2018 is now starting at the midpoint of the 2017 season

TJJackson

From my understanding Minter sucks.  He sucked with the Cardinals who were happier with Dansby, so that's saying something.
Granted, I haven't been watching to make an educated synopsis of his play, but I thought I read something on here to that effect.

Yeah, I think they have that ability as well.  Guess we will see.  They seem to love Ogbuehi and FIsher, so that's telling as well.

Yes, a good HC does not rip his players in public. He's now done this with multiple players this year but had never to my knowledge ever done it in a previous year. It is this new behavior alone that tells me that he is done, done DONE here. I actually think this poisons the well a bit in terms of the possibilities of landing a job in the FO, as well

Exactly, why would you want this guy who has been tossing players under the bus working in the front office ??

There are so many decisions that were made concerning the team this year that could be pointed at as example of why they stink but hey, it has to be the rookie WR, who has been hurt fault.

Hell the decision to draft Ross to begin with is one of those decisions. Just unreal that he took this route. Way to build his confidence coach.

11 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Oh yeah, anyone see the latest on Marvin saying Ross has totally let down this team ??

Brilliant stuff from the coach that has played Ross like 20 snaps all season.

Gotta be his fault right ??

Marvin Lewis is such a piece of shit right now, his time really has passed! I don't even think he knows what he is saying anymore.

While there is certainly enough reason to question the decision to draft Ross #9 overall, they knew what they were getting into when that decision was made.
Him missing time due to injury was almost a given when considering his history and then you knew there was going to be a need for time to develop.
However, all of that is apparently tossed out the window when Ross is considered and he gets blasted for pulling up on a route.  (I read that somewhere)

This is yet another example of the stupidity of this coaching staff and front office that has taken the fun out of being a fan.

Bring "Chucky" Gruden out of retirement and give him mass control.
That would be interesting to watch.

15 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Read that PFF graded Ced 0 pressures given up.    

That probably has to be his best pass protection game. 

Don't rejoice.  Paul can use this as proof of development.  I can see Ced being our (very ineffective) starting left tackle for years to come if he manages to sprinkle in some decent performances here and there.  I really would prefer to see him replaced.  Nothing personal, seems like a great guy, but his performance so far has been more typical of a depth type player than a starter.  

I see your point and raise you the case of Gatorade that was denied to JJoe......if these better performances become the norm, and he can improve his run blocking a notch or three, he becomes a keeper. A late blooming keeper, one who we paid for years like a starter while he played a taxi squader, but a keeper nonetheless.

But yeah, I would also hate for Alexander to gain any validation to his claim to remain employed in his current capacity.

I think he could sell drinks or hot dogs on game day tho. Maybe both at the same time.

Reality for the Bengals is they aren't going out a being top bidder for any Free Agent lineman. Had two homegrown top players and didn't even tag one. 

It's unrealistic to think they can/will find multiple quality starters via draft.  Most of the league has struggled with this.

Ced will be in play for some starting role next year.   

They desperately need at least 1 of their already invested picks to show something. 

The way I see it, there are almost certainly some younger OLs out there who are capable of starting but sit the bench because they are behind a pro bowl level starter

Without necessarily applying the "pro bowl" designation here, Mr Katherine Webb is in this exact situation as a QB

I am saying that we can potentially identify one such player - a RFA or a brand spankin new UFA - and bring them in with a promise to start and a starters pay

Because such a player has limited snaps on tape, the price wont be as high as bringing in an actual starter

But this would almost cetainly improve our OL because frankly, I dont think we can get worse, and I dont think our 5 "starters" (Boling included) are starters for a team with an even average OL

If we can find a player who meets this criteria, I'd honestly be open to a player at any of the 5 spots, albeit with most interest in a center and least interest in a LG

• 1 month later...

First round: McGlinchley (or the ND guard, but OT - specifically OLT - strongly preferred)

Second Round: Either a center or A 3-down middle linebacker

Third Round: whichever position you didnt take from the two R2 choices

Trade up using r4 or lower picks if there is an obviously superior player at one of these 3 positions to be had by trading up. Need to focus on quality, not quantity

BPA strategy needs to be forgotten in r1-3, as we now need to acquire immediate starters from the first three players drafted

This guy seems like more of a ORT rather an a OLT

We have needs at both OT spots but the need at OLT is imho far higher in priority

Orlando Brown*, OT, Oklahoma Height: 6-8. Weight: 360. Projected 40 Time: 5.45. Projected Round (2018): 2-3. 1/6/18: Brown is a strong blocker at the point of attack, which is illustrated by him consistently tossing defenders to the ground. In pass protection, Brown has some athletic issues, like playing too high for the NFL, so speed rushers give him problems. Some team sources feel Brown should move inside to guard as a pro, but others believe that he will be a starting right tackle. Multiple team contacts think that Brown will be a second-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft and project him as a starting right tackle. Brown has drawn comparisons to D.J. Fluker coming out of Alabama, who was a high first-rounder but was a bust for the Chargers. Sources have said that Brown plays up or down to competition, and that could be seen with an excellent game against Ohio State but an ugly one versus Iowa State. Brown was not consistently dominant in the ground game even though he should have gotten the better of the collegiate linemen he was facing. 9/1/17: Brown has been a starting left tackle for Oklahoma, but for the NFL, he is more of a right tackle competitor. Brown was a tough run blocker for the Sooners in 2016, opening a lot of holes for their talented tandem of running backs. He spent 2015 and 2016 at left tackle, but he's too tall for that spot in the NFL. Brown could be a good right tackle candidate in his draft class.

If he's a RT, fine with me. I do NOT want them reaching for a LT - that's how we got Ogbuehi. As for "too tall" for LT. Really? That's...weird. Someone tell Jonathan Ogden he was too tall for LT.