UPDATE: Burfict Suspended 3 Games

HoosierCat

That's about it, apparently. The fullback he hit is considered "defenseless" because the NFL now defines defenseless as "any contact by a player we don't like" or something.

Seriously, I have no idea what "defenseless" now means in an NFL context. 

it might be legal hit but I keep on watch that video. I see NO REASON for him to hit that guy other than for heck of it. dirty player as usual.

but I do still want him to stay as Bengals as he is damn good player but wish he grow up and stop act moron. his TD celebrating today was over the line, it digust me. in a way he remind me of Chad Johnson.

IMO, not dirty.     But coaches, fans, owners, league officials, media can call it "dirty" and create the new standard all they want.   

Ravens fans have become experts on NFL investigations of domestic abuse by default.

Patriot fans know the league procedures for investigations and can recite GAS laws with the best of them.

I guess Bengal fans role is to now be able to determine the new standard of dirty hits and question why they don't get called.

What the fuck is this league doing?   I can't wrap my head around how far they can drop this bar until this really is the WWE.   

I can't even begin to describe the effect this could and probably will have.   You will have players flopping like they do in Soccer and Basketball lobbying for calls and red cards.   It's amazing.    I'm just waiting for a chair to come flying into the ring.....unbelievable.

Of course classy Mike Brown will take it.  

The FB was playing soft and therefore we lose a defender for 5 games.  

The NFL really going penalize all de-cleaters from frontside shoulder to chest hits?  Unbelievable.    

It will be worth an offensive player to suffer the embarrassment of getting pancaked like that so they'll lose a player assuming it becomes the new league standard and not the new Burfict standard.

You can see it was clearly a shoulder shot, they were both going at each other, I don't even think Burfict saw him till it was to late.

The Chiefs player even said it wasn't a dirty hit, yea I don't get what the NFL is becoming anymore. I think maybe it's time to put flags on these guys, and let them run around till somebody takes there flag away. The NFL is just silly

This is going to go the route of a lot of prior league rule issues in recent years.   Like the "catch" or what is a catch?   The refs fucked up in a game of Bears vs. Detriot and Calvin Johnson and that's set them on this path of trying perfectly define what a catch should be in the rule book.   Impossible.    Now it's a multi step rule on paper and impossible to get it right in real time all the time.   So we are now throw into more replays which drags out the game etc.

Same thing will happen to Burfict.   The league will stand tough on some sort of suspension.  Rival fans won't object, because why would they?  Other uninformed fans will just ignore and assume a dirty play must of happened.    Meanwhile the league forces in another multi tier ruling that will be IMPOSSIBLE to get it right most of the time in real time.

This will lead to offensive players "taking the charge" like in Basketball which the quality of the sport is ruined by flopping.  Same with soccer players trying to draw out red and yellow cards all the time by flopping when they are barely touched.  

This path with the league and Burfict is just a bad, bad idea.   Like it was to involve themselves in suspending players with no conviction and doing their own investigations.   Bad idea. 

But whatever,  I'm still watching and going to games so I guess the only solution to fix my complaint relies with me.  Which is a tough spot to be in as a long time fan.

48 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

What the fuck is this league doing?

IMO, this is all about distraction and misdirection.

Everything you need to know can be summed up in three letters: CTE. The league spent decades lying and obfuscating about it, but th science can't be ignored any longer. And it's increasingly clear that even normal contact during games rattles the brain and leads to CTE. In other words, playing the game as currently designed causes brain damage.

This is an extistential threat to the NFL, and their strategy is to point as loudly as possible to guys like Burfict to say, oh, no, football is safe, it's just unsafe players that cause these problems. Again, this is total bullshit, but it's bullshit with the power and money of the league and its mouthpieces behind it. Even those with some independence tend to tow the line because the NFL is so lucrative. 

Burfict is just a scapegoat to deflect blame. If he fell over dead today, they'd just find another player to take his place.

