Rex to New England

3 minutes ago, BengalszoneBilly said:

Sexy Rexy just signed with New England. Wonderful...

Bugger. Would rather have given up hill than rex, watch him be properly utilised and become another success story for them. Wish him luck, this off season just keeps getting worse!

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Yup. Everyone saw it coming

I knew it was over when I heard he was heading to Foxboro for a look see. He totally fits the mold of players the Patriots like to sign. Relatively short, a bit pale in skin color, and lots of upside to his game. 

26 minutes ago, COB said:

He was demonstrably better than Hill.  You could see the burst that got him to the second level on plays that Hill would have been stopped cold at the line.  I'm mystified by this decision by the Bengals.  

Re-signing Rex would have cost more money than taking the woman-puncher in the 4th will. Mystery solved.

Rex was never used correctly here.  How does your leading slot WR from a playoff game, not get considered as an option again until two injuries to RB's.  He produced everytime he was asked, doing any job they asked.  Crap he lead the team in ST tackles last season.

Very big mistake was made when this team did not utilize his talents much earlier and now he will be the next scat back option for NE.

Good luck Rex, I finally have a Patriot that I can root for.

• Like 2

It's not a screw up.   They have 1 ball and draft well.  

AJ Green number of targets during Rex's time with the team was around 130.  That's on the low side.   It's a product of having several players capable and deserving of the ball.

The Patriots themselves have cycled through several productive backs over the years.  Including the infamous Danny Woodhead.   I'm sure Rex will do very well in their system but it's not like the Bengals weren't able to move the ball either while he was here.   When healthy they performed as a top 10 offense.

Patriots are notorious fantasy football criminals with RBs because you never know who is going to be the feature back from week to week.  

35 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

It's not a screw up.   They have 1 ball and draft well.  

AJ Green number of targets during Rex's time with the team was around 130.  That's on the low side.   It's a product of having several players capable and deserving of the ball.

The Patriots themselves have cycled through several productive backs over the years.  Including the infamous Danny Woodhead.   I'm sure Rex will do very well in their system but it's not like the Bengals weren't able to move the ball either while he was here.   When healthy they performed as a top 10 offense.

Patriots are notorious fantasy football criminals with RBs because you never know who is going to be the feature back from week to week.  

I see it as a screw up. 

Gio still rehabbing, Hill seemingly ineffective, and lots of unproven options to draft. 

Why let a proven, cheap insurance policy walk? That's called bad management, ie, a screw up. Hard to call it something else. 

I'll politely agree to disagree.  3.15 million is not a lot for a RB that has produced in your system.
Again, this would have bought them time to draft and or get an upgrade, but even that is an unknown to your system.
If they brought him back and draft a RB high, this greatly improves talent, while ensuring your depth.

Not like they couldn't come up with the 3.15 million by cutting some more dead weight that still resides on this team.
SCREW UP !!!

• 1 month later...

A little salt for the wound from PFT today.

At a time when teams across the NFL are showing little to no interest in most of the big-name running backs available in free agency, the Patriots have signed two running backs. And in doing so, they’ve shown they’re at the forefront of the analytics movement, even if they don’t like to say so.

Today the Patriots signed restricted free agent running back Mike Gillislee to an offer sheet that they hope the Bills won’t match, and previously the Patriots signed running back Rex Burkhead away from the Bengals. What do Gillislee and Burkhead have in common? The average fan may not know a lot about them, but the analytics people love them.

Analytics website FootballOutsiders.com ranked Gillislee as the most efficient running back in the NFL last year, and Burkhead as No. 2. Analytics website NumberFire also had Gillislee first and Burkhead second. Analyst Warren Sharp’s metrics had Gillislee first and Burkhead second in success rate, and Burkhead first and Gillislee second in the fewest “missed yards per attempt,” or how close they came to being successful on the plays that weren’t quite good enough to quality as successful.

The various analytics websites have slight differences in the way they rate players, but they all tend to support the same traits in a running back, namely consistently helping the team pick up first downs. Both Gillislee and Burkhead were excellent at picking up first downs last season, gaining first downs more than 30 percent of the time. Meanwhile, for all the focus on LeGarrette Blount and his 18 touchdowns last year, Blount picked up first downs on just 22.4 percent of his carries. The analytics models say Blount was actually a mediocre running back last year, and that may explain why the Patriots are willing to let Blount walk and turn their attention to Gillislee and Burkhead.

• 2 weeks later...