NFL Boycott? Are you watching?

AMPHAR

I encourage fellow NFL fans to boycott.        I'm not watching.    Not really because of politics or protest that's kinda the final straw for me.    What really has pissed my off is the cost of attending and suspension of Burfict.    So last week I was all geared up to get an early start to my NFL Sunday by watching Jags/Ravens.   Then found out about the protest and decided it was enough.  Didn't watch.

Now the reality of "missing your team on TV".    You really aren't missing anything.   Through season tickets I've gotten NFL gamepass from the NFL for a few years.    The biggest thing you notice is they have condensed games.    It takes about 3.5+ hours for a broadcast game watching live and about 25 minutes condensed.     In my estimation there's only about 10 minutes of key action.

After Bengals/Packers ended.   I knew the results almost immediately.  Through this board and radio while running around I knew of keys plays.   Through the aftermath of evaluation that goes on throughout the interwebs I've seen the key plays many times.

Their league is unjust.  Teams are favored over others.  There's imbalance of competition from offense to defense.   The officiating is horrendous.   They are charging you a ton IF you like to watch live.

I'm going to boycott to mostly make myself feel better but also to hope enough of a message can be sent for them correct the wrongs that have transpired under Goodell.  I encourage other fans to join and not watch.   But if you do that's cool because I'll be reading your updates.

The big decision will come in February with ticket renewal.   That's going to be tough decision.   I will not be attending anymore games as my tickets have been sold or already given away.

Just an example of Goodell's NFL.

2013 ticket face value - $80

2017 ticket face value - $110

I've been told by ticket reps (it could be lie) that the Bengals face constant pressure about increasing ticket prices.    Either way Mike or Roger, WTF?  A $30 increase per ticket per game in 5 seasons? 

Then you are going to take a key player off the field for 3 games (tried 5) for just making a football play?  Now your guys can't come out for the National Anthem because America is racist?  Get the fuck out of here with that.  Why am I paying for that when I can click on any yahoo's blog and watch 10 minutes of key plays?  I'm an idiot, I guess.

Why would I watch 4 hours and help line your pockets through TV revenue?  Just to get trolled by political opinions.  Doesn't that happen enough already?   I'm the idiot, I guess.    

31 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I encourage fellow NFL fans to boycott.        I'm not watching.    Not really because of politics or protest that's kinda the final straw for me.    What really has pissed my off is the cost of attending and suspension of Burfict.    So last week I was all geared up to get an early start to my NFL Sunday by watching Jags/Ravens.   Then found out about the protest and decided it was enough.  Didn't watch.

I watch nothing before the opening kickoff.

The league is shit and they treat their fans and players alike like garbage.  On that front, I support anyone who wants to give the NFL the finger.

The protests are completely harmless though, and I have no idea why anyone is getting so upset about that.  I served in the military too.  They are literally exercising their right to *peaceful* protest on a platform where their cause can receive national attention.  That's the very essence of being American.

Sorry but you stand for the national anthem period! These teams that didn't even come out on the field, and singer who kneeled down to sing the national anthem, is a disgrace!!

You want to protest, do on your own time, do it on Tuesdays while helping your community get better, not during the national anthem!

My Grandpa who just passsd away would be so disappointed with the crap happening in this world. Kills me just thinking of somebody handing a loved one a flag after they died in battle, and to see people kneeling and burning the flags like they have today.

If they hate the US then move, but I highly doubt they will get there millions elsewhere!

As far as the play, it's shit and it's been for a few years now. The Burfict suspension really got to me this year, and now he's back, but for how long till he is gone again? The NFL is one big embarrassment!

At the same time maybe it's just this team that has me annoyed with everything football lol. 

I used to love it, couldn't wait to watch this team. For once I finally watched a team with true leaders that were bonding together making a good football team.

After the last playoff loss the wheels really came off. I was so mad at what happened, that this team really let another team get in there heads like that. It's was a huge melt down, but yet nothing happens to anyone after that. No one was fired or removed from there duties, they came back the next season and sucked

Im just ready for something new anymore, new coaches, I wanna see thing shaken up some. How about a new offense I'm just tired of watching the same shit every year since Gruden was here. 

Hopefully change will happen to this team, to the NFL, to the world, just ready for change! 

Ok I'm done venting! 

Well yeah if you want to truly "protest" the NFL for their greed, stop buying merch and stop going to games - something I did a long time ago due to the fact our team owner has such low standards.  Tuning-in on TV, or not, isn't going to affect anything.  And I also do not watch the pre or post-game nonsense these days (ridiculous and awful).

Unfortunately it won't stop fans from going to games - which is where the problem really lies, at least here in Cincy.

7 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I dont think I will be able to watch the Bengals after the moment Paul "Bodine is a great player" Alexander is announced as the new head coach.

At least, that is, until he is fired 3-4 games afterwards

Wouldn't that be something if he would become a head coach. Yuck

52 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I dont think I will be able to watch the Bengals after the moment Paul "Bodine is a great player" Alexander is announced as the new head coach.

