1st Round: John Ross, WR, Washington

HoosierCat

Horrendously bad pick - just gawdawful, and for so many reasons

Number one thing you need in a player - availability.  This kid will never play a full season.  Period.  Please make sure his locker is the second closest to the trainers office, one locker further out than Eiferts

WR is arguably our strongest position group.  He wont play even on the rare occasions when he is healthy

Speed WR?  So you're planning on throwing deep, right?  Who is protecting Dalton long enough for that to happen, exactly?  My dead gramma can protect Dalton longer than any of the ham-n-eggers we have left

The pick should have been - yes - you knew it was coming - a lineman

R2 pick must be a lineman.  I am split on DE or OT but since we just got ourselves a track man who we somehow figure will actually see real-game snaps, I guess this forces us to go OL

• Like 1

TJ, I'm sorry you are so negative on him. I think he will surprise everyone. He's a very polished WR, not just a 9 route guy. He's more like an Antonio Brown than a guy like Will Fuller. 

The Oline is a weakness but there are many players still to be had. You just can't skip rare speed like this. Speed kills. It kills. Kills. 

Take Lamp or Feeny in r2, or Malik McDowell or Willis the K state DE. Or grab Mixon in r2, then Antonio Garcia in r3, then take Moton in r4.

Point is, there's tons of actual talent in this draft. Plenty to be had. Relax, enjoy having instant death speed now on the team. Think of how he will open up things for Green, Boyd, Eifert and the run game. 

Speed kills dead. 

I'm very happy with the Ross pick. Hopefully the Bengals (on) crack medical team have executed due diligence with any injury issues. 

Totally agree with TJ about the Oline buying enough time for WRs to get open but the draft ain't over yet.

I'm keeping positive till it's all done and dusted  :grin:

7 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Horrendously bad pick - just gawdawful, and for so many reasons

Number one thing you need in a player - availability.  This kid will never play a full season.  Period.  Please make sure his locker is the second closest to the trainers office, one locker further out than Eiferts

WR is arguably our strongest position group.  He wont play even on the rare occasions when he is healthy

Speed WR?  So you're planning on throwing deep, right?  Who is protecting Dalton long enough for that to happen, exactly?  My dead gramma can protect Dalton longer than any of the ham-n-eggers we have left

The pick should have been - yes - you knew it was coming - a lineman

R2 pick must be a lineman.  I am split on DE or OT but since we just got ourselves a track man who we somehow figure will actually see real-game snaps, I guess this forces us to go OL

I was going to write a post, but I would just be saying the same thing TJ has already written.

11 minutes ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

I was going to write a post, but I would just be saying the same thing TJ has already written.

He's overwrought. Let's look at TJ's points.

He'll never be healthy. Based on what? Yup, he missed one year with an ACL tear. Stuff happens. In his other three years he missed a grand total of one game.

WR corps is deep. Bullshit. We've got a Green and a bunch of guys who can't get open on a regular basis. The O scored almost a TD less per game last season and Andy got sacked to hell and back because there was no one open to throw to. Ross will be 20 yards downfield in the time it takes for Bodine to snap the ball.

Oline can't protect long enough. They don't have to. That's the point.

They should have picked a lineman. Who? This draft sucks for oline. The first tackle went at 32. We were at 9.

If Ross would have just been damn fast instead of holy shit fast he probably would be seen more for his football abilities.   People see the record 40 and they just lump him into bucket with the former track stars that were trying to parlay their speed into NFL dollars. 

No better example of this than Will Fuller who can burn but not 4.2.   So people evaluated him more a receiver and many pundits would have applauded that selection last year for the Bengals.   Ross is a better football prospect than Fuller and he's faster. 

Injuries are a concern.   I do think he'll have to fight for snaps among the WR core.   He will be able to impact special teams and he can could carve out a small offensive package with just his speed.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

People see the record 40 and they just lump him into bucket with the former track stars that were trying to parlay their speed into NFL dollars. 

That's true, that's a significant portion of how I look at him.  Hope I'm wrong, though.

I guess I will be THAT guy:

1. He's not "just" a speed guy - he is a polished route runner and has ability to get open quickly short as well as go long. So teams have to respect him at both levels and he should come already able to run the full route tree.

