2018 is now starting at the midpoint of the 2017 season

TJJackson

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

I would like to see us sign this recent-cap-release guy: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-josh-sitton-option-declined-20180220-story.html

I was originally excited about the possibility of Wilkerson (also released this week) playing next to our beloved Geno, but the more I read about the guy, the more he seems like a cancer, so no

Wilkerson could need redeeming, so he's a possibility.

As is typical Marvin, he blabs away at the combine and basically says free agency?  We want to sign our own free agents!  

Melisa above was right, Marvin ripped a few players this year and usually he's the most protective guy around.  Normally he won't even crack them after their gone.  So he complains about his personnel, which may be a valid complaint.  I think it was.  Some of the players he had sucked last year.  BUT then this year, time to get some new players?  Nope.  His priority is signing his own free agents, and he also seems to be dating Bodine now.  WTF.  

Orlando Brown's kid was talked about by Marvin.  "I've known him since he was born, etc."  Well, he showed up at the combine and took a giant crap all over himself.  13 bench presses, could barely even jump on the vertical jump test.  Damaged goods who will fall in the draft?  We're all over it baby!

On 3/2/2018 at 3:06 PM, COB said:

Orlando Brown's kid was talked about by Marvin.  "I've known him since he was born, etc."  Well, he showed up at the combine and took a giant crap all over himself.  13 bench presses, could barely even jump on the vertical jump test.  Damaged goods who will fall in the draft?  We're all over it baby!

When he drops to the 2nd, Marvin and Mike won't be able to resist.  Nothing like another under-developed, under-motivated player to go along with Andre Smith too.  

Couple of things I want to see this year - trading of lower round draft picks for either a) better picks next year (2018 r6 for a 2019 r5, etc), or b) packaging picks to move up for quality over quantity

We definitely dont need to draft 11 kids and then release 5 of them - this is a waste of picks.

Also - we need to draft a kicker again and hopefully this one will stick. They can use the comp5 pick from the loss of Whitworth for this and basically get the number 1 kicker out there.

Couple of things I want to see this year - trading of lower round draft picks for either a) better picks next year (2018 r6 for a 2019 r5, etc), or b) packaging picks to move up for quality over quantity

We definitely dont need to draft 11 kids and then release 5 of them - this is a waste of picks.

Also - we need to draft a kicker again and hopefully this one will stick. They can use the comp5 pick from the loss of Whitworth for this and basically get the number 1 kicker out there.

I agree with all of this.  Makes too much sense, though, for Marvin and Katie.  Plus need those camp bodies! 

The more I think about this, the more sense it makes.  Package everything up and get the highest, best picks you can.  Then instead of getting roster fillers in the 6th and 7th rounds who end up cut, or on the practice squad for a year, go sign undrafted guys to fill those roles.  

The buzz around this draft for the Bengals is as low frequency as I've heard in 20 years.  Re-hiring Marvin had a dulling effect on our fan base that is really noticeable.  Everyone's kind of thinking we've seen this movie before, who gives a fuck.  

4 hours ago, COB said:

Re-hiring Marvin had a dulling effect on our fan base that is really noticeable.  Everyone's kind of thinking we've seen this movie before, who gives a fuck.  

Re-hiring mediocre Marvin felt like a kick to the balls for me. All the talk and speculation of Lewis leaving had my hopes high. Now it's like someone opened a door a let a over ripe fart back in the room.

Devoid of vision, discipline, accountability, but great at worthless slogans that are supposed to inspire at training camp. Last year' "Run on your own gas" was particularly lame.

I'm not expecting big changes in results. Mr. Never Won A Playoff Game is still in charge.

On 3/5/2018 at 4:33 PM, BengalszoneBilly said:

Re-hiring mediocre Marvin felt like a kick to the balls for me. All the talk and speculation of Lewis leaving had my hopes high. Now it's like someone opened a door a let a over ripe fart back in the room.

Devoid of vision, discipline, accountability, but great at worthless slogans that are supposed to inspire at training camp. Last year' "Run on your own gas" was particularly lame.

