Zampese just got fired

COB

14 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

You should be. It's the first time that they have ever fired a coordinator in-season. That's 50 freakin years. This is literally groundbreaking.

im not just surprised, I'm flat-out stunned.

Yeah count me in on that.  I thought Leslie Frazier got axed but that was in the offseason according to Hobinator.  

Thought they'd bench Ogbuehi or slide him to RG with Smith at LT or if not those, make a trade for a real starter.

did not see Zampese getting canned at all

2 hours ago, GapControl said:

And someone tell me if I'm wrong but isn't Paul Alexander married into the Brown - Blackburn family? Seriously, could have swore I read that he was.

if it's true, he'll never be fired but rather moved into the front office somewhere

No.  He's considered among the best supposedly.

Bengal fans don't like him because he was a hold over from pre Marvin days and I believe was extended prior to Marvin officially signing.

The story I've heard or read (can't remember) was the reason he's Assistant Head coach is because Marvin wanted to make sure he couldn't leave.  Supposedly Alexander was fed up with organization and not coming back until Marvin made him Assistant head Coach.

I think I've heard Lap tell the story on radio or something.  

Alexander has been here for like 25 years now, and your right is considered one of the best around.

I remember Pat Kirwin on sirus NFL radio saying how great he is and is one of the best o-line coaches around. 

So makes me wonder what the hell has happened here, why the hell is the line so so bad.

I've also heard the WR coach is considered among the best, too.  

However,  your rep whatever it is doesn't matter toady.   Ced, Fish, and Bodine are struggling it's beyond time for them to start moving forward.

If they don't it's time for a new view on the offensive line.   

If it doesn't turn around every offensive coach's job should be on the line. 

• Like 1

I do recall telling everyone bfore training camp even started that we were in trouble with the O line. Last year they sucked and what do we do, we let our two best linemen leave and we didn't address it in free agency nor the draft. Trons of people bashed me saying our young guys will step up. Well now we're two games into the season, we're 0-2, haven't scored a TD yet.... Yea, we're in trouble. Now the question is, are we going to win a game this season? We got Green Bay next week and then the Browns. No way we win in Green Bay and the Browns are playing better than we are at this point. I see two possible wins as of now - we play the Colts and Bears. Going to be a long season!

4 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

No.  He's considered among the best supposedly.

Bengal fans don't like him because he was a hold over from pre Marvin days and I believe was extended prior to Marvin officially signing.

The story I've heard or read (can't remember) was the reason he's Assistant Head coach is because Marvin wanted to make sure he couldn't leave.  Supposedly Alexander was fed up with organization and not coming back until Marvin made him Assistant head Coach.

I think I've heard Lap tell the story on radio or something.  

Yeah, the story at the time was that he was going to quit because he didn't get the head coaching job, so they gave him the assistant title. It's never been clear to me whether that was Lewis' doing or Mikey's. I've always assumed the latter; Marvin had no connection to Alexander, why would he care?

On 9/15/2017 at 2:53 PM, HoosierCat said:

You should be. It's the first time that they have ever fired a coordinator in-season. That's 50 freakin years. This is literally groundbreaking.

im not just surprised, I'm flat-out stunned.

I agree. I heard the rumors even posted on fb. Mike don't fire people during the season. My jaw dropped when i see this today. 

Arun Srinivasan reports ( on the Score App on my phone) that Marvin faced a near insurrection from his players after the Texans game.  Which means AJ Green wasn't the only one complaining about the game plan.  He had to make the change or it sounds like he was in danger of the cliche', "losing the team."  

Zampese obviously lost them when, with a straight face, he called 3 straight pass plays to Errickson with the game on the line.

1 hour ago, COB said:

Arun Srinivasan reports ( on the Score App on my phone) that Marvin faced a near insurrection from his players after the Texans game.  Which means AJ Green wasn't the only one complaining about the game plan.  He had to make the change or it sounds like he was in danger of the cliche', "losing the team."  

Zampese obviously lost them when, with a straight face, he called 3 straight pass plays to Errickson with the game on the line.

Whatever. How the offensive linemen can even be in the same room with the other players and not feel like total pieces of shit escapes me. The coaching staff from top to bottom as well. There is simply NO accountability!!

I think Marvin holds more sway when it comes to his coaches and his job than maybe people realize, and certainly previous coaches.  

I just don't understand why he would think this particular team had any real shot at saving his career, if he's on a year-to-year type of deal. But if he's desperate to keep his job...talks MB into cutting a coordinator. 

Yet Alexander and his multiple 1st and 2nd round flops out there, the weakest group on the team, sticks around. 

They just don't mind losing enough.

Oh I agree with you TJ and in the 2016 draft so did the Bengals when they drafted two OT's in the first two rounds.

Problem is the picks turned out to be poor and when push came to shove, they made the decision to move on with two picks they knew weren't the same caliber and allowed two pro bowl level guys walk.

Thise two picks along with poor decisions have resulted in the 2017 Bengals.

But I know I'm preaching to he choir...

I still disagree with picking lineman every year early to cover for idiocy on the coaching staff. 

Also, offensive line play around the league is at what a whole bunch of the paid experts are calling an all-time low in terms of skill and ability.  Simply put, the players being drafted come into the league unready and unable to perform as they used to, due in no small part to the offensive changes in college. A quick look at a LOT of the lines on allegedly decent teams reveals this problem isn't simply a Cincinnati problem (Giants, Seahawks are two other allegedly contending teams whose lines are a sieve - and I am hearing Carolina not much better, and the Texans line is abysmal. Etc.) That said, it is insane that the Bengals didn't see that and adjust their artificial internal spending caps per position to retain both Zeitler and Whitworth, since players of those skills are absolutely invaluable in 2017. And even more so since Alexander I don't believe can "coach 'em up" (with regard to draftees) like his reputation somehow says he can. 

GIMME A LINEMAN is really more my simple expression that the lines (both of them) need to remain a core strength of this team.

Control the line of scrimmage, control the game.

That said, I get how this could come off as looking like I want a lineman taken in r1 every year, tho that isn't the case. Instead - draft with a specific focus on keeping the lines strong, including the backups.

This is especially important given what an absolute worthless bag of crap we have for an O-Line coach. They're not going to be coached up, so they have to be high quality "ready-to-start" to begin with.

58 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I might support taking at least one lineman on each side of the ball in the first four picks every year.  They may already be close to that though.

I'd guess they're there already.  They need to:

1. Scout and pick well.

2.  When they whiff, admit it and try to fix it.  Don't just stick your head in the sand and play the picks based on their salary and draft slot.