At least, that is, until he is fired 3-4 games afterwards

That is one move the fan base won't go for though I bet - promoting a guy who's been around since the mid-90's...that hardly elicits any sense of "change" or "moving forward" in a post-Marvin era.  As gullible as fans are here, I don't think they're "that" dumb. 

Interesting.

This might not come as a surprise but I know a consultant that works closely with professional sports.  His point about Goddell is that he is the "fall guy" for the owners.  He takes the heat.  He called it very WWE-like.  It's a facade.  

Goddell is nothing more than the puppet of the owners and will be in place until another spineless turd takes the helm.

I'll watch.  The national anthem thing doesn't bother me.  This isn't North Korea.  We don't have to all profess undying love for our leader and country whenever we're in public.  We can say and do what we want, that's part of being American.  The song says, "land of the free."  

I'm surprised some of our more volatile players didn't do something.  I had a friend today tell me that the idiots on our team all have so much respect and affection for Mike for giving them a chance when no one else would, that once they heard what he wanted, they toed the line.  Sounds plausible.  

If they lose to the Browns this week, Marvin should just pack it in (like he hasn't already).  If I were to go to the game I'd stand for the anthem, then sit in protest when our offense is stumbling around out there.  

Won't stop watching or going to some games just because I simply enjoy it. The protests ??  Nope I don't give it a second thought. I don't like that they used the flag or the anthem but it's neither here nor there for me. I'm not going to be all offended because that's just what people do these days. What would people do if they weren't so busy being the victim ??

Oh well. Two each their own and neither one has to be racist for it to be that way. 

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Won't stop watching or going to some games just because I simply enjoy it. The protests ??  Nope I don't give it a second thought. I don't like that they used the flag or the anthem but it's neither here nor there for me. I'm not going to be all offended because that's just what people do these days. What would people do if they weren't so busy being the victim ??

Oh well. Two each their own and neither one has to be racist for it to be that way. 

Well said!

Neither "side" and their viewpoint bothers me, either.

• 3 weeks later...

CNBC reports decreased EPS estimates for both CBS and FOX  sighting soft NFL ratings decreases TV add revenue this morning.

Many people will declare a political victory but this the worse news for the NFL.

I'm not sure it's a political victory, I just think the owners for about 10 years has drastically damaged its relationship with its fans.   Now the current anthem protest are the final straw.  Just my guess but CEO's siting your business as a reason EPS decline is not good.

In the next wave of media contract renewals what will probably happen is the NFL will be forced to take on risk with media partners and accept variable rate contracts based on some sort of metric. Maybe shorter term or with ways to get out. 

Here’s something I find interesting, while generally not giving this thought...

This whole bunch of current nonsense has progressed to such a point that everyone has all but forgotten that Kaepernick started all of this to bring attention to inequality.

Now it’s about the flag and the anthem. While I do not care for the way in which the protest was coupled with the flag and anthem, protest is a right of every US citizen.

How people claiming to be such advocates of the American way of life have forgotten this surprises me.

I find the whole thing very sad.

IMO,  it's a troll job of Middle America.   It's a political push masked as an innocent cause.      Now did I quit watching the NFL solely because of it?   No.    I haven't watched since Thursday Night Football mostly because of the attempt to suspend Burfict 5 games for a legal/good football play.    Then the Bengals suck.   The cost to watch live has gotten crazy just in the last 4 seasons.   So screw them.

I am tempted to watch this week but I also know Marvin Lewis Bengals rarely ever play their best against the Steelers and there also seems to be one sided calls not favoring the Bengals.  So, I don't know.  If it was at 1, I could do yard work.   4 is an awful tempting time to start wrapping up the weekend.    Nice bowl of chili or something with some fall football?

I might just bet Belmont and Keeneland all day to distract me.

My view is very simple. My employer does not want me using my work day to express my views on politics, social injustice, inequality, etc etc. They are fine with me having such views, which I can express 1) on my own time *and* 2) in a manner where I dont associate my views with my company.

NFL Players are employees, highly compensated ones, who should be doing the same.

Free speech is all good and fine, no issue there, but demonstrations and expressions not related to one's work assignments (in this case, playing the game of football) should be handled on their own time. Period.

12 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

My view is very simple. My employer does not want me using my work day to express my views on politics, social injustice, inequality, etc etc. They are fine with me having such views, which I can express 1) on my own time *and* 2) in a manner where I dont associate my views with my company.

NFL Players are employees, highly compensated ones, who should be doing the same.

Free speech is all good and fine, no issue there, but demonstrations and expressions not related to one's work assignments (in this case, playing the game of football) should be handled on their own time. Period.

Agree.   Also they have fined, warned and removed freedom of expression several times when on company time.     They used to get on Kitna all the time with his bible gear.   Several players have been told no they can honor someone with their gear and other have gotten permission, and some went ahead did it anyway and suffered a fine.