Our O-line

combatbengal

2 hours ago, membengal said:

I get your cynacism, but I am guessing that's conditioning, and probably appropriate for them to work him in. It is just training camp. 

Likely true, but Andre getting hurt is as predictable as the sun rising in the east. Hard not to laugh through the tears.

Hobs, from his notes own yesterday's practice:

Andre Smith, who missed most of last season with a triceps injury, began practice at right guard but left shortly with ice on his elbow and it doesn’t look its related. Smith sat out Monday, so he missed three out of the first five practices as he tries to make the adjustment from right tackle to right guard for the first time in his life …

Moobs isn't going to make the team at this rate.

34 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

well, that's a good thing to hear. In August.

Not.

Find them?  You drafted them.  

Alexander: "I'm out here lookin' for football players!  Who are these stiffs?  Never seen these dudes before in my life!"

Position coach subtly distances himself from his personnel.  Doesn't want ownership.  

At practice:

Alexander:  "I'm lookin' for football players!  Who wants a job?"

Hulking Individual approaches: "Right here coach Alexander.  I want a job, I'm ready."

Alexander: "Who the hell are you?  Are you the right guy?"

Hulking Individual:  "It's me coach, Christian Westerman.  I'm ready!"

Alexander: "Never heard of you.  Name doesn't ring a bell."

Hulking Individual: "You drafted me in the fifth round last year.  You coached me all last season."

Alexander: turn around, begins yelling, "Who wants to play football?  Who's gonna be in the next five?  Help wanted!  Lookin' for players!"

Hobs:

PLAY OF THE DAY: With 11 seconds left and the first offense on the outskirts of the red zone needing a touchdown, rookie right end/SAM backer Carl Lawson showed exactly how special he can be. With the defense hollering that left tackle Cedric Ogbuehi moved early, Lawson still beat him cleanly on a blur-fast rush courtesy  of violent hands that tore right through Ogbuehi to end it all very quickly. Lawson received congratulations as he came to the triumphant defense on the sideline. When quarterback Andy Dalton ran over to the sideline he crossed paths with Lawson and gave him a “good job,” pat on the back.

Lawson made life tough on Ogbuehi Friday. Ogbuehi has held up most of camp, but he also had a false start in another drive. Lawson will do that to you. The operative reaction from Lawson’s teammate is, “That kid is going to be good.”

But Lawson wasn’t the only pressure point Friday. The backup offensive line really struggled, as did the first line, and that meant the Bengals quarterbacks ran for their lives much of the evening.

Hoo boy. Hopefully this is just a sign that our dline is stud-laden and Lawson is a future Hall of Famer. Or, y'know...

The group had played pretty well until Friday night, when the all three units were stunned in allowing double-digit sacks on about 50 plays.

Just can't see them being a playoff caliber o-line.  Despite the upside, they have the very real potential to be one of the worst in the league.  Starting to see signs of that already.  I'm sure some of the day one RB's/WR's/TE's will make them look good at times though, and sell some tickets/jerseys.

$18.7 million. That's the bengals' current cap space. And there's about $10 million they could free up in MJ and Pacman. And oh yeah, the $3 million they'll spend on Moobs.

But Whit and KZ were just too expensive...

(I know, I know, dead horse comma beating a. Still pisses me off.)

I have to hand it to Hobson. When it comes to spin, he's the freaking king. From today's Trey Hopkins piece:

It turns out that keeping Hopkins is one of those obscure, smart moves that makes rosters good. He’s more than survived. Two drafted offensive linemen from 2013, Tanner Hawkinson and Reid Fragel, aren’t here. As the No. 6, that puts him ahead of the last two fifth-rounders, Christian Westerman and rookie J.J. Dielman.

I call your attention to that first sentence. An obscure, smart move that makes rosters good? Hey, you know what would have been a non-obscure, super-smart move that would have made the roster even better?

How about NOT wasting actual draft picks on junk like Hawkinson and Fragel? And by all appearances now, Westerman?

How about not trading up for one of the worst starting centers in the league in 2014?

How about not spending first AND second round picks on two tackles in 2015, one of whom looks like a complete bust and the other might be meh?

But no no no, the Bengals are smart because the kept Trey Hopkins!

Aye-yi-yi...

22 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Hobs:

Hoo boy. Hopefully this is just a sign that our dline is stud-laden and Lawson is a future Hall of Famer. Or, y'know...

Yikes, our worst fears realized.  Denying reality works great in February, March, April, etc.  tough when August rolls around, even tougher when the regular season gets here.

From the sound of it the tackles are struggling really really bad. The fact they did nothing to get better, or he'll keep there best guys on the o-line still pisses me off. 

Sounds like a lot of talent on offense, that will have no time because the tackles can't block anyone. Sounds so fun to watch I can't wait!!!

I still think there are options (although not great) that would present an upgrade to what we have.
If not an upgrade by in large, at least someone that hasn't sucked with every chance given.

Oher is still out there recovering from a concussion.
Brandon Albert could be had for a Snickers bar.
Zuttah was just released by the 49er's after going to the pro bowl in 2016.

While I understand this isn't the cream of the crop, all three are far more experienced than what we have.
The front offices insistence on sticking with guys they drafted when they've shown very little is frustrating as well.
Just waste all the talent and potential of the rest of the offense.

God. Damned. Shame.