Andy Dalton's contract for 2018 and beyond

cincyhokie

The Bengals are going to draft in the top 10 and will get a crack at one of the top 4 QB's.

You take a QB here this year with the talent level being what it is and Dalton being what he is.

Shore up the O-line in the draft and FA.  Fire Alexander.

Problem solved.

Josh Rosen

Lamar Jackson

Sam Darnold

Josh Allen

Baker Mayfield

Mason Rudolph

11 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

The Bengals are going to draft in the top 10 and will get a crack at one of the top 4 QB's.

You take a QB here this year with the talent level being what it is and Dalton being what he is.

Shore up the O-line in the draft and FA.  Fire Alexander.

Problem solved.

IMHO if Marvin is still here, the problem isn't solved.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2017 at 9:22 AM, TJJackson said:

QBs well below the caliber of Dalton have won Superbowls. Control the line of scrimmage, win games. That is all

True, but also consider this.

Of those "game manager" type QB's that have won the Superbowl...how many of them went on to having continued success?  

Trent Difler?

Jeff Hostetler?

Doug Williams?

That dude that played for Tampa Bay?

I can't think of one that wasn't a part of a "lightening in a bottle" type season.  This league is ruled by elite QBs.  And when you have the anomaly of a fringe QB that wins the SB, the rest of their time with the team is extremely varied due to a ton of circumstances.

The best chance to be a perennial winner and win the SB is when a team has a top caliber QB.

6 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

True, but also consider this.

Of those "game manager" type QB's that have won the Superbowl...how many of them went on to having continued success?  

Trent Difler?

Jeff Hostetler?

Doug Williams?

That dude that played for Tampa Bay?  Brad Johnson??

I can't think of one that wasn't a part of a "lightening in a bottle" type season.  This league is ruled by elite QBs.  And when you have the anomaly of a fringe QB that wins the SB, the rest of their time with the team is extremely varied due to a ton of circumstances.

The best chance to be a perennial winner and win the SB is when a team has a top caliber QB.

Even a top caliber QB would struggle behind this O-line, an upgrade needs to be made across the board and I just can't see the Bengals sweeping that much clean with any type of broom.

Take an elite QB = struggle behind the Oline

Improve the Oline = you still have Dalton

Improve the Oline AND take an elite QB = stuff of dreams, ain't gonna happen in reality

Drafting a QB doesn't mean sweeping Dalton out immediately.

Based on how they handle first and second rounders, the Status of Dalton isn't even a factor.

Depending the outcome of the draft evaluation process it would be hard to pass a QB given the importance and the opportunity to sit them and develop. 

3 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

it would be hard to pass a QB given the importance and the opportunity to sit them and develop. 

Is that not the situation that McCarron is currently in ?? 

4 hours ago, Scottishbengal said:

Even a top caliber QB would struggle behind this O-line, an upgrade needs to be made across the board and I just can't see the Bengals sweeping that much clean with any type of broom.

Take an elite QB = struggle behind the Oline

Improve the Oline = you still have Dalton

Improve the Oline AND take an elite QB = stuff of dreams, ain't gonna happen in reality

There are other ways to improve the O-line aside from taking a tackle in the first round.

Hell, this O-line is so bad that it won't take much to make it much better.  Add some help in FA, which they have done in the past, draft well for the O-line in the upper rounds.

You can't pass on a QB in the top 10 if it's a fit.  Draft a QB and let Dalton finish out a couple of more years behind an improved O-line. 

They're doing this in KC right now.

Great o-lines are not built in one single draft and are not products of all first round picks.
Dallas has spent first round picks on their line, but that took some time.
They got lucky in grabbing Dak and having him turn into what he has.

How many times does an organization have an opportunity to draft a top tier QB without giving up picks to get them ??
Taking a QB would not surprise me with a new coach coming in and I agree that it doesn't mean Dalton is gone in 2018.

Over the 2018 and 2019 drafts, they could draft at least 2 first or second round o-linemen.
Outside of that, the LB spot continues to be one of the most glaring and overlooked needs of this team.

That being said, if there are no other coaching changes and Mike Brown continues being Mike Brown, it won't matter.
I'm still in "Fuck the Bengals" mode.

2 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

There are other ways to improve the O-line aside from taking a tackle in the first round.

Hell, this O-line is so bad that it won't take much to make it much better.  Add some help in FA, which they have done in the past, draft well for the O-line in the upper rounds.

You can't pass on a QB in the top 10 if it's a fit.  Draft a QB and let Dalton finish out a couple of more years behind an improved O-line. 

They're doing this in KC right now.

QB is important.   Franchise tackle is right there.

i could definitely entertain both positions in the top 10.   Just a matter of a prospect being there

4 hours ago, COB said:

Most of the assistants are gone as well, per Rappaport at NFL network.  I wonder if there are any stray Shulas sitting around unused anywhere.  

Alexander will demand to be kept and keep his "Assistant Head Coach" title, since no one else will hire him.  I wonder how much that bullshit rubs other coaches the wrong way, especially when he blows draft pick after draft pick and the offense is literally the worst in the entire league, and the running game hasn't been good since Dillon was here.

IF they want to keep that B.S. up, they'll have to hire another desperate loser HC candidate who would actually take the job here. 

I am only really interested right now, to see if the coaching exodus and resulting player unhappiness results in Mike Brown finally giving-up his stupid, silly, tired charade of meddling in personnel decisions.