Ravens @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

Here's another Bodine laffer. 

Can I say I hate this whole approach of, snap and fall back? I get that run blocking and pass protection are different but it seems to me that if you are falling back before the defender even makes contact you get...well...this. But I'm not Paul Oline Zen Master Alexander, so...

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Here's another Bodine laffer. 

Can I say I hate this whole approach of, snap and fall back? I get that run blocking and pass protection are different but it seems to me that if you are falling back before the defender even makes contact you get...well...this. But I'm not Paul Oline Zen Master Alexander, so...

This was Dalton's fault.    I've been trying to analyze this play since it was critical one in the game and this different view helps, while I wait for endzone view.

He's at fault because he locks on to Eifert who is running his pattern into a bracket zone.    Meanwhile LaFell (illegally) picked #57 who was locked into man on Gio.  Gio was free rather quickly and would probably have scored, if not clearly first down.   Andy was late getting to Gio it was clear the Raven's were going to use the middle defenders to Bracket Eifert and Green in the middle.     He should have gone to Gio and/or Green as he broke to the corner back from the slot position.       Andy was predetermined to go to Eifert prior to the snap is my guess. 

As for the line play.   Bodine looks like a goof for sure.   However he not the blame, IMO.    They are in half line protection.   Right side is zone blocking, left side is man to man.

You can tell because of Fisher's lateral pass set up.   Bodine's responsibility is Right side A gap assisting RG if the defender goes that way.    Not a good look but not the reason why Andy had to scramble.    Bodine got his foot stepped on by RG.  Ced locked up one on one has to hold is block longer.

Also and earlier sack goes to Eifert and/or Boyd (I think), IMO.   3rd down medium distance.   Eifert comes off the line runs an out towards the sideline at the sticks.   WR jets into him.   Dalton has to tuck it down because they run into each other.   Sack.     Someone ran a wrong route on that one, If not it's probably a first assuming they catch it.

Dalton is so worried about the pass rush anymore, he decides before snap who he is going to throw too. He stared down so many receivers, it's like Baltimore knew where he was going to throw it. 

He has no time to look else where. He has always gotten the ball out fast, but I think now the pass rush has just gotten to him.

Dalton is what he is anymore, and I think we have seen the best he has got already. 

We can only hope they can learn to run the ball and play lights out defense. Let Dalton on throw it 18 times or so a game and hope no turnovers. 

I've said it before:

GIMME A LINEMAN

no, wait

GIMME 5 NEW LINEMEN

I listened to caller after caller on the radio bash Dalton. I get it, Dalton had a bad game too - but not gawdawful like the OLine did.

The D wasnt good either. If you know the play is a run down after down after down, you SHOULD be able to stop it....you're no longer guessing run or pass on each play. Not our D. Nope.

Andy was only part of the problem yesterday. He was however NOT the main problem

Just now, TJJackson said:

I've said it before: GIMME A LINEMAN no, wait GIMME 5 NEW LINEMEN I listened to caller after caller on the radio bash Dalton. I get it, Dalton had a bad game too - but not gawdawful like the OLine did. The D wasnt good either. If you know the play is a run down after down after down, you SHOULD be able to stop it. Not our D. Andy was only part of the problem yesterday. He was not the main problem

Dalton was that bad.    Just based on watching TV view and not All-22 he was worse than the o-line.    But it's hard to really tell how a QB performed without the Blimp view, just the same as it is hard to tell about line play without end zone.

Just by using the TV view and pausing a second after the snap the overall synopsis is probably the Ravens flooded secondary with zone and Dalton couldn't find or throw to the open windows consistently enough.   

Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind when all-22 comes out.

12 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

gonna have to agree to disagree, Amphar. I watched the same atrocious game you did.

It's all connected. Dalton played poorly, he admitted that himself. The line was awful, and that part of the reason Andy was bad. He has no faith in the line, and it's hard to blame him. Being missed in all this is that Ross was out, meaning we had the same issue of recievers not getting open we had last year. And the offensive coordinator has no more clue this season than last. Oh, let's toss in a senseless three headed hydra at RB just for fun. Nothing about this offense makes any sense.

Would five good olinemen make a difference? Yup, for sure. But we still lack receivers, the RB corps is goofy and Andy is what he is. Would we be better is Aaron Rogers was QB? Sure, but with this collection of crap around him, we still aren't winning anything.

My fixes:

1. Bring back Bob Bratkowski. Jesus Christ, there's a sentence I never thought I would write. But all least he's an actual offensive coordinator. Get him in now so he has a mini bye week after Thursday to get launched.

2. Moobs to LT, anyone to RG, anyone to C. Cut Ced. Bring Winston back, wtf.

3. Mixon is 1, Gio 3rd down, Hill traded for 2018 pick. Pound the rock.

4. Burfict to TE. Put him on the line and have him hit someone every down.

5. Offer Cleveland our next five first round picks for Hue Jackson.

6. Call Elon Musk and arrange a Martian vacation for Mike, Katie and Troy.

I watched the Browns play after this horrible horrific home opener by the Bengals.  Got international game pass so didn't know the outcome of the browns game.

cleveland has a better than average Oline.  That was clear.  Take their line and put it on the bengals vs ravens and we score almost 30

10 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Watching Dalvin Cook run for the Vikings. 84 yards at the start of the 4th. Hmmmmm.

Yeah, you gotta hand it to the Bengals for their bold strategy of using a premium draft pick on a player with red flags, taking a huge PR hit, then...not playing him!

Seriously, the only two additions to the O were Mixon and Ross and we basically got neither. No surprise the O, which stunk last year, continued to stink.