Andy Dalton's contract for 2018 and beyond

cincyhokie

https://overthecap.com/player/andy-dalton/160

It's not impossible that the Bengals could opt out of Dalton's contract for 2018.  Why?  Aside from the obvious reasons, the contract itself is set up in a way that would allow the Bengals a minor hit to get out of it.

Seeing how the Bengals are on their way to a 4-12 or 5-11 season and a high draft pick, the upcoming 2018 draft might allow them to look at getting a QB.

We all know how much MB loves to draft QB's.

Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Zero chance, imo.  But there does seem to be a good class of QBs this year. 

I don't know about zero chance.  They did structure the contract this way for a reason.  

Also consider there will probably be a new HC.  That combination might have them looking at a QB.  More likely they draft a QB in the 2-3 round and keep Dalton.  

His issues are being covered-up by the o-line this year, which benefits him.  I can see them keeping him around for another year (even a 2.4 mil hit or whatever it is if they let him go, is a lot of dough for MB to give-up).  I believe they're off the hook after next year for him completely, which is when I think it's more likely at this point - I suspect this team isn't going to "turn it around" any time soon, at least not in terms of being a real playoff team.  But Dalton brings at least some sense of stability and competitive play with him, and MB is all about that when it comes to selling tickets.

• Thanks 1

Let’s imagine the impossible.  Ogbuehi becomes average and Moobs resigns anchoring down RT (he’s only 30).  Fisher may never play again but he wasn’t playing well, anyway.

you still have to find a center and take your pick but either another LT within the first three rounds (in case Ogbuehi gets injured let’s say) or another interior player at RG.  Hell, writing this, what’s to say Moobs doesn’t get injured?  You need to consider a young talent at RT, too.  Eric Winston isn’t the answer.

personally, I think Ogbuehi is the biggest draft bust since Odell Thurman. 

7 hours ago, GapControl said:

To get back on topic, there’s no one who can play with this line including Dalton. Doesn’t matter if you are drafting a new guy or promoting McCarron.  just going to get the poor bastard Klinglerized.

Yes I'll admit, as much as I don't like Dalton, it's sort of pointless to do anything with the offense if it doesn't involve replacing 2-3 o-lineman and, preferably, hiring a new o-line coach that can also implement some better run-blocking schemes and knows how to develop talent better.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

I don't know about zero chance.  They did structure the contract this way for a reason.  

Also consider there will probably be a new HC.  That combination might have them looking at a QB.  More likely they draft a QB in the 2-3 round and keep Dalton.  

You are correct but Andy Dalton has performed over that contract.       I am a big Dalton fan but realize he is limited but it would be very hard to find a starting QB as good as he is for 16-18 mil in cap room.  Maybe AJ, but they just tried to trade him so that tells you who they'd perfer at QB. 

He's rated 88 and hasn't played perfectly but behind that line with zero running game is a very big and legitimate excuse for him and the offensive struggles.   No way the Front Office jumps into QB problems by removing Dalton when it's them that fucked it up royalty by failing to tag Whitworth and flat out missing on 3 o-line draft picks.    Doing that would enter the cycle of the 90s.   

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

sounds like Dalton doesnt plan on sticking around despite being under contract for a while yet

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/11/10/andy-dalton-sells-cincinnati-home-photos.html

He's probably upgrading.   He's had addition of money and kids in the past few years.   That house is extremely modest for a NFL QB that was 2nd rounder and then got an extension.

I suppose you could argue both ways on this one.
The o-line is clearly the larger of the concerns when considering the QB play of Dalton.
That being said, the Bengals are currently looking at another top 10 pick.  How many times do they plan on being there for a shot at a top end QB ??

I only say that because you know this team isn't trading up in the first to make that happen.

30 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I suppose you could argue both ways on this one.
The o-line is clearly the larger of the concerns when considering the QB play of Dalton.
That being said, the Bengals are currently looking at another top 10 pick.  How many times do they plan on being there for a shot at a top end QB ??

I only say that because you know this team isn't trading up in the first to make that happen.

It'd be a little dicey because taking a QB generates 100X more headlines  than any other spot.    But Dalton has 3 years left after this one and a First round QB gives you 4 years AND a option year. 

Seems like typical scenario for the Bengals.   Draft what they think is the best talent and don't play them at all.   Perfect. 

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

He's probably upgrading.   He's had addition of money and kids in the past few years.   That house is extremely modest for a NFL QB that was 2nd rounder and then got an extension.

I remember when Carson Palmer sold his house....and what happened not too long afterwards.  Until Dalton comments on his relocation, or someone does, I wouldn't dismiss it as nothing just yet.

I'm guessing the bored local media will starting asking questions about it though, and we'll hear if it's nothing or something.  If he's moving out of town - that's probably a bigger deal than you might think.

Marvin bought his retirement house several years back.  It's in Arizona, and I recall the articles about it - Marvin has an awesome place to move when he's done.  Word is he mentally and psychologically moved in over two seasons ago.  His body is still here fucking up the Bengals.  Zombie Marvin.

Yeah I remember thinking that when Marvin came he would have us the top 5 in D every year and the O would somehow be just good enough for the championship. 

So close in 2005 but I had it backwards.  The D sucked back then but could create turnovers for some bizarre reason. Probably because they we are missing assignments and god knows so they just tried to get the ball no matter what  and hit the guy as hard as possible too.

but a terrible defense overall.

Its been 12 years about and I can see the defense has been the rock of this team for the last few years along with A.J. Green and Gio.

Andys been good enough.  Sometimes great.  After his 4th year, I was done with him but he’s turned it around since then.

• 4 weeks later...

I just don't think that long term this team is sold on Andy.

I know that might sound crazy, but I don't.  

This team will draft around #6-#8 in the draft and if one of their top QB's is there, I think they pull the trigger.  Have him sit behind Dalton for a year or 2, and then let him take over.

Sam Darnold.  Throwing down the gauntlet right now.  If they take a QB, this is who I want.

If they actually fire Marvin, along with the other coaches that need to be gone (yeah i'm looking at you Alexander), and hire from outside the organization, I could see them wanting to have say over the roster and be able to move forward with "their guys".  Thing is, while I don't think Dalton will take us to the Super Bowl, he's not the most glaring weak spot on this roster (yeah i'm looking at you o-line).

There are simply so many different directions this team could move forward with, but outside of maybe Marvin leaving, I'm not expecting much.
An internal hire for the coaching position and then status quo from there.

Like I said, my time with this team is limited.

If they keep Alexander in particular, I don't expect any different results, his influence is only surpassed by Marvin and Mike.  You've still got coaches doing too much scouting, and I'm sure MB has too much say in the top picks.  I don't know how Tobin stands it.

I'd be fine with Marvin in a player personnel role like Lippincott was (who has never been replaced as far as I know), as long as Alexander is absent.  It would be nice if Mike Brown did not meddle in or influence drafting/evaluation at all.  But he won't do that either I'm guessing.  So I don't expect much.