Dre Stays

HoosierCat

5 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Glad he's back.   Wait to see the details.     LaFell and Dre are good moves.   Should have tagged Whit and things would have been smooth.

Not tagging Whit could go down as one of poorest moves in club history. It's like they left it to an intern to decide. 

• Like 2

J. Joe and Whit were bad tag/no tag decisions.     J.Joe they rebounded from very nicely.   Honestly, I'm not going to have faith in their next generation of book end tackles until I see it over a period of games.

From the feedback which is subject to change as I'm sure Lap and Hob will have the inside details but...

1. Whit was a target at 11 or 12 mil a year

2. No interest in KZ after talks broke off in Sept.

3. Showed interest in Dre

Why not tag Whit and then go after Dre and your plan is not set back at all.   What a fuck up. 

Could be sitting here winning the offseason with Dre, LaFell, and Whit returning.   Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

Dre is solid, probably a lot better than he's gotten credit for.  I think I would have rather had Logan Ryan but whatever. 

It's kinda silly to mention it today at a time when the o-line is in shambles.   But you have to have depth in coverage to honestly ever think you'll beat the Patriots and Steelers IF they ever got that far in the playoffs and that's fact whether or not you can keep your QB upright.

My pissed-off-ness over Whit has nothing to do with Dre.   Good signing.

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Dre is solid, probably a lot better than he's gotten credit for.  I think I would have rather had Logan Ryan but whatever. 

It's kinda silly to mention it today at a time when the o-line is in shambles.   But you have to have depth in coverage to honestly ever think you'll beat the Patriots and Steelers IF they ever got that far in the playoffs and that's fact whether or not you can keep your QB upright.

My pissed-off-ness over Whit has nothing to do with Dre.   Good signing.

I agree. 

Had they simply tagged Whit, we'd all be giving the management some props.

Offensive side of the ball tool a galactic hit today. Nothing on the roster leads me to believe this will be a competitive team in 2017, draft not withstanding. 

Could they wise up and grab Rief? Doubt it but it'd be a start. 

Solid move to bring Dre back, with Jackson going into his second year (albeit first in play time) with Dennard and Shaw we look pretty good at CB. And that could open the door for Pacman to go if he gets suspended

Not saying it's the right way or the wrong way but Dre's contract is how the Bengals run a harder cap than most of the other teams.  Dre got 7 mil as signing and will get 5.2 mil as roster.

The 5.2 counts entirely on the cap.    The 7 mil is spread over the life.    They could have handed Dre a 12.2 million signing bonus and spread it which would have lowered the cap hit by about 3 mil for this year. 

They don't go cash over cap very much and in the end aren't really wasting cap space in dead money as years go on. 

I use to really pay attention to how they go about handling the cap.
I now chalk it up to every other thing they do.
When the practice produces results, I will give credit where credit is due.

People like to bash what the Ravens have done in being crappy with their cap, missing on players and Ozzie not being the "Wizard" as labeled.
However, I would gladly take all their mistakes along with the two Super Bowl championships.
Here ??  We long for a playoff win doing it the "right way".

• 2 months later...