I'm just outraged with the Bengals lack of leadership!

combatbengal

Well Bengal Depression has set in in our house! Just received news that Denver signed Peko. Now I know there was a lot of fans out there that thought he was washed up a few years ago, and wanted him gone but the way I see it; he was a leader on and off the field, he came to play every single game and he produced for us! So, we lost two of our best offensive lineman, and now Peko. Oh and we lost Dansby too!  Leaders on both sides of the ball. I said it before and I’ll say it again, you can’t fix what we have broken with the draft and all we’ve done in FA is lose players. Next season is tanked! We are starting to look more and more like the Cleveland Browns organization. This sucks. I’m not motivated to watch the draft or any NFL next season- thank god, I’m not a season ticket holder! Other teams are using this Free agency period to improve their teams, Giants just boosted their wide receiver corps by signing Marshall! The Pats improved by signing Cook. The Panthers got Peppers back…. And the Bengals sign nobody from another team to help or improve the team!

We got Hardison, we got Billings - Peko wasn't producing on the field as he once did, just time to move on and let the new guys get some playing time.  Dansby can be equalled or improved upon. Whit and Zeitler will be missed but FA ain't over yet and we got a shitload of picks in the draft.

Nobody was happy with last season's and we all called for change. Now we're getting it.

3 minutes ago, Scottishbengal said:

We got Hardison, we got Billings - Peko wasn't producing on the field as he once did, just time to move on and let the new guys get some playing time.  Dansby can be equalled or improved upon. Whit and Zeitler will be missed but FA ain't over yet and we got a shitload of picks in the draft.

Nobody was happy with last season's and we all called for change. Now we're getting it.

With no outside guys so far, we will definitely see a younger team.

No, the Bengals weren't giving Zeitler what the Browns gave him and they said they didn't value the position.
I don't like that philosophy when you use a first round pick on that position, but it is what it is.

Peko ??  Loved him as a person and what he gave the Bengals, but it was abundantly clear his best days are in the past.
Most of us were irritated with the thought of him coming back in a "mentor" role, so this move is good by me from a football perspective.

Dansby ??  Seriously ??  If Vigil can't produce something comparable, something is wrong.

Whitworth is the one that stings.  Yeah, the Rams gave him more than what the Bengals would, but I think there's more to it.
Everything from how they handled the drafting of Ogboogie and Fisher, to flatly stating he was coming back to the Bengals this year.
Sure, we could point the finger in his direction (and we have at times) but there was no reason he went to the Rams who suck.
Unless of course he was just sick of the bullsh*t that comes from the Bengals.  That's where i'm placing my bet.

What's next ??
I'm just now to the point that thinking Moobs coming back would be a smart thing.  He visited the Bills, but they signed their own OT back.
The Bengals have said they have interest and at this point, they should.  If for nothing more than familiarity and improving depth.

The draft should be interesting, but I still have little faith in seeing the new guys get a shot at starting.

Count me as one of the folks that is glad Peko is gone.

I am honestly amazed he got that big of a contract.  Might even net us a comp pick r7.

Great human being, not so great a DT 

I have spoken elsewhere about how there is a right way and a wrong way to play the comp picks game...letting Peko go is the right way, tho most of their other moves have not been.....

Peko fills a need for a thankless job.   He did it well enough.   Probably too many snaps over the course of the season.   

The loss definitely thins them out.   Pat Sims isn't as good and hopefully there won't be any issues with Billings.   Maybe they try to get another younger NT to provide depth?   Maybe a beefy vet to fill in depth?

Denver had the need because they've taken hit at DT through FA the past couple years and it was a weak spot.   

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

IMO,  they need another body.   

we also have Marcus Hardison

From what I gather Hardison isn't a NT.   He's more of a Geno back up.    Their scheme utilizes a NT who is simply there to eat blockers.   IT's a thankless job and one you probably need 2 people to do.    You need big guys but as a consequence Big guys are harder to keep conditioned.   Also take a lot of physical pounding. 

Typically the snap count has been Peko 60%  Sims 40% give and take.     I think the Bengals wanted to retain Peko to take on the 40%. 

Peko and Sims are listed around 325 and 330 and probably play a little heavier.    Asked to play head up and take on blocks not shed and penetrate blockers.

Hardison played and was labeled a natural DE until he was switched to a 3-tech.
If he's now strong enough to handle that load, great.  If not, I wish they would just put him back at a position that seems more natural.
Not like we could take a look see in what he brings from the DE spot.

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

It would be hard to be less productive than Margus Hunt.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't resign Hunt. That would have been typical. 

Hunt is about as big a r2 bust as they've had in a decade. Even others considered  r2 busts pale: Perry, Still, Simpson. There was just nothing there, please don't mention blocked kicks. 

3 hours ago, kingwilly said:

I'm kind of surprised they didn't resign Hunt. That would have been typical. 

Hunt is about as big a r2 bust as they've had in a decade. Even others considered  r2 busts pale: Perry, Still, Simpson. There was just nothing there, please don't mention blocked kicks. 

And watch him go to the pro bowl next year ;)