Zampese just got fired

COB

That is indeed the problem, you've nailed it. Failing to draft well, then failing to own up to it and adjust accordingly.

Oddly, tho, prior to the last 4-5 years, they drafted incredibly well. The last 4-5 drafts have not been so good. Picking the second best kicker this year when the best one was still available is a very simple\obvious example of such.

One admission they need to make is not only is Ogbeuhi not all that great (to put it mildly) but also that he isn't a LT. He might not even be a RT. I think Fisher (who I think will be fine) should move to LT and The Flesh Zeppelin can man the RT spot he is accustomed to while we keep working to see if Oogie can play RT, and if not that, RG. LT is too important a spot to trust to a shitty player like Oogie is right now.

UT figured it out, btw - they moved Oogie to LT for a few games then moved him back. They admitted the failed experiment. I think Oogie only refers to it as his "natural position" because he "naturally" would make a lot more money as a LT than he would at any other OL spot.

Thing is Ogbuegi couldn't beat out any of our OG's so that would be pointless. Seeing as how his time at RT resulted in him getting benched, I simply think he's a bust. Move on and do what they wouldn't do last year and pay a FA along with taking a high round OT. Follow that with a Center sometime early and they can right the ship. The ship with Ogbuehi aboard is going down.

I look at him as a very expensive backup with enough athleticism that something might, even with our shitty OL coach, develop in him. A light he flips on himself, somehow, some way.

Yes, it is a distant and (at best) flickering hope, but its better for me than nothing.

Bare minimum, they need to move Fisher to LT to get him acclimated there sooner rather than later.

Whether it be Fisher or Ced or another group of failed highly draft OTs the solution is still the same.   You are going to have to develop tackles in a league that is making it more difficult to develop tackles (according to National experts from pro and college).

You maybe able to go back pre 2011 and kick the tires on an aging Vet to bridge the gap but that's not going to viable very long and still probably won't yield quality results.

Let's be honest for second.   Winston when inserted in the line up was better than Ced by a fraction.   He'd be hear if he was that much better.  He wouldn't be a street FA right now.   Andre Smith, nobody was beating his door down.

It's going to be just as much hit and miss.  

You need to change staff and go find a Willie Anderson type that played D1 in the 90s and played in the NFL to begin to relate and repair some of these damaged but athletic players that will be coming up in free agency.    A LeCharles Bentley type that did run his own linemen training school.      Someone that's going to know what recent college playing life is like and what the NFL needs/demands and develop that without a lot of contact reps.

OR

The league goes to the Union and begins negotiating to fix the practice rules.

OR

You run a greater risk of injury and start using the preseason for what it's actually for instead of using it for Revenue and fearing it might take out a starter or two.   Start playing these young players into the 3rd quarters of the first and second preseason games.

AND when you finally mine gold or strike oil use the FUCKING franchise tag or at least the transition tag so you are not putting an asset on the market with 0 protection.    That was just an all time dumb move.

You know how pitchers and catchers report earlier and get more days of training camp in baseball?

That should be the arrangement for OL in football as well. Coaches can simulate positioning as front seven players and at the very least the blocking assignments can be walked through during this initial 'pre-camp' period. There could potentially be conditioning and lifting as well, but no hitting. I'd say live snapping (both normal and shotgun) by the centers could also be practiced since it adds value and there'd still be no hitting

and Yes, would have to be signed off on by the players union, but it'd benefit both sides.