2017 Season already tanked and we haven't even started preseason yet!

combatbengal

Last season when we lost a good part of our receiving corps, I told my wife and friends that we wouldn’t make the playoffs. A lot of people said that Jones and Sanu wouldn’t be missed and we’d be just fine. Well we weren’t and we didn’t make the playoffs. Today we lost our best offensive lineman and a guard which means that next season is already tanked! Dalton better take out some extra health and life insurance; he’s going to need it. Good bye Andrew and Kevin. Prediction at this point, we go 0-3 or 0-4 and Marvin will be finally let go. I know that was a good laugh for the day – Marvin isn’t going anywhere!

In looking at the whole season LaFell and Boyd did well replacing Jones and Sanu. I posted the comparison recently.

That being said, I expect the loss of both Whit and KZ to hurt worse. Not only the loss on the field, but the message it sends to the other players.

It's not a good look when the team leader basically tells the team to go F*ck themselves.

15 minutes ago, BengalszoneBilly said:

Some folks think losing good linemen is a good financial move for the team. The Bengals can play behind a severely flawed cast of players. I beg to differ. 

Yup. I've seen some bad Bengals olines in my time as a fan but next season's might set an all time record for awful.

24 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Yup. I've seen some bad Bengals olines in my time as a fan but next season's might set an all time record for awful.

Heck, last year's line sucked.  And they just said goodbye to the only two good players on that line.  It's going to be a shit show, and it's going to completely screw up our overall strategy because I believe they'll now use their 2nd round pick on a tackle or a guard.  Other holes go unfilled as we try to backfill this shit.  Missing on Oughbuehi was a major fuckup.  We got nothing out of that pick in year 1, then less/worse than nothing in year 2.  He should be a solid starter now in year 3, but instead the franchise will have to get another tackle as he is seriously threatening to cement his status as an all out bust this year.  Depression sets in.

With Marvin as coach there is a standard level of doubt always about ever reaching Superbowl no matter the season or talent.   He simply has proven to have his teams wilt in the biggest spots.

As for next year regular season.  The Bengals still have some top level players at key spots.   There won't be any solution to the o-line except faith until they are start taking pre season snaps and then regular season snaps. 

I know at the start of FA is never to be realistic or semi-positive but they have reworked several hard situations into outstanding results.   Yes, that does include Paul Alexander turning a 2008 dumpster fire line into among the leagues best.   I don't really care how many people want to discount it, it happened.

8 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Oh god oh god oh god

Not sure how I overlooked this earlier today but this is likely the worst line they've ever fielded, for real. Can't think of a worse group. 

With the FA market now dry at OT, there's nothing but the draft (or a highly unlikely trade) left to right this mess. 

I suppose they could try to throw a huge pile of cash at Sebastian Vollmer but he's unlikely to come back to join this dumpster fire. 

Calling this a dumpster fire is an insult to dumpster fires everywhere. 

• Like 2

Whiffed on Ced, whiffed on Fisher, whiffed on Bodine, whiffed on Andre Smith - still has a coaching job. (2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder).

Not developing anyone other than Boling in the last, what, 10 years? (Zeitler would've been good anywhere he went)

Same old, same old.  And people keep buying this crap.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I don't think we whiffed on Fisher, showed me enough in the final game to earn my confidence as either our starting ORT or ORG in 2017.

Yeah I think Fisher has an upside that I can't see in Ooglyboogly

Yeah, I've made mention before about them needing to get Fisher in one spot and give him the starters reps from the start of OTA's.
If you are going to roll the dice, make the decision now and stick with it.

If you haven't noticed, I'm coming out of my disgust just a little.
I still hate this team, coaches, and front office.
Baby steps.

I think Fisher'd be an excellent ORG, but I'd prefer that they assign him as the OLT or ORT and, as you say, keep him there for all starter reps from OTAs and onwards.

I dont think we've seen him at OLT, but he excelled at that spot in his final year at Oregon after playing most of his college time at ORT. I think OLT is harder to replace than ORT so thats where I would rather see him.

I don't want to see Oogie on the field at at all, even as a OG, until he's had a full year of practice. 2018? Maybe.

They've been grooming Trey Hopkins for a few years now - time to see what he can do as ORT or ORG