Packers Game.

COB

26 minutes ago, combatbengal said:

We've gone as far as we're going to go with Marvin Lewis. He got us out of that nasty 90's play. This was a typical Marvin game. We kept giving the ball back to Rogers giving him a chance to tie then beat us. We do the same crap with Brady, Rotten Booger, Flacco, etc. We did look a lot better in the 1st half, but we couldn't finish. Under Marvin, we never seem to be prepared to play a full football game. I love Marvin, love what he's done for us, but it's time for new fresh leadership! I say PROMOTE Marvin to GM or let him go, bring in a new HC who has fresh ideas, schemes, discipline, drive, etc.

No, please God do not make him GM! Let him walk into the sunset of mediocrity.

Defense has to win games for them, and will need to as long as they don't have a Rodgers type at QB.   Pac Man Jones has to have the most flags thrown on him in the entire league the last 3+ years, i'd like to see those #'s.  I've almost never despised a player more at this point, what a joke that they keep that silly fool on the roster.

That said Marvin and Mike Brown are clowns and the two of them won't win a playoff game for another 20 years if they continue working together.

I said at half time that even if we lose it will be progress...... certainly doesn't feel like progress now! This has been my big issue/s with Marvin from day one- no discipline and no killer instinct. We could and should have won that game from that position but he goes all safe and suddenly we can't move the ball. The defence plays off and Rogers picks us apart. I'm also sick of the amount of penalties against us, mostly against the same players time and again, usually at critical times. Lewis has had so many talented players in his time, and yet this has become the norm. No, it's not the 90s but it's quickly descending that way. Sadly I see us 0-4 after next week, when if they'd addressed their needs and prepared properly in the off season they could/should be 4-0. Gutted.

So another week and another loss. I had hopes going into half time that this team was turning things around, just to be let down yet again. I have supported Dalton for years now, but I am done! It was a real eye opener listening to Tony point out all of Dalton's mistakes. If Romo has the same view as all the coaches sitting in the press box, why is it they cant see what Romo was pointing out on live TV. I will even give them a chance saying they have a lot going on, but today you should be sitting in the film room watching all of his mistakes that ended up costing us the game. Now correct me if I am wrong all the guaranteed money that is owed to Dalton has been paid to him, and everything is now options according to his contract deal. It's time to move onto AJ and let him finish out the year he cant possibly do anymore harm, and if he cant get the job done we will have a top 5 pick going into next years draft and we pick up a new QB or use that pick to help the O line and see what free agency brings in terms of a QB.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marine10311 said:

So another week and another loss. I had hopes going into half time that this team was turning things around, just to be let down yet again. I have supported Dalton for years now, but I am done! It was a real eye opener listening to Tony point out all of Dalton's mistakes. If Romo has the same view as all the coaches sitting in the press box, why is it they cant see what Romo was pointing out on live TV. I will even give them a chance saying they have a lot going on, but today you should be sitting in the film room watching all of his mistakes that ended up costing us the game. Now correct me if I am wrong all the guaranteed money that is owed to Dalton has been paid to him, and everything is now options according to his contract deal. It's time to move onto AJ and let him finish out the year he cant possibly do anymore harm, and if he cant get the job done we will have a top 5 pick going into next years draft and we pick up a new QB or use that pick to help the O line and see what free agency brings in terms of a QB.

You are correct regarding the Dalton contract.   It was essentially a 4 year deal with two jump off (option) years.      

Going into next season Dalton will cost 16.3 mil against the cap with 13.7 of that being salary.   So the Bengals could save 13.7 cash and cap if they move him off the roster. 

Again - Dalton is a part of the problem, but he is nowhere near the largest part of the problem.

The biggest? The willingness to let our best OL go in the offseason.

Who provided that willingness? Paul "I'm not losing any sleep over the state of our OL" Alexander, who is also noted for such immortal lines as "Bodine is a great player" and "I've never had an offensive lineman fail"

The next change that needs to occur for this team to regain any semblance of competitiveness is ALEXANDER HAS TO GO BUH BYE

on a related note, I was puzzled to see Fisher struggling. I still think he can be a better than average OT in this league, and would be already if he had the benefit of a better OL coach. I hope he just shakes this one off and watches his film and fixes his mistakes

It's such a different game when you have a good quarterback.  The kid from Clemson that the Texans drafted?  Looks great.  Andy's time has passed, and if he follows up last year's 6 wins with 7 or under, I'm guessing they'll evaluate quarterbacks in the draft.  Doesn't mean they'll take one, but if they find a guy like Watson, I think they'll take him.

