2018 is now starting at the midpoint of the 2017 season

TJJackson

49 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Orlando Brown*, OT, Oklahoma Height: 6-8. Weight: 360. Projected 40 Time: 5.45. Proje

I remember his dad so well.  He died some years back but had a really interesting career.

1.  Was the first Fatburger franchisee.

2.  Took that penalty flag to the eye that put him out of football for 3 seasons.

3.  Sued the NFL and settled for something like 20 million, then came back and played for several more years.

4.  Was one of only two players who played for both iterations of the Browns.  He played for Modell, moved to Baltimore, then later signed with and played for the expansion Browns.

5.  Odd fact, once with the Ravens in '03 their lines were all beat up, so Brown started and played one game as offensive tackle and defensive tackle.  Playing both ways in the trenches in the NFL.  Unheard of these days.

6.  He was undrafted.

I wouldn’t take a guard that high.  They’ve proven that they are not willing to resign if the player works out.

Also  they had Z with Ced at RT.   Weakness on the edge overrides good guard play.  

They also have options for interior and hopefully they also invest FA dollars inside

Right or Left tackle is of no concern. We have Seen first hand 2 seasons in a row that weakness in either can disrupt an offense. 

I would start with trying to upgrade edge protection.   I wouldn’t be against taking 2 again.

I also wouldn’t pass up Lamar Jackson at this point either

Here's an extremely early pre-senior bowl mock from a guy I follow on twitter who lives this stuff. Take with usual grains of salt etc and only offering it here because it might be of interest:

https://www.ndtscouting.com/tuls-2018-nfl-mock-draft-pre-senior-bowl-edition/

Fwiw, he doesn't have McGlinchy in first round. I am guessing the senior Bowl and combine will help people figure out how they feel about McGlinchy, but I am guessing the tape from this year isn't helping him in terms of first round chatter from what I have read a bunch of places.

I liked reading that mock draft.  It would irk me to see use that pick for anything but the o-line.  Even if it is trading down and getting a tackle late in the 1st if none of the available guys warrants a number 12 pick.  

We had just a gaping hole in our team this year.  Seems like it should be addressed in an aggressive manner.

I've read that this draft is OL talent heavy.  If that's the case, why corner your choices with HAVING to draft an OL.  

There's FA and the later rounds.  If there's a steal at LB or S or DT, pull the trigger.  This team has more holes in it than the OL.

One of the holes left already.  Paul "I earned tenure" Alexander.  

fwiw (I don't have insider) -  Schefter tweeted a screen shot of Kiper's 1.0 mock - he mocked the Bengals to picking Tremain Edmunds, LB, Va Tech. He had Nelson off his mock at #7 overall (1st lineman taken) and McGlinchy as first OT off the board at 11. He had 3 other tackles in his mock, Brian O'Neill at 16, Kolten Miller at 30 and Conner Williams at 31. He didn't have Brown in his first round mock 1. He gave the Browns Josh Allen at #1 overall...

Yup. 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/01/19/cincinnati-bengals-owner-mike-brown-why-marvin-lewis-back-head-coach/1048725001/

Marvin literally saved his job with the Detroit and Baltimore wins. Straight from Mike Brown.

Wait for it.....wait for it!

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Alexander-calls-last-season-his-most-rewarding/8138a30f-dd80-4150-8a4a-606a6c7579f6

“Everyone is going to hammer Cedric and Fisher but a year from, now you’ll say, ‘Paul was right. These guys are good,’” Alexander said Tuesday as he drove around Dallas looking for a place to live for the first time in 24 years.

“Remember when Tennessee wanted to get rid of Taylor Lewan and (Eric) Fisher was terrible for Kansas City and (Jake) Matthews wasn’t playing well for Atlanta? These guys are good players now. It doesn’t happen overnight.  Sometimes it does. Willie (Anderson) was pretty good young. (Andrew Whitworth) was pretty good young. Most guys were not that way.”

Alexander says his departure from the Bengals as the NFL’s longest-tenured offensive line coach for 23 straight seasons with one club was “mutual.” After the season head coach Marvin Lewis motioned Alexander into his office with, “Let’s talk for a minute,” and Alexander said, ‘Let me talk first.”

“I told him I wasn’t coming back,” said Alexander, who said he thought Lewis was thinking along the same lines. “My kids are in college, I’d been in the same place for a long time. I loved my time here, but my wife and I wanted a little adventure at the end of our lives and we wanted to go explore. And this was the best year to do it. There were a lot of jobs open. I got a little nervous, but you’ve got to have a little confidence yourself and I ended up getting the best one out there.”

• Like 1

Yeah, Paul, maybe they'll be good players in a year or two.  

It's just that it took them 5 years to get there at the cost of team suffering from the lack of line play.

The fact that a coach, coaches, or the organization in general can allow this type of systemic approach to exist is indeed...staggering.

It's unchecked ego at it's finest.  None of this was about Ced or Fisher or Bodine.  It was about Paul A. and his massive ego.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, COB said:

I guess he’s seriously saying that a legitimate way to develop linemen is accept that they suck for 3 years.  Not many other coaches will agree with him.

His learning curve given to linemen is most lenient it appears.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2018 at 4:10 PM, membengal said:

Yup. 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/01/19/cincinnati-bengals-owner-mike-brown-why-marvin-lewis-back-head-coach/1048725001/

Marvin literally saved his job with the Detroit and Baltimore wins. Straight from Mike Brown.

I really don’t believe that.  I think those victories gave something  to rationalize the easy path for Mike.

IMO,  the guy doesn’t want to do the hard work to get the organization to the next level and will just continue to look at runs to the Super Bowl as decided by fate and circumstance. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, membengal said:

That was literally the words from his mouth.

I know.  Just saying I don’t buy it. Despite what he says.

They half ass everything around there.    

IMO,  when faced with changing Marvin and all the work that would involve afterward AND not having a familiar face available like Vance, Hue or Jay then Marvin became the easy road.  

IMO,  Mike doesn’t want to deal with a new coach wanting to do things his own way and having to trained on the “Bengal way” 

If your thesis is he would have been back, no matter what the outcome against Detroit and Baltimore, I disagree. 

I think Detroit and Baltimore wins gave Brown the cover he needed to sell continuity as the reason to bring Marvin back.  I think that because that is what Mike Brown literally said. 

You’re both right.  Mike’s just not up to his job anymore.  Interviewing coaches, choosing one, negotiating a contract, integrating the new coaches’ methods into the existing culture, having to jettison the players the new coach wants gone, the list of tasks goes on and on.

Mike’s refusal to hire a GM is biting him in the ass harder than ever right now.  There’s no way he could muster the energy and drive to do the job properly.

Does anyone in here really believe Mike will keep up the travel schedule other GMs will endure through the next few months?  League meetings, Senior Bowl week, home-campus workouts for high round guys, the combine, etc.?

No way.  Mike will meander into his office at PBS and pat himself on the back for even doing that. After all, we should all just be grateful to even have a team, thanks to Mike turning down hundreds of millions he could have collected moving to another city (his words, not mine).

• Like 1