4th Round #2: Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee

HoosierCat

7 hours ago, GapControl said:

Lapham called it.  John Ross and another WR in late rounds...

Thank you Gap. I knew there was someone local but I couldn't remember where I saw it.

After that there were other reports but they were probably reporting what Lap was reporting.

There's certainly going to be an odd man out but we always talk about improving the roster and creating competition. Well now we have it. This should be an interesting position battle in camp.

My guess I'd Ericsson is the odd player out. Ducks but he's limited to slot (Boyd) or St returner (Jones, Ross, Gio). We have solid players who can do what he does, so it's my prediction he's in trouble, no matter how well he returned in pre-season. 

Malone could bring more to the intermediate and deep routes/red zone than Core, so Core is another guy who's possibly on the edge, too. 

Improving the team, making the sausage, isn't always happy feels but it should pay off of on Sundays and in January. 

Erickson was one of the best KR in the AFC last season, of course the Bengals r going to cut him.  Core was turning into a playmaker at the end of the season, so let's move on to the next rookie and hope he can become a playmaker by the end of the season.

we will be lucky if Ross sees significant playing, without an injury, before the 9-10 game

Lets be honest.  We should consider ourselves lucky to see players without injuries before week 9-10.
Ross put up stellar numbers and that 4.22 speed AFTER he had his surgeries.

It was said here before and I agree with the thought wholeheartedly:
Ross is a very good WR that happens to have speed, not a very fast WR trying to learn the position.

You want a guy to get open quick due to the lack of o-line blocking ??  Ross.
You want a guy to take the top off a defense and keep them from stacking 8 in the box ??  Ross
You want a guy whose very presence will also loosen things up in the running game ??  Ross

LaFell and Boyd (I like both of these guys) do not scare anyone with their speed.  ANYONE.
Ross isn't replacing those guys, he's an added part.  A VERY GOOD added part that this team has lacked.

I'm going to be real honest and admit that the picks of Ross and Mixon have me excited about this team again.
Does that mean i'm going to show up at the stadium more than I planned ??  Probably not.
However, I will be tuning in to see how things work their way out.

One last thought.  For those claiming the window has closed, Ross and Mixon help keep it open.

• Like 1

Oops, forgot this was the Josh Malone thread when talking about Ross and Mixon.
That being said, I still don't hate the Malone pick.  Maybe it's because I was expecting it.

Again, had this been me, I would have gone with an OT prospect at that spot and waited on the WR.
I was pimping the LT from Bucknell in my mock Julie'n Davenport and he was there for the picking.
Really surprised he wasn't the selection honestly as the Bengals took an interest in him.

On 4/29/2017 at 7:21 PM, ArmyBengal said:

There were plenty of reports saying the Bengals were going to double up on the WR position. We don't have to like it but it was coming. Maybe we don't know something else that's going on in that group. At least he's big, fast, and was productive.

Tough group...

Well with the injury concerns with Ross with the chance he starts on pup makes even more sense.But even if Ross stays healthy starts season if he ends up being best 3rd or 4th option will it really be a problem?

PS that's if the OLine can protect Andy long enough to throw the ball

On 5/1/2017 at 1:22 AM, Kazkal said:

I just hope if Oline doesn't get their shit together that next year will be the year we rebuild it hopefully under a new Oline coach 

I'm almost done building my alternate reality machine.  I'll get with you when it's finished.

14 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Where has anyone written that Ross could start the year on the PUP ??
Not being funny, I just haven't seen it and would like to read more.

I think it's speculation and I believe it's him starting TC on the PUP vs. starting the season on PUP.    Which are two very different things.

A lot of players start TC on PUP and come off quickly as they pass physicals.   Starting the season on PUP as we know wipes out a lot of games.

Ross having surgery and currently rehab puts him at risk for being on PUP starting TC, especially due to Washington's school schedule which prevents him from being at mini-camps until June so the Bengals will not have too much information they can evaluate themselves.

42 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I think it's speculation and I believe it's him starting TC on the PUP vs. starting the season on PUP.    Which are two very different things.

A lot of players start TC on PUP and come off quickly as they pass physicals.   Starting the season on PUP as we know wipes out a lot of games.

Ross having surgery and currently rehab puts him at risk for being on PUP starting TC, especially due to Washington's school schedule which prevents him from being at mini-camps until June so the Bengals will not have too much information they can evaluate themselves.

Ross had labrum surgery on March 14th, so he should be ready for TC barring a setback, of which there's no news. 

I don't think he will start on PUP, unless it's specifically intended to protect him for the regular season. I'm not as concerned as others based on his position. If he was a linebacker or on the line, then maybe it'd be a concern. It's not like he takes heavy hits.