2. We can't block shit up front, but there was NO ONE available at 9 that we should have taken for o-line. Would have been a laughable reach to do so. So how do you help best a shaky line? How about make it REALLY hard for teams to go more than seven in the box? How about make them think twice about blitzing? Yes? Because a guy with Ross's speed opposite AJ Green with Tyler Eifert on the field and Boyd in the slot means that teams can't easily load up in the box. At least they will have to think twice about it. And Ross's ability to get open quickly short will further take pressure off the line.

3. Not sure why COB keeps mentioning Boyd. Ross isn't a pure slot guy, Boyd is (Ross CAN play slot, but he can line up anywhere - Boyd is simply a slot guy). And Boyd is a glacier compared to Ross in terms of speed.

4. He's a football player, who happens to be fast as shit, not a fast guy who's trying to play football. He spent his first few years as DB, before becoming a wide receiver. Speaks to his understanding of the field and his toughness. 

5. Since the team cleared him and his shoulder and said he will be ready for camp, I will take them at their word. I want him in a full camp, and assuming they are right, no health issues from me. In fact, that shoulder? He played the entire year last year with the torn labrum...so...that speaks pretty fucking highly of his toughness and willingness to be on the field ( I am a health-is-a-skill person). 

6. His size doesn't bother me. Not in a league where i have had to watch Antonio Brown and Steve Smith torch people. And Victor Cruz. Etc. Opposite AJ Green, I don't think Ross is going to see a lot of double teams anyway. And if a physical corner tries to body him off the line, they better pray they don't miss.

7. Saw on twitter last night, in Bengals last 40 games they have scored 23 or more points they are 37-1-2. Crosses my mind that they need to make sure they have given themselves as much of an opportunity to score that many then as they can. Last year, without Marvin Jones in particular, they were stuck in mud as an offense. Ross helps fix that right away. 

So, to sum up, thrilled that they pulled the trigger on this. Makes them better from the jump (assuming they are not lying and/or wrong about his shoulder recovery), and gives me legit hope for 2017.

Have at it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, membengal said:

I guess I will be THAT guy:

1. He's not "just" a speed guy - he is a polished route runner and has ability to get open quickly short as well as go long. So teams have to respect him at both levels and he should come already able to run the full route tree.

2. We can't block shit up front, but there was NO ONE available at 9 that we should have taken for o-line. Would have been a laughable reach to do so. So how do you help best a shaky line? How about make it REALLY hard for teams to go more than seven in the box? How about make them think twice about blitzing? Yes? Because a guy with Ross's speed opposite AJ Green with Tyler Eifert on the field and Boyd in the slot means that teams can't easily load up in the box. At least they will have to think twice about it. And Ross's ability to get open quickly short will further take pressure off the line.

3. Not sure why COB keeps mentioning Boyd. Ross isn't a pure slot guy, Boyd is (Ross CAN play slot, but he can line up anywhere - Boyd is simply a slot guy). And Boyd is a glacier compared to Ross in terms of speed.

4. He's a football player, who happens to be fast as shit, not a fast guy who's trying to play football. He spent his first few years as DB, before becoming a wide receiver. Speaks to his understanding of the field and his toughness. 

5. Since the team cleared him and his shoulder and said he will be ready for camp, I will take them at their word. I want him in a full camp, and assuming they are right, no health issues from me. In fact, that shoulder? He played the entire year last year with the torn labrum...so...that speaks pretty fucking highly of his toughness and willingness to be on the field ( I am a health-is-a-skill person). 

6. His size doesn't bother me. Not in a league where i have had to watch Antonio Brown and Steve Smith torch people. And Victor Cruz. Etc. Opposite AJ Green, I don't think Ross is going to see a lot of double teams anyway. And if a physical corner tries to body him off the line, they better pray they don't miss.

7. Saw on twitter last night, in Bengals last 40 games they have scored 23 or more points they are 37-1-2. Crosses my mind that they need to make sure they have given themselves as much of an opportunity to score that many then as they can. Last year, without Marvin Jones in particular, they were stuck in mud as an offense. Ross helps fix that right away. 

So, to sum up, thrilled that they pulled the trigger on this. Makes them better from the jump (assuming they are not lying and/or wrong about his shoulder recovery), and gives me legit hope for 2017.

Have at it. 

100%. 

Total truth.