UPDATE: Burfict Suspended 3 Games

HoosierCat

The one thing that gives me a little hope on the appeal is that this is starting to remind me of when that ahole northern KY prosecutor flat out admitted that they were targeting Chris Henry because he was just a thug (in his opinion) and expressed puzzlement why anyone would object to that. It did the one thing that seemed impossible, it turned Slim into a sympathetic figure.

There is a lot of wtf out there about this suspension. Even people who think he's trash also think he's getting jobbed. I'm not holding out hope for much of a reduction, maybe it goes to four games, but anything would be a plus.

I get that most call him the dirtiest player in the league, but few would have issue if he played for them.
While I think he needs to play smarter, I like him being on that edge.  I like his aggressiveness and passion.

All those calling for more of a punishment are either hypocrites or pussies.  That's seriously how I see this one.
What's the CB's job when playing up on the line opposite a WR ??  Jam him and throw him off his route.
I get that maybe the play wasn't going toward the FB, but he was coming free across the middle less than 5 yards off the line.

Hell, the refs didn't even flag him.  Total bullshit.
Not like the refs weren't watching the middle of the field when Tez is out there.
C'mon man...

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Anyone hear Chris Sims on PFT talking about the hit ??
Saying Burfict should be suspended for the season due to this hit.
Guess that's why his pussy ass doesn't play the game anymore.

F*CK YOU CHRIS SIMS, YOU LITTLE BITCH !!

If it was so vicious why was a flag never thrown? If it was so vicious why did the Chiefs player say it wasn't a dirty hit. If it was so vicious why wasn't the guy injured laying on the ground with a concussion! 

Media they all suck!!! Need to say something to get everyone's attention I guess! 

It's the media and Bengals. They'll tow the line while the game of football is changed right under their noses. 

If that hit warrants a suspension and according to Chris Sims a year long suspension then this "evil" players list should grow quite rapidly and be filled with LBs and Safeties.  

I doubt that it does and this will be abother inconsistent rule and we'll lose a LB for 5 games.  

The justification is well it's Burfict has already begun. 

It is just laziness from a journalism perspective.  The Bengals have one of the smallest and densest fanbases (meaning Cincy fans are largely in and around Cincy).  They are easy pickings because you are going to upset the fewest number of people.  They do not take the time to research the situation (case in point: Smith saying why does he (Burfict) continue to step outside the rules...when that hit was legal and within the rules).

• Like 1

Marvin gave a strong response that can be read at Cincinnati.com.  

In summary:  He points to an early play vs. Redskins that has the same route combination as the play in which Burfict is being suspended for.   Except this time Cousins checks down to the back and Burfict is there to make the play.     Strong point made by Marvin, IMO.   Alex Smith gives a slight pump and look to the FB's side and throws the ball over the head to the TE.    Marvin stated  that route combination is used a lot.

On the ball being out of the QBs hand.    Marvin responds if you go frame by frame it was clear it was out.    But we don't have Refs going frame by frame during live play, but the players is supposed too. 

Also pointed out he it was clear hit in the front and not using any part of the head or targeting the head of the other player.

Yup.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/08/30/cincinnati-bengals-vontaze-burfict-has-suspension-reduced-three-games/618611001/

Basically he's suspended because his name is Burfict. Thrash explicitly states the suspension is for past offenses...which of course he's already been suspended for.

Ridiculous.

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Still BS.  Taking a guy off the field for a subjective play.  

Agreed. It seems they will always have it in for Burfict. Even if this was flag football they would say he removed it to  hard. Douche bags.

I still don't understand this. What is a defenseless receiver, he was hit within the 5 yards, and was going out for a pass? 

Nothing about this makes sense at all. Worst part is I have seen harder hits from the steelers and other teams and never once have I seen them suspended. 

Like I said the NFL makes up rules as it goes, it's awful and it's getting worse to watch. Stop taking away stuff in football that used to be fun to watch, and start treating all teams the same!!!

Burfict will be back, but for how long. One big hit and he will be out for the season on suspension, so I'm not sure how long we can count on him which sucks!  

So here we go.   I admit this is a weak example by myself.       From my all-22 review and the play in which Andy Throws the pick going to LaFell in the endzone.

Gio was releasing through the line  #99 goes to the head or tries to.  Within 5 yards and the ball was just released.      However,  Gio is quick enough to spin and avoid the head shot and just ultimately fall to the ground.

I think it was a legal play and smart play by Raven defender however HE Didn't hit the head as he was intending because Gio had his head on a swivel and also is quicker than your average FB.

So,  I'm not combing through every game but I'm sure there's going to be some, so my question is WHERE is the list of offenders?  Who got the warnings?

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched Bengals Weekly.  Marvin is never a ball of fire, but this week he seemed even more depressed than usual.

He was asked about firing Zampese, and he said he appreciated 15 years of good work from Ken, but things weren't working, so decided to make the change.  Marvin did not look happy, there was no joy or excitement in his face or voice, and honestly it just felt like I was watching and listening to a broken man.  I think he's done, Mike waited too long.

PS - get a player jersey with a 50th year patch at the Bengals store in the stadium!