Fake Game 1: Bucs @ Bengals

HoosierCat

Not great but not bad.

Oline mostly held up. Still iffy in spots like Ced and Bodine but Fisher was ok, Hopkins was solid and even Westerman showed up.

Saw hints of a pass rush. Are coaches ready to move on from Clarke and mj?

Mixon flashed. Carson picked up where he left off last preseason.

Dennard continues not to impress.

Start Driskel!

O-line was dominant at times throughout the game easily the biggest positive for me.  Not sure who they were blocking but they removed Buc front 7 defenders off the line and out of gaps to allow for cuts by the RBs. 

Ball came out quick most of the time so pass pro they did nothing bad and a lot of good but that's still to be tested,IMO. 

Sustaining blocks is the big negative for them. 

To further bolster the o-line the biggest negative constantly reported in camp was Bengals d-line whooping up on them in one on ones.   Bengals d-line got tons of pressure over Buc o-line.   Although LBs and D-line/LBs couldn't finish the plays. 

Biggest negative was the tackling.  3rd down performance.   Buc QBs only had problems when being hit or WR dropping the ball.  LBs have to clean up plays a lot faster when your D-line is attacking like that. 

Jackson looked good, I'm happy to see him finally play.  Mixon looked great.  Thrilled with that pick.  

Ougbuhei did completely whiff on a run play right when Bad Brad Johansson and Munoz were praising him, as pointed out by Hoosier.  If Ross can get healthy and be as advertised, we've really got some new exciting players.  

All the more pressure on Alexander and our tackles.  Really the heart of the matter right there.

Hey AMPHAR, from where I was sitting (I admit to being distracted at times) it didn't appear there was much pressure being put on the Tampa Bay QB from our D-line at all.  Only several instances through the game I can really recall and next to none from the starters.  I will happy to be wrong and thought I would ask further because I know you tend to pay greater attention.

11 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Hey AMPHAR, from where I was sitting (I admit to being distracted at times) it didn't appear there was much pressure being put on the Tampa Bay QB from our D-line at all.  Only several instances through the game I can really recall and next to none from the starters.  I will happy to be wrong and thought I would ask further because I know you tend to pay greater attention.

Both teams took advantage of soft coverage and got the ball out quick.,IMO.   I felt our ends except MJ could take them off the edge at anytime.   I know they chipped on Lawson at least once. 

NFL game pass doesn't give coaches film for preseason but there wasn't much pressure early but I attribute that to Winston getting the ball out. 

While I think our o-line did well and was a positive.  I was hoping for some  3rd and longs so they could be tested.   Will have to wait on that.  

I saw a lot of positives in this game....in no particular order except the number 1 item:

1) Oogie didn't suck. I repeat, he didn't suck. He wasn't great, not by any stretch of the imagination, but he wasnt gawdawful. and that is HUGE for this team. On a related note, it was great that he was kept in through the entire first half, where a starter normally would only play a series or two. He needs snaps. And he got them.

2) Mixon looks like he matches up with the hype. Pray the guy stays out of trouble, as I expect he will be named the starter no later than game 6 as long as he can pass block a little. I expect in the remaining games we will see him kept in to block quite a bit to determine if he can, even though we all want to see him with the ball in his hands

3) I am in LOVE with DE Chris Smith. He makes this team and will play a lot on 3rd down. If he can stop the run, he will supplant Johnson by the end of the year. Only cost us a r7 (conditional? yes. but the condition will be met and then some) pick, but gave performance like a late r1 or early r2 pick. Outstanding. When will Florida-based teams get tired of us taking on their discarded DEs and turning them into contributors?

4) I know Stringbean Malone had the td catch, but Erickson showed me that he needs to stay. I dont get the talk of letting go the number 2 kick returner in the league. Thats just crazy.

5) Does the "trade Driskel for a 1" hype start now? *grin* I know, I know - too little, too early - but that was a truly excellent performance for a 3rd stringer, period. Sure, he was playing against scrubs....but his receivers and blockers were also scrubs. Evens out. Shake and Blake part 2? We'll see

6) Didn't even notice the much-hyped, talk-of-the-camp Lawson. Stats say he had 2 pressures in 11 snaps, which is great, but I didn't notice the guy. Maybe a much-heralded rookie defender needs more than 11 snaps in a preseason game, eh? C'mon Marvin.

7) Good to see Hopkins make the most of what otherwise would be his very last stint with the Bengals. I think he makes a team, hopefully ours, but will catch on elsewhere if not.

8) We need some help at corner. We have a treasure trove of WRs, so please trade one of them not named Adriel Jeremiah for a decent CB, please.

