2018 is now starting at the midpoint of the 2017 season

TJJackson

5 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Time to start having Redman and Westerman practice snapping the ball.

Please.

Yes, I still want a center no later than R3 (and preferably sooner) but we need a vet player ready to go by the beginning of the season. Have them work with Buckethead unofficially, with Barkley receiving the snaps so we get some use out of him.

This what I see on Spotrac ->

Lafell can be cut with no dead money and get us 4 mill on the cap.

Pacman is not back yet.

Winston is not back yet. I hope never.

TJ Johnson and even OByMe can but cut with little dead money... not that MB would... just sayin

Quite a few guys without a dead money hit this year. There is still a way to bring in better OL guys and LBs through trade or late cuts etc.  Got a lot of draft pick capital too.

They can do it if they can make moves during the draft to get someone to replace Lafell for example.

Got to have a C, LT, G and LB in this draft / FA offseason !!!!!!!!!!

Only problem I have with drafting Center or guard in first or second round.

They drafted two quality guards and lost both to FA.   They grabbed a quality guard in FA and extended him.

I don’t know if their thinking has changed.  Don’t give me this bullshit 4/5 years from now that you aren’t paying a home grown talent market value because it’s over what you value the position, yet you used a 1st/2nd round pick on it AND signed former 2nd guard in FA.  

The TV dollars are unreal.  It’s capped.  Grow the fuck up and starting scrapping your 80s guide to the NFL. 

PRAISE JEEBUS!

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/03/19/buffalo-bills-sign-cincinnati-bengals-center-russell-bodine/420189002/

I dont think we need a OG - we are swimming in OGs.

I want them to draft two OCs - one quite early, another in the mid rounds - and see if one sticks

They still need a couple dudes to progress on the o-line to franchise status.

Glenn at one point looked to be on his way with the Bulls then injured.

Boling is always going to be solid until his body gives way but never pro bowl or top tier.

Fisher and Ced suck until further notice.  

Right now I’d favor a RT in round 1 if it can be had and then hope Fisher/Ced can find new life as a guard. 

12 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Amphar: who is the 2nd round guard we signed in FA? If you're talkin Bobbie Williams thats going back a decade and a half there.....

12 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Bobbie Williams was a former 2nd rounder.

Yeah I was scratching my head for a second but of course Bobby Williams.  There was also a year the Bengals signed a G starter from the Panthers named Travelle Wharton who was a 3rd rounder from Cal.

I think it was Marvin’s first year.  Not sure. 

Those are two moves that have really stuck with me over the years coz I didn’t expect them much like Glenn this year will.

and my God I didn’t think big Bobby Williams was a decade and a half ago but yeah wow

My overall point I was trying to put forth with Bobbie, Stein, and Zeitler was.....  when they hit Free Agency it’s an attitude that guards are a dime a dozen yet the most consistent quality guards they’ve had under Lewis have come at least the 2nd round aside from Boling.

I think invest 1st round picks into interior line is good but don’t balk at the market value price when they earn it.    Especially when all 3 division rivals have invested in guard.

i guess I’m still annoyed at the Zeitler and Whit situations from last year that basically destroyed the offense and season from the get go.

Pressure off the edge right or left as we’ve seen the past two years is a bigger killer than crappy ass center.

Reason being is that many times in pass pro the Center is uncovered and assisting or a guard is unaccounted for and assisting.   

Easier to clog the middle in pass pro.

I hope for a tackle over G or C but really they need to add a high level player anywhere to n that line. 

• 3 weeks later...

Eric Reid

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000925610/article/former-49ers-safety-eric-reid-slated-to-visit-bengals

I am all in on getting this guy signed to multi-year contract as long as they can determine with high certainty that he will not create divisiveness within the team.

Other than the "team cancer" possibility, whats not to like? Young pro bowl caliber player at the peak of his career who at this point in free agency should come cheap. Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes Please.

I'm with you on this as well TJ.  The Bengals liked Reid that year in the draft and I was hoping they would get him then.

I would have zero issues with him being signed and couldn't care less about his political thoughts.
Just make sure he's a fit with the team and go from there.  He would be a significant upgrade to safety in my opinion.
Seeing as how the Bengals were interested in the safety that signed with the Saints (Coleman?) Reid should certainly have their interest up as well.

I'll give it a "yes" as well !!!

On 20/03/2018 at 3:29 AM, GapControl said:

This what I see on Spotrac ->

Lafell can be cut with no dead money and get us 4 mill on the cap.

Pacman is not back yet.

Winston is not back yet. I hope never.

TJ Johnson and even OByMe can but cut with little dead money... not that MB would... just sayin

Quite a few guys without a dead money hit this year. There is still a way to bring in better OL guys and LBs through trade or late cuts etc.  Got a lot of draft pick capital too.

They can do it if they can make moves during the draft to get someone to replace Lafell for example.

Got to have a C, LT, G and LB in this draft / FA offseason !!!!!!!!!!

Geno and Dunlap are supposedly being extended this offseason so now doubt some big chunk of cap space going their way.

Package up some of these 11 draft picks and trade for fewer, high picks would be my favoured way forward

Kevin Minter signs with the Jets