• Like 1

One thing often forgotten with Dalton is that he is on his fourth offensive coordinator now.  As much as the Bengals have valued stability, they haven't been able to have that at OC with two future head coaches and one trash can in the Dalton era.  I wouldn't object to moving on from Andy after this season, because I think the tenured core of the team (QB, head coach, OL coach in particular) needs to go just to kick some life into this franchise.  The fans don't give a shit anymore.

I have no doubt though that Dalton would get a chance to start elsewhere, and in the right situation I'd expect him to be successful.

21 minutes ago, Stripes said:

One thing often forgotten with Dalton is that he is on his fourth offensive coordinator now.  As much as the Bengals have valued stability, they haven't been able to have that at OC with two future head coaches and one trash can in the Dalton era.  I wouldn't object to moving on from Andy after this season, because I think the tenured core of the team (QB, head coach, OL coach in particular) needs to go just to kick some life into this franchise.  The fans don't give a shit anymore.

I have no doubt though that Dalton would get a chance to start elsewhere, and in the right situation I'd expect him to be successful.

No doubt you put Dalton into a new system his does well, heck he may even come away with a ring in the right system.

Dalton needs talent around him! He has the playmakers without an o-line. When he is protected and the receivers are in the right spot he can be a good QB. 

Hell maybe a running game would be his best friend. We have heard since Gruden was here, about this so called running game, I'm still looking for it.

Its a shame wasting such talent on offense, because you refuse to pay for good o-lineman, or are afraid to say when you made a mistake in the draft. 

Just frustrating anymore.

Offense scored 3 points in the 2nd half + OT total.  Dalton doesn't get criticized by some because he put-up some decent #'s in the 1st half and didn't turn it over (the one thing he has to do consistently but never will).

That is why I put a lot of blame on Jones - the offense makes it tough when they stall-out an entire half, but Marvin's teams simply can't avoid beating themselves constantly, especially in tough/big games.

They'll look better next week with Burfict back (I believe) and Dalton could have a big game vs Cleveland.  But they're still 0-3 and teams know all you have to do is rattle Dalton to foil him, easier to do with that 0-line.  So that'll happen again and again throughout the season.

6 hours ago, Marine10311 said:

No doubt you put Dalton into a new system his does well, heck he may even come away with a ring in the right system.

I would like to see him play behind a good 0-line for at least a couple of years, in a different offense.  I think he'd just be another Cutler or Romo though (all #'s, no post season success at all).

On 25/09/2017 at 6:35 AM, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Defense has to win games for them,

6 sacks and a pick 6 went a long way to contribute in this game to keep it tight. 

The O has got to step up and move the ball to eat the clock and put points on the board when presented with that opportunity.

6 hours ago, Scottishbengal said:

6 sacks and a pick 6 went a long way to contribute in this game to keep it tight. 

The O has got to step up and move the ball to eat the clock and put points on the board when presented with that opportunity.

The defense still gave-up 27 points (despite no turnovers) and the blown coverages and penalties did them in, just as much as the offensive collapse in the 2nd half.   

But it's not about blaming one side or the other, just making the point that this defense can't make huge mistakes like that in tight games and expect to win games - they have to carry that team if they want to win games.  They have coverage liabilities in Jones and Dennard - one of whom makes idiotic mistakes time and time again to blow games in the 4th quarter it seems.  Why Jackson and Shaw aren't used more in their roles, I'm not sure yet.

McAlister posted plays from Twitter that highlight Dennard's missing coverage to convert a ridiculous 3rd down by Rodgers, but did not highlight the big swings due to Jones' penalties and his blown coverage to seal the game.  I don't know why more people aren't complaining about his awful play.  

http://espn1530.iheart.com/featured/lance-mcalister/content/2017-09-25-bengals-plays-that-caught-my-eye/

Doesn't mean I wasn't impressed with Lawson and the pass rush, or the good run defense, etc...,  We know the offense is going to sputter and make dumb mistakes, that means the defense can't do the same multiple times a game.

23 hours ago, volcom69 said:

Dalton needs talent around him! He has the playmakers without an o-line. When he is protected and the receivers are in the right spot he can be a good QB. 

Hell maybe a running game would be his best friend. We have heard since Gruden was here, about this so called running game, I'm still looking for it.

Its a shame wasting such talent on offense, because you refuse to pay for good o-lineman, or are afraid to say when you made a mistake in the draft. 

Just frustrating anymore.

Yep been hearing since Gruden.  Still a balanced 30 runs 30 pass against Green Bay and the Bengals had the lead all day.  The fact is, this line can't run the ball against real regular season football.  They couldn't do it that well when whit was here, except to run it up the back of smith and zeitler.