9) Billings did not look good. Let's hope one of the other DTs not named Atkins steps up to the plate.

10) There is a decent chance that both of our kickers start this year. One starts for us, while the other starts for Tampa Bay.

The one thing I really and truly hated was seeing Adam Jones being used as a kick punt returner.

Regular season: love it. He's great punt returner

Preseason: hey-hey-hey-hated it. Bigtime. You need to see if other players can return punts. Preseason is the time to find that out. That, and the last thing we need with how thin we are at corner is to lose our most experienced one to an injury sustained on a meaningless preseason punt return

Please please PLEASE dont do that again

8 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

The one thing I really and truly hated was seeing Adam Jones being used as a kick returner.

Regular season: love it. He's great punt returner

Preseason: hey-hey-hey-hated it. Bigtime. You need to see if other players can return punts. Preseason is the time to find that out. That, and the last thing we need with how thin we are at corner is to lose our most experienced one to an injury sustained on a meaningless preseason punt return

Please please PLEASE dont do that again

Couldn't agree more. Why take chances?

With such nice words, I decided to do a Tale of the tape for the 1st series.    Disclaimer:  I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about and to make things more difficult NFL Game Pass does not include Endzone view for preseason.   Which, IMO, makes evaluation very difficult.  Tremendous difference from End zone and blimp view vs. TV.

Buc 1st Drive:

Synopsis Overall:  Some pressure in spots,  soft coverage, Bad tackling giving up more yards.  Poor edge setting.  Minter slow to react in Zone coverage.  

Play 1 - PA, rollout, Pressure by Dunlap,  pass complete,  broken tackle allows for about an extra 7 yards.

Play 2 - Atkins penetrates deep.  Dunlap doesn't hold edge, RB breaks Atkins tackle,  LBs blocked

Play 3 - Minor pressure, got a minor bump on Winston.   Evans vs Quez.   Maybe a pushoff, maybe not.   No call big play over Quez by Evans.

Play 4 - Dunlap penetrates deep.  RB Bounces, good pursuit, small/no gain

Play 5 - Quick Throw,  MJ pushed down,  No pressure by Bengals D-line, Bucs completion in front of Minter.  Basic run up turn around in front of defender.  Minter flat footed, IMO.

Play 6 - 3rd and short, convert by inches, Buc First Down

Play 7 - No pressure.  MJ pushed down again.  #84 running through zone, Minter in hot pursuit again.  Bucs First down

Play 8 - Counter action, good hold little gain

Play 9 - Safety #42 cuts underneath edge block, destroying contain.  RB bounces.   Willie Jack saves the day.  Minter pursuing cleans it up for 2 yard gain.   WJ's effort stopped a 10+ yard gain.

Play 10 - Buc Drop.  Basic run pattern underneath zone.

Play 11 - Pressure by Lawson.   Winston scrambles finds Evans.  Zone Coverage ran off deep.

Play 12 minor run stopped short of endzone

Plays 13 and 14 Evans vs. Pac.   Mano y Mano.   Pac Man treated Evans like a late night on duty Police officer after a few cocktails. 

Bengals 1st Drive:

Synopsis Overall: Solid drive.   Bengals like to run Zone runs and the Backs and Line were in sync both Hill and Mixon.  Good push by O-line.   Pass pro never really tested.  Dalton command on the offense.   1 good play by Bucs DB robs them of points.

Play 1 -  Hill bounces outside after DE jumps inside Ced,  DE sealed to edge 1 or 2 yard gain

Play 2 - Screen to Green off PA to Hill - First Down

Play 3 Ced good 2nd level block, cleared path for Hill.   Fisher and #66 good push.  Bodine questionable push but nice gain.  Good work Hill and Ced.

Play 4 Big Hole, Big gain.   Buc defenders pushed out of areas of responsibility.   Fisher might have given up too much ground.

Play 5 Good push again,  Mixon 4 yards.

Play 6 - Quick pass,  AJ/Dalton hook up.

Play 7 Ced sucks.  Beat outside, loss.

Play 8 Quick pass, Eifert 4 yards.   Just cutting underneath a zone.

Play 9 Bucs Offside.   Would have been nice to see protection on 3rd and 8 but that cut it down.

Play 10 Quick Throw, catch to LaFell - First down

Play 11 - Shot Gun, Zone Read action,  great 2nd level blocks

Play 12 - Good push - makes it 3rd and 2.

Play 13 - Int.  Poop.    Would have liked  to see another run up there.   Considering how well they were doing and difficult it was last year to run inside the red zone for this team at times.