Anyhow, that's my two cents.

I don't think the league ever dies.    Maybe it decreases in popularity which might not be a bad thing at all.  

By virtue of having daughters that play Volleyball, I have become a fan of that sport.   Nobody cares about it or I should say very little do.   But through the magic of the internet you can get what you need to enjoy the sport.   Same with horse racing, a once very popular sport now largely ignored but you can still get plenty of info to enjoy.

Just because I became a fan of the NFL long time ago and the NFL's wild success.   Today,  I get treated to legal arguments over wife beating, air in footballs.  I get reminded I'm a racist all because some political wackos decided to troll middle America with National Anthem protests.   Now I'm treated to an endless supply of subjective rules that make the game more confusing and complicated and overall less enjoyable and ALL at an increasing cost.  

I'm tired of it.   Let's go back to the 80's and let Baseball have the top spot back and let the NFL operate as the hungry league that wanted to be the best.

This suspension is the latest and best example of the NFL in the back pocket of the Steelers organization.  Burfict threatens the Steelers and stands up to them.  He has become public enemy #1 in Pittsburgh because he is the Bengals X factor.  Last night was a great example...with Burfict 1 yard against for the quarter, without him they can't stop the offense.

I am not normally a conspiracy theorist but do we think for a second if Burfict played for the Steelers he would get that treatment?  Nope, he would be lauded as a great throwback player upholding the Steelers tradition.  Burfict plays for the Bengals and as such must be stopped because the Rooneys say so.

• Like 1

I don't know how far a conspiracy goes with Burfict and the league as far as equal treatment IF he was a Steeler.

I do think he would not have been vilified so quickly by the media and IF there was punishment by the league it would receive more opinion resistance from the media.

Since it's Cincy most media and neutral fans will nod their head in agreement and say "Of course he's a dirty player, can't have those type of hits, Bengals try to find cheap talent yada, yada, yada, Pac Man Jones.....Mixon...." 

Meanwhile they are changing the game.  The changes via rulebook can't be enforced equally therefore effecting fair play.  Arguments can be made that these changes play in favor of certain styles of football.   Gio better never get bumped over crossing of the middle.  The second he does he should flop to draw a flag and league review.

Crappy game but it is what it is now.

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

...if Burfict played for the Steelers he would get that treatment?  Nope, he would be lauded as a great throwback player upholding the Steelers tradition.  Burfict plays for the Bengals and as such must be stopped because the Rooneys say so.

His agent might think about that.  Goodell is best friends with the Rooneys.  I wholeheartedly agree that were Burfict a Steeler, he'd be celebrated as the second coming of Jack Lambert.  Instead he's the second coming of jack Tatum.  

The NFL's just getting worse and worse.

No Burfict for 5 games pretty much throws the season out the window in my opinion, that defense isn't good enough to overcome it, the drop-off in talent is steep at LB outside of Burfict, and has been for years now.

At least there's college FB, the one saving grace for someone who loves the game but is getting utterly bored with the NFL and crap like this.

I mean Cade McNown is actually starting for a team this year (it's 2017!) and Marvin Lewis is still a HC for the Bengals. 

And now LB's can't even bump into guys coming cross them inside the 5 yard zone of allowable contact? 

Just stupid.

14 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

The NFL's just getting worse and worse.

No Burfict for 5 games pretty much throws the season out the window in my opinion, that defense isn't good enough to overcome it, the drop-off in talent is steep at LB outside of Burfict, and has been for years now.

At least there's college FB, the one saving grace for someone who loves the game but is getting utterly bored with the NFL and crap like this.

I mean Cade McNown is actually starting for a team this year (it's 2017!) and Marvin Lewis is still a HC for the Bengals. 

And now LB's can't even bump into guys coming cross them inside the 5 yard zone of allowable contact? 

Just stupid.

Yup it's time for flag football anymore that's what the NFL is becoming. 

I understand protecting players, but this shit is going overboard.