Tale of the Tape - Defense, Pre Season Game 2

AMPHAR

One thing I noted from last week and was a little annoyed was the over negative emphasis analysis on a decent/solid o-line performance and basically ignoring  Bad Tackling/3rd down performance by the D.    Same story this week.

It's preseason so I'm taking things at face value and trying not to project or give benefits.   O-line while not perfect ISN'T the story in the first 2 games in the preseason.    Sure, in reality they maybe when the real season starts but Defense is the negative story so far, IMO.

As usual, I'm not a coach so I have no idea what I'm talking about.  1 good positive from the D is the opposing offense has to run a shit ton of plays to score.   You got about 32 plays in 3 drives.

Synopsis:   Inconsistent and better LB play needed.    I think I've noticed good D-line play with missed tackles by them but with no LBs to clean up to prevent gains.   

First Drive -

1- Counter Trey action pulling Linemen and TE to the left.  Bengals seal end nicely.  MJ great penetration, missed tackle.   No LB to clean up Minter over ran the play and got blocked as the back cuts up 4 yards.

2 - Shotgun, Read Option, Give,  Tackles get free release up on the backers.   4 yards

3 - 3rd down, Shotgun Read Option, Give, Tackles get free release up on the backer - First Down

4 - Fake End Around, inside trap, Burfict and Vigil fill nicely - 3 yard

5 - Shot gun, Bengals walk up safety, force Adjustment,  Blitz Safety,  Minter on Kelce #87.   Great Rush by MJ up the middle,  Safety Blitz ineffective.  Big Gain to TE #87 with Minter in coverage,  Williams coming over from 1/3 coverage.

6 - Shot gun, Bengals blitz, Rush 5, Drop MJ coverage,  Blitz Vigil and Williams.  Vigil misses sack.  Scramble - no gain or little gain.

7 - Shot gun, Bengals bring Safety Blitz, Rush 5, Ball out quick to RB, Burfict late to cover - 6 yards

8 - Shot gun, Rush 5 with A gap Blitz.  Burfict tripped or was tripped, not sure.  Vigil locked 1 on 1 with back had to fight through the Muck as the back darts for the flat.   Bad Angle by Vigil,  Blitz and pressure force quick throw to Back and first down.   Chris Smith gets a hit on the QB.

9 - Under Center,  stretch run, holding of Vigil

10 - Shot gun, Blitz CB and Burfict, Drop Dunlap.   Effective Blitz.   Dunlap right in throwing lane.  Incomplete.

11 - Shot gun, Rush 4, Dump to back,  DQuez misses tackle, Burfict clean up.   Missed tackle adds 3to 5 yards extra.

12 - Shot gun , Rush 4,  good rush forces throw underneath before endzone - settle for FG attempt.

Second Drive - after bad punt

1st  - Under Center- Stretch Run, Billings penetration, misses tackle.   Burfict fills quickly to take on FB.  Minter over runs and RB cuts behind OL and Off to the races.

2 - Shot gun, Show A gap blitz, force Adj by QB, Blitz Double A, Drop MJ,  Effective blitz, Ball is out quick.  MJ can't make play on TE,  Gain 7.

3 - Shot Gun, Show Single A gap Blitz with Burfict, Counter action.  Vigil sucked up into the muck.  RB bounces.  MJ/Williams no edge se.   Big hit by Williams lands on his arm injured elbow

4 - Under Center,  Great Read by Burfict.  Sims slashes underneath blocks.  Burfict and Sims stuff for no gain.

5 - Under Center, Play Action.  Dump to FB out in flat.  Burfict in coverage, tackles but not before First Down.   This was a great call in response to Burfict's quick read the play before. 

6 - Under Center, Good D-line push.  no gain.  Minter tackles

7 - Shot gun, Rush 4, good coverage, better throw.   TD to the TE.

Third Drive - Mahomes takes over.

1- Under Center,  Weakside run opposite two TEs.  Clark doesn't hold edge, Shaw runs into block.  Minter can't make play.  Off to the races.

2 - Under Center, drop back to pass, good rush by Billings and Willis.   Bad throw, missed pick 6 by Vigil.

3 - Shot gun, good rush of 4.   QB scrambles 4 yards.

4 - 3RD DOWN!  Shot gun,  Show double A gap blitz,  Rush 5,  drop LB,  Get caught in a screen.  Off to the races.  Vigil does nice job of hustle to slow - First Down

5 - Shot Gun, Quick WR pass, 9 yards.  Great Hustle by Billings to make play while rushing then tackle on 9 yard gain on sidelines.    Very Tim Krumrie like.   Impressive play by him.

6 - Under center, Counter Trey action.  Great play by Vigil dive over block.   Minter cleans up.

7 - Shot gun, 3RD DOWN!,  Rush 5,  DQuez on Hill respects speed, no Jam.   Hill runs him off and curls in front.  First down.   Chris Smith gets hit on QB.

8 - End around - 1st down

9 - Under Center, Good push by Billings and Glasgow.   Gilberry misses tackle.   LBs clean up - 2 yards.

10 - Shot gun, Rush 4.  Willis Pressure missed sack.  QB scrambles to the 2 yard line. 

11 - Shot gun, Read Option, Gives, D-Line stuff

12 - Offside Glasgow.  Billings great push.

13 - Under Center - Play Action, Blown Coverage on Backside TE - TOUCHDOWN.

Like always,  I was hopeful this year's FA LB addition would have a greater positive impact vs. a snaps eater.    Doesn't look that way.

Definitely need to get their run fits together.     While the D-line could have made some more plays made.  They've missed sacks and tackles for no gain.   When the ball carrier gets past the D-line it's alarming the number of yards gained afterward.

Usually halted momentum results in pursuit cleaning up more plays.    It's been a glaring negative in both preseason games.