1st Round: John Ross, WR, Washington

HoosierCat

We just signed Lafell for two more years, I just don't see the need.  I keep mentioning Boyd because I think he's great.  

We had 3 solid starters.  We can't say that about some other positions.  

I guess it comes down to drafting BPA or drafting for need.  We went BPA.  

What they do in the next 3 rounds could make this pick look great.

Definitely BPA not need.   This won't be AJ Green walk in and become the baddest motherfucker in the league by week 3.   At least I don't think so.

Snaps and Targets are going to have to be earned in his rookie season.   Possible special teams return action.

Going forward it really protects them from a loss of Eifert's production IF he leaves via FA or finds his way to the IR again.

IF all these guys pan out it's going to be spread the ball and noone over produces kinda like it was in 2015.

3 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Definitely BPA not need.   This won't be AJ Green walk in and become the baddest motherfucker in the league by week 3.   At least I don't think so.

Snaps and Targets are going to have to be earned in his rookie season.   Possible special teams return action.

Going forward it really protects them from a loss of Eifert's production IF he leaves via FA or finds his way to the IR again.

IF all these guys pan out it's going to be spread the ball and noone over produces kinda like it was in 2015.

This also protects against another drop off if Green gets nicked. 

So much upside here. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, COB said:

We just signed Lafell for two more years, I just don't see the need.  I keep mentioning Boyd because I think he's great.  

We had 3 solid starters.  We can't say that about some other positions.  

I guess it comes down to drafting BPA or drafting for need.  We went BPA.  

What they do in the next 3 rounds could make this pick look great.

Lafell is serviceable, at best, if I am being kind, opposite AJ, and doesn't threaten teams AT ALL. Ross is a whole different factor on the field. Boyd is fine, but he is only slot, and doesn't stretch anything or take any heat off AJ. Teams will actually have to gameplan for how to deal with Ross and Green now, along with Eifert. For too long last year, that was clearly not an issue for opposing defenses. We are so much better going into 2017 now than last year it is almost funny. And, really, because it matters, legit 4.22 speed in a football player. That is genuinely difference making. 

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

He will be able to impact special teams and he can could carve out a small offensive package with just his speed.   

He's the Bengals 1st round selection and the 9th pick overall therefore I'm hoping he'll go straight into the WR role and not need Specials to gain snaps nor playing time.

• Like 1

More on his route running coming into the NFL:

Ross demonstrated a keen ability to sell college defenders on his intentions to head down the field before snapping back to the quarterback. He earned above average success rates on curls and comebacks while breaking off his routes at a 90-degree angle on either the out, dig or flat pattern.

A surface level evaluation of John Ross’ game, largely due to his size, will bring undeserved questions. His high success rates at all levels of the route tree hint at a deeper ability than just that of a vertical threat, and a demonstrated ability to defeat press coverage adds another layer of optimism. We often take size and extrapolate it a wide receivers’ attributes without confirming it on their game film. Assuming Ross cannot get off the jam due to his frame, he would fall under that umbrella. His 73.2 percent success rate vs. press coverage falls along the 78th percentile and a top-five score in this draft class.

Ross separates early in his routes with detailed route running and shoves the dagger in the defense with his unmatched speed. There’s no debate such a player will grab a prominent role in a passing game starved fro difference makers like the Bengals. His separation scores across the route tree offer hope that he can not only be a longtime No. 2 wide receiver for the Bengals, but also has the ability to grow into a 1B type of wide receiver along the T.Y. Hilton end of the speed receiver archetype in his range of outcomes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kingwilly said:

This also protects against another drop off if Green gets nicked. 

So much upside here. 

This is an underappreciated point. Green has only played one complete season in the last three years, and turns 29 in July. There's at least a fair chance Green misses some time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...