3rd Round: Jordan Willis, DE, Kansas State

HoosierCat

4 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Best center taken by Zim three picks ahead of Cincy. Somewhere, TJ weeps...

Yep

this was the best pick of the lot, but this guy is taken too far down to matter - stiff hips, poor athletic specimen, effort guy with low ceiling.  This is a mediocre pick at a time when a great pick was needed, especially after the useless waste of the first two picks

This is shaping up to be the worst Bengals draft of all time

4 hours ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

I don't see the love for this draft.  Hope I'm wrong, but I see a reach in the first a reclamation in the second and a project in the third.

none of them help our number 1 week position of OL

2017 looks like a lost cause 

There was never any oline help coming in this draft, because it's a terrible draft for the position, especially tackles. This is part of why Whit got such a crazy deal, and all of why not going to the mat for either him or KZ is the team's biggest error this offseason.

But here's the thing: they can get away with a weak oline. They have for years. The oline has always been over-rated in the Dalton era. It's deficiencies are masked by the system, which relies on pre-snap reads and getting the ball out of the QBs hands in under 2 seconds. The oline doesn't have to be more than a speed bump.

But to make this work you need two things. One, a QB who can execute the pre-snap read, quickly assess whether he was right or wrong post-snap, and deliver the ball. It took Andy a couple years, but he was there by 2015 and was on course for a deep run until the Steelers stomped his hand. Two, you need receivers, backs and ends who can get open quickly. We lost all that after 2015. Last season Sanu was gone, Jones was gone, and Eifragile and Gio got hurt. The result was that the ball didn't come out quickly and Dalton got dumped 50-some times, more than he had in the previous two seasons combined. And that was a line with Whit and KZ. Again, without the weapons on the receiving end, the system doesn't work.

so I like what they've done. In the absence of good oline prospects, they've chosen to rebuild the offensive skill spots. It's really their only choice, given the circumstances. How well it works will depend on how fast the new picks can sync up with the rest of the offense, and whether the current oline can get to "speed bump" quality. I think both are doable but unfortunately will take time and I don't think the schedule is kind this year. Throw in the likelihood of injury wrenches (Moobs and Eifert get hurt taking pregame dumps, Gio and Ross are coming off injury, Green's 50/50 to miss a few games every season, etc) and I agree 2017 isn't likely to be a good year. I think they are doing the best the can this draft, but are paying the price for two years of bad FA decisions. Last year they let two top wideouts go in a weak draft year for receivers, this year they let two top oline players go in a weak year for oline. So it goes in Cincy.

• Like 2

Despite this being a "terrible year for oline" in terms of the draft, our line is so very poor that there were several prospects who could have helped this year.  Right out of the gate. 

But we choose missiles without having a launcher.

again - gawdawful

Go watch the film on this 3rd round DE and you'll wish we had retained Margus

6 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Despite this being a "terrible year for oline" in terms of the draft, our line is so very poor that there were several prospects who could have helped this year.  Right out of the gate. 

But we choose missiles without having a launcher.

again - gawdawful

Go watch the film on this 3rd round DE and you'll wish we had retained Margus

Uh, no. Totally disagree. Hunt was simply not good at football. Willis has instinct and skills. 

• 1 month later...