I'm not expecting big changes in results. Mr. Never Won A Playoff Game is still in charge.

This. 

A sailing ship in a regatta with jet boats, as Skipper Mikey trims the jib the jet boats disappear over the horizon. Don't worry lads, the wind is picking up and they've only so much fuel... 

10 hours ago, GapControl said:

Any opinions on what free agent tackle the bengals will sign once FA begins?  Serious question.  :)

Well, as Willy noted above, we're listing badly to starbord as we try to navigate the wake of the jet boats that just flew past us.  In regards to free agent tackles, perhaps we'll find a large carcass floating along.  We'll pull it aboard, but we'll just use it for ballast, to level the boat out.  Once we get that blob onboard, we won't look like we're in so much distress.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Below is text from an article after a game this last December:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive tackle Chris Bakerwas the focal point of a heated locker room argument following Sunday’s loss to the Carolina Panthers.

According to Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times, Baker’s seemingly flippant response to a costly offsides penalty incurred just prior to Carolina’s game-winning touchdown didn’t sit well with teammates.

Per the report, Buccaneers linebacker Lavonte David was heard yelling at quarterback Jameis Winston on the team’s post-game radio show in an attempt to stop Winston from confronting Baker. Linebacker Kwon Alexander also lobbed expletives toward Baker before David bailed on an interview to address the issue.

Baker jumped offsides on a fourth-and-3 from the Buccaneers 5-yard line. After the penalty was assessed half the distance to the goal line, it was only a fourth-and-1 from the 3-yard line the Panthers needed to convert. Despite a fumbled snap, Cam Newton still scored to give the Panthers the victory.

Baker smiling afterward and apparently not seeming too distraught about the penalty rubbed several teammates the wrong way.

He signed a three-year, $16 million contract with the team last offseason, but if he’s angering teammates to the point they are questioning his motivation and commitment to them it may be a short-lived stay in Tampa.

COB: well, in case you failed to detect the sarcasm in my post......yeah, it was sarcasm :-) MEGA BIGTIME :-)

Two more points of clarity I want to add to what I said earlier about offseason plans. I don't want any guards.

Yes, Mr GIMME-A-LINEMAN wants to ignore a lineman spot.

What we need is OT and C. Period. We have options - fairly decent (and cheap) ones - at guard. So gimme tackles and a center, dont spend on guards, at least not this season.

Must draft at least 2 OTs (three if no OT is brought in via FA) (and no, I dont count Hart, and neither should you) and a C. Not a G/C, a dedicated C. I think you have to plan as if Oogie and Fisher (and yeah, Hart too) are not on the roster - cant count on Oogie for major suckage and Fisher due to health, tho yes, I know he has been medically cleared to practice.

Finally, if we do go the extra-extra-stupid route and keep all our draft picks, we should take a long snapper late. Yes. this is not a typo. Yes, our LS made the pro bowl this past year. But he's 33, a geezer in NFL terms, and it cant hurt to use one of these excessive late picks that will regardless almost certainly become a camp cut in an attempt to get younger at LS.

I definitely knew you were being sarcastic in your support for the Chris Baker signing.  Agreed centervand tackle MUST be our priorities.  Unless Marvin’s love interest re-signs to allow himself to be trampled underfoot 16 Sundays this fall.  Then we’re all about tackles.  Maybe our new line coach can evaluate talent.

Burnett and Haslett both coached Baker in Washington and developed him from a UDFA aka Burfict to a high-quality lineman. He’s older now but I’m putting him in the “Pat Simms comparable” group now.  If those two coaches think he improves the line than so be it.  

Adam Jones will now become a free agent at the beginning of the new NFL year on the 14th, as the Bengals have declined the final/option year on his contract.

I know I am probably in the minority, but I'd like him back as a backup at a backup rate of pay.

You are likely in the minority, agreed.  Mike's infatuation with undisciplined, uncontrollable, idiots that have one redeeming quality - they work cheap or they don't work at all, has hurt the Bengals.  Exhibit A is the playoff game against our hated rival that Adam Jones helped give away.  I'm ready to move on.