders, two are 4th rounders and two are 6th rounders.

Looking at this season to this point, each of the teams slotted to make the playoffs have 1st round QB except the Pats (Brady) and Saints (Brees).
I suppose you could look at that stat and it would change from one year to the next, but when to take a QB is certainly trending towards the top if you want above level play at the position.
I do not know what that would look like when considering O-linemen, but I suspect while having many at the top, there would be a greater number lower than the first round.

Does that mean we absolutely have to take one or the other in 2018 ??  Not necessarily, but I've asked many times, how often should you expect to have a top 10 pick ??
Down season and all, we are not the Browns who can expect that every season.
I'm of the line of thought that if they feel there is an above level QB when they pick, go that route.  If not, grab the top rated OT.

Anything else would probably result in more disgust.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

So I checked into it a little closer and here's what I came up with.

Out of the 32 teams in the league, 11 have starting QB's that were NOT drafted in the 1st round.
Of those 11, five are 2nd rounders, two are 3rd rounders, two are 4th rounders and two are 6th rounders.

Looking at this season to this point, each of the teams slotted to make the playoffs have 1st round QB except the Pats (Brady) and Saints (Brees).
I suppose you could look at that stat and it would change from one year to the next, but when to take a QB is certainly trending towards the top if you want above level play at the position.
I do not know what that would look like when considering O-linemen, but I suspect while having many at the top, there would be a greater number lower than the first round.

Does that mean we absolutely have to take one or the other in 2018 ??  Not necessarily, but I've asked many times, how often should you expect to have a top 10 pick ??
Down season and all, we are not the Browns who can expect that every season.
I'm of the line of thought that if they feel there is an above level QB when they pick, go that route.  If not, grab the top rated OT.

Anything else would probably result in more disgust.

Nailed it.

On 12/27/2017 at 7:13 PM, cincyhokie said:

Add Mason Rudolph to my list.

I hadn't checked out his highlights but had heard that he played in a soft defense league.  

However, he has the arm and can make contested throws.  On top of it, he's mature, and he's definitely a leader.

If he slips down the first round and the Steelers take him, I'll be beyond pissed.

I'm down with Rudolph. He's got it. 

It all depends on if AJ is back next season.  If not we need a QB to get ready.  If he is, everyone knows we need OL help, trade down and get the line figured out.  We certainly don't need more WR's and I'm pretty happy with Kroft and Uzamoh, even if Eifert cant play ever again.

RB's seem like a late pick for depth.

So I would like to see OL early and often, with some BPA sprinkled in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...